Kyle's Street Goblin #228- 07 SS/SC Donor

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I'd go centerline first and see how it lines up on the bottom. If you have it lined with the top of the top, then you will lay your arm on it while driving and that won't be the most comfortable I'm sure.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I aligned my side panels such that they sat just below the upper tube's centerline, to try and reduce the amount of gravel that could get trapped between the panel and the chassis. The only other location that I felt was critical was the anchor point where the main hoop intersects to upper tube, as you want to avoid drilling into the weld or the main hoop; this resulted in my panel's leading edge being located well forward of the vertical tube's centerline.

Kyle

We are Street legal and insured! Advice for future builders - UTAH

The process to get registered took a few more visits to the dmv than I would like to admit, but the answer ended up being to go to a state run dmv instead of the local county office.

Things you'll need:
-DF kit car MSO: call DFKC to get this when you're nearly done with assembly.
-Pictures of the Vin and a side/hood shot of the car. Whether or not you are using fenders, just set them on the wheels when you take some pics to make them happy; try to have your car as complete looking as possible.
-Your invoice/repeipt from DF Goblin (you should have this in an email) showing taxes have been paid
-A safety inspection: believe it or not, this isn't technically required, but if you know a place that won't throw a fit about you not having a windshield wiper, and will overlook some of the nitty gritty safety inspection stuff, go ahead and get one. They cost $30 and will save you a lot of headache when getting your registration.

When they ask you what it is and how you want it registered, be open to their suggestions, but know that DF Kit Car is not in the Utah system. I tried to get it added and failed (it did get added under ATV's though). Call the car a roadster. Since the "Make" isn't in their system, they can use code UUU as the make. This basically means unspecified. For the Model, they can put whatever they want. Mine went in as "DF Kit Car - Goblin."

If for whatever reason they deny your request or are being unreasonable, just go to a different state run office. I had zero issues at the Hurricane State DMV office. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

20210514_190301.jpg

Kyle

Shiny Unit Alert!
I had a couple buddies come over to help with the wrap and I'm sure glad I did! Having an extra couple sets of hands was a huge help. To make the process as easy as possible, I actually made a temporary 4x8 table to give us plenty of work space (throwback to the wiring harness). The set up, sanding, cleaning, and wrapping process took about 4-5 hours. We took our sweet time and were very careful. I didn't have enough wrap to make any mistakes. I'm pretty happy with the result! We ended up with an imperfection in the nose, but that is about it.
20210520_001920.jpg
20210520_001728.jpg

Last edited:

KSLunsfo

I have a pine wood derby car from ages ago that's actually painted a very similar pearl white, a really neat color. I bet pictures don't really do it justice compared to walking around the car out in the sun.

Kyle

I bet pictures don't really do it justice compared to walking around the car out in the sun.
It's funny you say that. I kept trying to get a picture of what it looks like as the light glares off it, but a still camera shot just wasn't doing the holographic affect justice. My brothers words were, "Dude! You should put Charzard on your hood and you'd have a drivable Pokémon card!" :p

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Is that 3M ghost flip pearl? Gloss or satin? I came very close to choosing that color. Looks great!

Kyle

Thanks guys! Here is a link to the wrap. I got white:

As far as quality goes. I'd say this is mid teir. It was pretty forgiving, the air channels in the adhesive aren't the best, but it does have them. It repairs and heats pretty well. I wish the adhesive was a little better, but I was working a single sheet for a long time and you can't expect it to stay tacky forever. I ended up applying spray adhesive under the hood where the wrap comes around.

Kyle

What would I have to do to replace the coolant reservoir with something like this, but still use the coolant level sensor? Has anyone done this?
Screenshot_20210521-083808_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20210521-083913_eBay.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Take the sight glass out, plug the top hole and use the bottom hole to mount the sensor. It will need to be adapted or the hole will need to be altered.

Kyle

Yeah that's the issue. I'm not sure I could mount the sensor properly. Maybe a threaded alternative could work?
Pic is of cobalt sensor
ado-13271444_ku.jpg