KJPs 08 TC 6 Speed build

KJP

Hello all,
I am Kelvin and from Cincinnati Ohio.
A friend and I will both be building Goblins over the next few months.
I placed the order for both this week and we will have 74 and 75.
We are still in search of a donor for his car and he is planning on doing a LSJ build.
Current plan is to put the motor in stock this year and we will rip it out and build it over the next winter.

I picked my donor up a few weeks ago so I will put all of that information on here to catch everything up.

I am very excited to get started on this project!

KJP

The day after Thanksgiving I stumbled upon a donor on Craigslist.
It was at a dealership in Pittsburgh and a tree fell on it.
For me this was perfect. For the dealership not so much.
Luckily it had only 37K and was about perfect
IMG_20171126_103351.jpg

We decided to try towing my trailer with my buddy's Tacoma to see if it would be practical to drag it to Texas to pick up the frames
IMG_20171125_070220308.jpg

Turns out it isn't a good option because it averaged 9mpg and from Ohio to Dallas that would not be cheap

The car had been well cared for and was extremely clean so I am happy with the purchase
IMG_20171126_103643.jpg

MVIMG_20171126_104031.jpg

MVIMG_20171125_120128.jpg

This was the first car I have had in the trailer since I picked up the trailer and I was glad it loaded easily

Attachments

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Even at 9 MPGs, it would probably still be cheaper than shipping two frames individually. You might be able to do a bit better with a smaller trailer. Toss one frame in the bed, one on the trailer, and you should be good to go.

Chris Eggert

I hauled my Stage 1 kit from Lexington Kentucky to my home in Tennessee around a 4.5 hour drive in the bed of my Toyota Tacoma 4 door. The 4 door has a really short bed on it. Bed is 78" from the back of the cab to the edge of the tailgate, with the tailgate open. Could easily have hauled another complete Stage 1 kit in my 5x8 utility trailer behind me on the trip.

zcamera-20171221_022547.jpg zcamera-20171221_022615.jpg

KJP

Even at 9 MPGs, it would probably still be cheaper than shipping two frames individually. You might be able to do a bit better with a smaller trailer. Toss one frame in the bed, one on the trailer, and you should be good to go.

I will probably just pick up a 1 way uhaul in Dallas and throw them both in there. Even the enclosed ones are alot shorter than my trailer so shouldn't tank fuel economy as bad. Anyone have frame dimensions?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I will probably just pick up a 1 way uhaul in Dallas and throw them both in there. Even the enclosed ones are alot shorter than my trailer so shouldn't tank fuel economy as bad. Anyone have frame dimensions?
Where are you in ohio? If you figure a way to haul 3 chassis I will split some fuel and travel costs with you.

Johvans

FWIW check prices on this. I towed a car to the SCCA National Championships with the plan to drop it back off with Uhaul for the race week and pick it up again when we left. They essentially wanted to charge me double because it was considered "one way". It was cheaper for me to leave it at the venue all week than to drop it off with them! In hindsight it would've been worth me buying a trailer.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The frame only is shorter than listed in the specs. My frame is a standard length Track frame and it measures out at close to 111" in length it is 52" wide and 42" high
That might be due to the radiator mount redesign. When it's bolted on I'd assume it will add to the overall length. For shipping purposes though, I guess that would save some room.

Chris Eggert

That might be due to the radiator mount redesign. When it's bolted on I'd assume it will add to the overall length. For shipping purposes though, I guess that would save some room.
I measured it twice after I got the frame in my garage to be sure I measured right. Because the guy doing all of my powder coating has a small blast cabinet that is only 125" long x 72" wide on the inside. If it wouldnt fit they were going to have to send it to another shop to blast it which ment more expense on me for the whole job. Its going to fit so Im coming out smelling like a rose on getting all of my powder coating done...

KJP

I decided to start parting out the car as soon as I got it home.
So far it has been a pretty frustrating experience because about 1 in 4 people that say they will show up actually do.

One of the first things to go was the seats
Of course two days later I finally got ahold of the inspection office (after calling every day for a week).
For some stupid reason they said my donor car needed to be signed and titled into my name. The inspector said the title signed over to me wouldn't suffice.
I guess Ohio really needed their tax dollars for it.

So I grabbed the seat out of my eclipse I daily drove forever and need to bring to scrap because the balancer tanked the engine.
Only one bolt lined up but good enough to get it to a dealership for an out of state vehicle inspection
MVIMG_20171202_082028.jpg

I am sure this will now be the next big modification for cobalts.

With that and the taped back window and no exhaust I am sure it was quite a sight.

On the plus side the car drove great!

Attachments

Last edited:

KJP

Not completely goblin related but while looking for another donor car I came across a 2010 with low miles for a good price. It was too nice to make into a goblin but my brother needed a new daily so we went to pick in up 9 hours away in Pennsylvania.
It came with HP tuners pro which was nice because I was planning on buying one anyway.

I had my truck trans flushed at GM a few weeks ago and the trans line was never tightened back down so it popped off at a stop light and dumped 2.5 gallons of new atf on to the street. I fixed it but haven't had time to check and make sure everything else was tightened so we rented a tundra for the drive.
IMG_20171217_142624.jpg

Again about another 9 mpgs
MVIMG_20171217_232026.jpg

My truck does about 12 towing it so not alot of difference.

MVIMG_20171218_091042.jpg

MVIMG_20171217_134948.jpg

It has a few issues I am helping him fix but overall a good buy.
It's been a while since I have gotten on a decently powered fwd car in the cold and it's a bit of a sketchy feeling after driving higher HP AWD and RWD cars for so long.
I drive a Jetta TDI everyday which is front wheel drive but it has no power so it's a much different feeling.

KJP

I finally got around to stripping down the car some
IMG_20171221_103231.jpg

I probably have half an hour more of work and the engine is ready to come out, but it may be a bit because I managed to get the flu.

It will be nice to get the shell out so I have a bit more room to work.

I called around on some wheel quotes and options so we will see what we can come up with.
I haven't decided if I am going to stick with 5x110 or convert to 5x114.3 and it will probably depend on my options of wheels.

RichRich

I am in the same boat on the bolt pattern, have recently been trying to find some wheels that I like in 5x110 and come in both 16" and 17". I need to get some coming because I will be needing them very soon. Make sure to post what you find if you have any luck