Kurb's Intro (So-Cal)

kurbkilla

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm down in Ventura county in So-Cal. I got into HPDE days, track events when I had my FRS in 2013. Learned about the Exocet, so sold the FRS and bought a NB Miata. Had some house bill so I had to sell the Miata, then a few deaths in the family, so last 3 years have not been the best. But I was always looking for a Miata, and with the rising prices on cars it was not looking so good. A friend suggested a Goblin instead of Exocet I was a little hesitant, but again the cost of a Miata was crazy especially if I was going to chop it up and engine swap or F.I. it. In middle of Aug I ended up buying a 2007 SS/SC at an auction for 2.5k had to fix a exhaust leak and replace the brakes, but all and all it's solid. Ended up doing a short track event Oct 2 at Fontana and found an odd shudder/wobble on left turns under WOT. I replace the struts and tire (cheap all-seasons) axles and motor mounts look ok, so have to look into that. 135k mile on the clock I'm excited and nervous to be doing the kit. I've done some auto work and like working with my hands but nothing to this extent, hope to buy the kit in 2022.

I'm a little confused about California's registration for the kit so I need to look into that.

Almost forgot how I got my user name. When I started driving I got an 1983 Toyota Celica and enjoyed watching Initial D, and wanted to try drifting. Went to an empty parking lot lost control and slammed into a planting finger "killing the curb" and technically totaling the car. Had to get it on a rack to bend the frame back.

TL;DR
Wanted an exocet, too expensive. Bought 07 SS/SC. Need help with car wobble under WOT(fixed, broken tran mount and control bushing) and kit registration.
auction.jpeg
First car wash.jpeg
Fontana.jpeg

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nice donor car. I suspect the rubber bushings in the front lower arm, as they are a common wear-out item on that car.
Control Arm Bushing MOOG K201285.
Just a guess, but check that part. The bushing presses into the aluminum front lower control arm... so you have to remove that aluminum arm from your car to refresh the parts.

kurbkilla

Nice donor car. I suspect the rubber bushings in the front lower arm, as they are a common wear-out item on that car.
Control Arm Bushing MOOG K201285.
Just a guess, but check that part. The bushing presses into the aluminum front lower control arm... so you have to remove that aluminum arm from your car to refresh the parts.
Thanks for the advise. I just looked under the car and they are cracked. The passenger side is worst then the driver so if I feel it more on left turns that makes sense to me. Thanks
Pass bushing.jpeg