KJPs 08 TC 6 Speed build

George

Goblin Guru
Did you get the short shaft between transmision and righthe axle?
Did you get the flywheel and clutch, splin if different than GM. If you have the chassis trial fit engine and transmission to make sure it will clear the left side.

Brad

KJP

Did you get the short shaft between transmision and righthe axle?
Did you get the flywheel and clutch, splin if different than GM. If you have the chassis trial fit engine and transmission to make sure it will clear the left side.

Brad
I got the short shaft and it looks pretty much identical to the one off of my F35.
I will be ordering a new F40 flywheel and clutch.

I am picking up my frame later this month. I will test fit everything once it's here I need to figure out the mounts before everything is coated anyway.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I think the bell housing is about 1 inch deeper on a 9-3 than an SS cobalt MU3.

Try to get a comparison measurement from the face of the bell housing to one of the three top transmission mounting bolts holes and compare that to the other transmission.

It may help to screw a long bolt into one of the three holes so you can measure from the bolt back to the bell housing.

KJP

The f40 has a deeper bell housing for sure. They have a stock dual mass vs the single on the F35.
My MU3 is gone so I don't have them to put side by side to compare.

Tinkles

So I won't be the 1st one to toss a F40 in a Goblin. I picked up ZZP's F40 swap kit for the Cobalt SS/TC with the theory that since the Goblin uses the Cobalt drivetrain at least 90% of the swap kit should work.

There is an European company, 4H Tech that makes a short throw shift linkage for the F40 and it isn't horribly priced. Also Quafie and Wavetrac are the only companies that I found that make LSDs for the F40. I plan on running the Wavetrac.

Also Jeffrey Reiland(on facebook) sells 5 lug Cobalt hubs that are redrilled to 114.3 and have APR studs. I plan on using 5x110 to 5x114.3 conversion wheel spacers as a template to drill out my own hubs.

KJP

I started comparing a few items from the 9-3 and cobalt SS TC.
The axle extention seems to be the exact same. Splines are identical and length appears the same.
The axles on the 9-3 may be ever so slightly smaller but they look very close I will compress both fully and have someone else measure.

Cobalt axles feel heavier but that may just be my imagination.
The 9-3 ones look thicker but I think the middle just has a plastic cover over it.
MVIMG_20180320_204348.jpg

Cobalt right 9-3 left

Last edited:

KJP

Well it was a long weekend of driving but I made it down to Red Oak and back this weekend.
I left work at noon Friday and grabbed the truck and trailer.
I left my house with a few friends who helped keep company and split up the driving.

We managed to get stuck in traffic in Cincinnati, Louisville, and Nashville but after that all went smooth.

It was great to meet Lonny and Adam and see where everything is built.

Getting to ride in the goblin made me even more excited to get everything done once I finish up a few other projects that should be complete here soon.

I stopped by my parents on the way back to visit in Nashville which was nice to visit and it broke up the drive. I also grabbed some furniture from them while I had the trailer with me.
Now some pictures!
IMG_20180324_105513.jpg

IMG_20180324_110959.jpg

It's hard to see but 4 frames fit perfectly in the trailer
IMG_20180326_114047.jpg
MVIMG_20180326_115235.jpg

MVIMG_20180326_113925.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yeah, Lonny should have set up shop more centrally located...say Jefferson City, MO. Would have made things a lot easier. Actually, no, don't need more than one Goblin around here.

theeulogy

I did the trip from Parkersburg WV last weekend, left on Friday at 11am, drove till midnight. Got up the next morning at 7am, drove to DF. Hung out there till about 1330, set sail for home and drove again till midnight. Ended up getting home at 1630 on Sunday after 2300 mile trip.

KJP

I did the trip from Parkersburg WV last weekend, left on Friday at 11am, drove till midnight. Got up the next morning at 7am, drove to DF. Hung out there till about 1330, set sail for home and drove again till midnight. Ended up getting home at 1630 on Sunday after 2300 mile trip.
You had about the same drive I did. Did you do that alone? That is alot of driving for one person.

theeulogy

My 18 year old son went with me, but I rented a van, so I ended up driving the whole time. I don't think could have done it alone.

KJP

Finally got a little bit done.
I had initially planned on using the stock sliders which I may still do for the passenger seat but I picked up a nice slider for the driver's side.
I trimmed the front left a tiny bit and had to cut the support that goes to the trans tunnel but other than that it bolted right in
IMG_20180414_111718.jpg

I hooked up the six speed and started mocking overthing up. It is going to be very tight. I was hoping to be able to use the mount they had on there but it looks like I will probably have to cut it off and weld on my own.
It is very tight between the trans and frame so I still need to do some work to make sure I can get everything where it needs to be
IMG_20180414_172904.jpg

I will take a few more pictures later to show how tight it is in there

KJP

A few more pictures of how tight the F40 is in the frame
IMG_20180415_182147.jpg
IMG_20180415_182155.jpg
IMG_20180415_182201.jpg

Where I have tape is where the shift shaft enters the trans. It interferes with the existing trans mount

KJP

No progress on my goblin this weekend except I did find a powder coater I am going to use.

I did however go pick up my a goblin frame with my father in law this weekend.
After seeing mine he decided to build one rather than picking up a new motorcycle.
We had planned on going to Akron to pick up a donor but stumbled upon Allyn selling his frame and drivetrain.
IMG_20180428_112413.jpg

The motor is back out and transmission is off to get a new clutch (my low mile LNF clutch and flywheel), do the timing chain, and do the thermostat and probably a dual pass along with alot of cleaning.

KJP

I left the frame color up to my wife and she picked out a color that matches the wheels. It should look good.
MVIMG_20180505_093308.jpg