KJPs 08 TC 6 Speed build

KJP

I was thinking about 7 in the front would work

I wanted to go 15 front and 17 rear but it looks like I will be going 16 front and 17 rear most likely. If I can figure out the hub conversion I will be going with these
https://konigwheels.com/wheels/main-line-wheels/runlite/

I will probably be picking up some grand am hubs to try next week.
Technically they are 5x115 but they supposedly work for 5x114.3

I actually spoke with my local discount tire and they were very helpful. Pricing is pretty reasonable as well.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The TC axles have a different diameter and spline count on the hub side. Not sure a Grand Am hub will work. If I had to do it all over I'd go with SS/SC axles instead. Much easier to get to the more common patterns.

KJP

The TC axles have a different diameter and spline count on the hub side. Not sure a Grand Am hub will work. If I had to do it all over I'd go with SS/SC axles instead. Much easier to get to the more common patterns.
The grand am hub does work with the axle only issue is technically they are 5x115. There is debate on the internet about running 5x114.3 on here being ok or you dying instantly as soon as the wheel is mounted.
I am going to continue to do some more research.
IMG_20180120_131808.jpg

AleX1/9

You could use PCD Variation or "wobble bolts" and you would be perfectly safe. They use a conical washer with bore larger than the shaft of the bolt to allow 1mm or even more of travel in any direction. They make them in nuts too, like these

https://www.hdwheelsusa.com/products/pcd-adjusting-nuts

The fiat guys have been using them for years to use 4x100 wheels on their 4x98 hubs with great success. Just make sure you also use hub-centric wheels (more likely adapter rings to match the wheel bore to the hub bore.

With this setup, the wheel is perfectly centered and the wheel bolts/lug nuts are NOT under a lateral stress.

I would not recommend just zipping down regular lug nuts. There would be undue stress on the wheel, lug nut, and lug stud. unsafe at worst, not ideal at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJP

KJP

That is great information. I will keep that in mind if I do not find a good option in 5x114.3.

KJP

Well I ended up buying 10 hub assemblies to try in 5x114.3 and not one will work. I will be using the grand am hubs I just need to take a little material off of the knuckle and they will fit.
I will pick up wobble nuts and hubcebtric rings just to make sure everything balances as it should.
I tested the hub on some wheels I have off a Supra and they fit just like a 5x114.3 hub would so this is the option I am going to go with.

KJP

Decided to use this warm weather to get some work done.
I power washed my subframe and then sanded down the rust spots and roughed the paint.
I then put down the first coat of paint. It will be satin black but I used some gloss I had from another project on the first layer.
MVIMG_20180220_203720.jpg

MVIMG_20180221_194111.jpg

Discount tire also had a 100 dollar rebate when you ordered 4 wheels so I ordered the runlites
16x7.5 front and 17x7.5 rear in 5x114.3

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Using my factory struts to build ones following Alex's information. I couldn't bring myself to put the factory springs on after seeing how great his came out.
I agree doing the same thing. The stock springs just look out of place. I am going to follow Alex's information but try to trim the price some .

KJP

I built some coilovers with the OE struts and eBay Civic coil kits over the weekend.
I need to touch up the paint but they came out looking pretty good. The tops are plastic which I don't like so I may have to figure out what else I can do there.
Total cost of about $40
MVIMG_20180225_160258.jpg

MVIMG_20180225_160523.jpg

RichN

I built some coilovers with the OE struts and eBay Civic coil kits over the weekend.
I need to touch up the paint but they came out looking pretty good. The tops are plastic which I don't like so I may have to figure out what else I can do there.
Total cost of about $40
I like it. What year Civic search did you use?
I found some for 88-00 that look similar to yours for $41
Do you think these will work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-88-00-Civic-EG-EK-Front-Rear-Scaled-Lowering-Suspension-Coilover-Springs/302343439174?fits=Year:1996|Model:Civic&hash=item466512c346:g:dlgAAOSwLdBaAoGc&vxp=mtr

KJP

Looks good!

Considering all the weight and stress on the spring caps in this application, you might want to look into something like these

https://technotoytuning.com/universal/parts/conical-upper-hats-coilovers-25-id-springs-22mm-center

Looks like QA1 sells them also but they don’t list the dimensions

Are the spring rates identified on the eBay springs?
I didn't see the hats from QA1 online except for in the kit. I don't trust the plastic so I plan on getting new ones.

I emailed the seller about spring rates but my optimism on getting good information back or any at all is pretty low.

Also the kits I got are all identical for for the 40 bucks you can actually do two goblins.

KJP

Lol as you should. I plan on uprading the parts as I see needed. The collars and lock rings seem decent which was my main concern.

AleX1/9

I didn't see the hats from QA1 online except for in the kit. I don't trust the plastic so I plan on getting new ones.

I emailed the seller about spring rates but my optimism on getting good information back or any at all is pretty low.

Also the kits I got are all identical for for the 40 bucks you can actually do two goblins.
FWIW I've heard the spring rates are pretty high on the ebay springs, like in the 450lb/in range.

The QA1 caps have a slot to slide the strut shaft through, and wouldn't be ideal for the goblin anyway.

Looks like some of the ebay coilovers (and there are thousands of types) come with aluminum spring caps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-88-00-CIVIC-EG-EK-DC-LOWERING-BLACK-SCALED-SUSPENSION-COILOVER-BLACK-SPRING/381909997538?hash=item58eb9c17e2:g:wB0AAOSwL81aPgUU

maybe one of the other guys doing this could order a set and send you the extra pair?

KJP

A few minor updates
My wheels arrived and I love the color on them.
I plan on doing my frame a very similar color.
I ended up going 16 in the front and 17 in the rear in 5x114.3
I have probably owned 10 sets of aftermarket wheels and this is the first set I have ever purchased new.
IMG_20180301_180952.jpg

On an impulse I sold my non LSD F35 and put a deposit on a new trans I will be picking up next weekend after it is pulled from the car.

I am excited to pick up my frame and start to get everything mocked up.

KJP

Because everything seemed too straight forward and like it would go together too well I had to add a little complication and here it is.
MVIMG_20180308_184743.jpg

It needs a powewashing horribly but it's 31 and rainy so that's not happening till it warms up
IMG_20180308_184050.jpg