Kingchuck's (and friends) Street Goblin #435 - 06 LT Manual (Aftermarket Supercharger)

KingChuck24

10/14/2022
Day: 9
Hours Worked: 5
Total Hours: 47

Lot's of work was done yesterday! First off we decided to connect the coolant lines and heat exchanger lines to the engine. The driver side main coolant line went great and so did one of the heat exchanger hoses but I will describe my issues with the other two in the questions. We also got the intake installed which was pretty easy. Still not sure if they MAS is the correct direction but I will post that in quesitons as well. After that me and another friend lifted the subframe and bolted it into place. We figured out we were missing one of the rear subframe mounting bolts so I will have to order a new one of those. I was a little worried about the subframe bolts getting stuck like the control arms but everything has so far gone ok. Only one side left to do. After that it was around 11 but we were on a roll so we kept going and installed the rear passenger side suspension system minus the tie rod which I am confused about as well as the sway bar. We had a little troubled figuring out how to mount the caliper but once we figured out there was an adapter we were able to install it but loosely as we are pretty sure it will need to be removed. We then tried to put on the wheel adapter hubs that we bought but then realized that the inner diameter of the adapter seemed to be a little too small so we will need to sand that out a little so it can fit. We got the wheel mocked up and it just looks amazing. I am absolutely loving the color scheme we decided to go with!

Pictures:

Sorry this one is out of focus, I will get a better one for next post

Questions:
Passenger side main coolant hose:

I do not understand how these meet up, am I not using the correct hose or what? If I try to connect them they will contact the belt.

Heat exchanger hoses:

This is the hose that comes out of the port right next to the intake manifold under the turbo. The hoses provided don't seem to have a bend to facilitate the one above. It is pressing up against the fuel tank, do I need to buy a different piece or how does this actually fit in?

What do these plugs go to:

Summary:

Hopefully today will have a similar good result, lots got done last night so hopefully we can just mirror the other side, only issue is we are missing the other subframe bolt which I was convinced we had but I suppose not. I spoke to Lonny yesterday and he said they are doing a harness about every 2 days, he told me that there were 2 ahead of mine currently I'm not sure if this is accurate but he said 320 and 419 may have been the two in front. He said hopefully Monday October 24 it will be done, coincidentally that is also my birthday so if it somehow arrives then maybe the first start can be then as well! I ordered some parts from a place called GM Parts Direct back on October 3rd and they still haven't shipped out, a little concerning so I might end up canceling the order and getting them from somewhere else, issue is rock auto didn't have some of the things I needed. I will probably give another update tomorrow. Tasks for today are torqueing everything and making sure everything is secure, then attempting to put on the coolant reservoir and some other smaller items and finishing up the coolant system, after which probably doing the rear brakes. Each day we get closer and closer!

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I reused the stock hose on the passenger side.
74AE6163-A9EE-49BF-A5D2-8BDF7200BCE3.jpegA4299F96-DCA7-44D2-9BE9-00BA7BC85B33.jpeg6309364D-103C-49CC-AE70-F8C55FBEA753.jpeg

Those plugs brown with red insides? They are to the stock coolant fans.

Last edited:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Heat exchanger hoses:
View attachment 36411
This is the hose that comes out of the port right next to the intake manifold under the turbo. The hoses provided don't seem to have a bend to facilitate the one above. It is pressing up against the fuel tank, do I need to buy a different piece or how does this actually fit in?
I'd use an elbow for that spot. This one for example.

My dual pass plumbing has so many different splices and clamps it's hard to count. When I pull my engine during the off-season I plan to take detailed pictures of my setup in case anyone needs to reference them. I have the elbow mentioned above, along with splices and tees in my system.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Strange. My passenger side hose goes all the way from the head to the hose in the frame. I didn't have to have a second joint in mine like EscapePilot did. Now, the drivers side has two couplers. I have the hose coming out of the frame to a 90 degree bend section that connects to the stock hose going to the thermostat housing.

KingChuck24

11/3/2022
Day: ?
Hours: 20-30?
Total Hours: 60-80?

Today we got the wiring harness! We also got the new upper control arm with the heim bolts and now all four wheels and suspension is on and the car is rolling! Started to wire everything up with a couple issue that I will describe below.

Questions:
Some of these I forgot to get photos for, sorry!

I printed out the bearing hub ABS caps and they don't fit, do they only fit on certain model of hubs or did I just print it wrong?

There is this t intersection from what I beleive to be the main coolant feed line or whatever it is. It is on the transmission side and I can't figure out what it might go to. Any ideas?

The plug that goes to the top of the supercharger does not seem to be long enough for me, did anyone else experience this?

The postivitve stud that goes from the engine to the fusebox also seems to be way to short. Has anyone experienced this?

How do you pull off the ball inside of the shifter linkage? I took out the little clip that holds it in already, do I just use some force and pull it out. By force I mean like plyers and a vice or something.

I have many more questions but I thought getting these answered first would be best because they are the most pressing issues.

Attachments

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
For the shifter, the bottom of the shift lever? That one for me is very, very tight. I have to take off the DF supplied ball joint and then use leverage to get it off the shift lever. But, even the DF ball joints are tight. If using the stock plastic connectors, get a second set! They break easily leaving you stranded on your first legal drive…
The power cable should run from the battery to the starter. Then another wire runs from the starter to the B+ terminal on the fuse box.
I’ll snap you photos of my coolant hose scheme….

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Thermostat housing junction. I have 4 ports coming off mine
Coolant Master.png

A- Connects to the hose coming out of the drivers frame rail. You have to get creative here. I have a 90 degree bend connecting the frame hose to the stock cobalt hose.
IMG_0909.JPG

B- Connects to a place under the throttle body to this finned cooling thing (technical term). If someone knows the real name, let me know. This is on the front side above the transmission towards the fuel tank region.
IMG_0911.JPG

C- Connects to the coolant overflow bottle.
IMG_0910.JPG

D- Connects to the other port right next to it. Makes a U-shape to get there. This one was tricky, it's not as easy as the video for the LSJ as mine was at a funky angle.
IMG_0908.JPG

KingChuck24

Ok got it. My c connects to something that I have no idea what it is but it is right below my super charger. That t connection likely hooks into the coolant overflow but multiple forum members told me my coolant overflow leads to the nipple above the passenger side main coolant connection. This is all a little confusing but I think I am starting to get it figured out.

On another note we are having to extend the positive cable that goes from the starter to the fuse box due to the fact that it is a couple inches too short.

KingChuck24

11/27/2022
Day: A lot
Hours- 10-20?
Total Hours: 70-90?

Got a lot done since the last update. Wiring harness got installed which came with some issues that were only my own fault. First I accidently installed the main positive cable to the crank case ground which caused the whole thing to short out. After that was fixed I was missing the ground cable that runs from the engine to the frame. That took about 2 weeks to figure out which is pretty unfortunate. Fired it up for the first time and it was running pretty rough at idle. Figured out the MAF sensor was the wrong way around so I fixed that and it runs better but still a little rough. Got some fluids in it and found some leaks that have been fixed so coolant and heat exchanger are pretty much good to go. Got the brakes fully installed and got all the lines ran and tried to bleed them but I am having a lot of trouble with that so I am going through and resealing all of the brake line connections with teflon paste. Got the shifter mechanism installed but not mounted, up and down moment is smooth but side to side is not.

Just today I was moving some wires around and stupidly kept the battery connected. One of the ends of the BCM power wire had some exposed parts and it touched the brake line which created a short and it lit on fire. It was small and quick but it charred the brake line and the connector is broken. Still assessing those damages.

To-Do List:
Bleed Brakes
Rewire BCM Power Wire
Mount Shifter and Fix Side Motion
Wire in Heat Exchanger Pump
Wire in Both Fans
Seats and Harnesses
Button Panel
Organize Wires and Hoses

Summary:
Getting close to being done, the wiring issues are really quite annoying but I am getting better at electrical things which is part of the point of the project. Unfortunately it is snowing and there is snow on the ground here in MN so that means there really isn't time to drive it anymore. Still needs to be registered but it's nice to know that I have the whole winter to work on the car.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Safety first. Make sure you shake the car down well. Double check all your vital torques ... that is not the place to make any mistakes.

Glad to hear your build is nearing completion.

KingChuck24

Safety first. Make sure you shake the car down well. Double check all your vital torques ... that is not the place to make any mistakes.

Glad to hear your build is nearing completion.
I agree, definitely will be taking it slow through all of the test driving. Also going to have a mechanic friend come over and inspect everything.

Josh's09

For the rear subframe bolts, I only had 1 of the 2 needed and ordered this from Bolt Depot:

17785Metric flange bolts, Partial thread, Class 10.9 steel plain finish, 14mm x 2.0mm x 100mm
These worked for the rear subframe? I am headed to home depot today to try and find the correct ones