Kyle's Street Goblin #228- 07 SS/SC Donor

Kyle

Well, the racecar won it's first medal today! The award was for best daily driver. I personally couldn't agree more.
Special shout out to you guys for keeping me motivated and the guys at DF Goblin for making this possible.
Much love from Utah.
20210710_120300.jpg

Kyle

Fuel Pump Question:

My car's fuel gauge doesn't work and that is something I'd like to remedy. I know my float is actuating properly, so I assume the sending unit is bad. I figured I might as well replace the whole unit rather than trying to fix just the sending unit, if that is even possible. My question is:

Do I go with a $50 dollar eBay fuel pump, $250 Bosch, or something in the middle?

Being budget friendly is important to me but so is reliability. If you guys have any recommendations, I'd appreciate it!

jayrolls

Fuel Pump Question:

My car's fuel gauge doesn't work and that is something I'd like to remedy. I know my float is actuating properly, so I assume the sending unit is bad. I figured I might as well replace the whole unit rather than trying to fix just the sending unit, if that is even possible. My question is:

Do I go with a $50 dollar eBay fuel pump, $250 Bosch, or something in the middle?

Being budget friendly is important to me but so is reliability. If you guys have any recommendations, I'd appreciate it!
Check Rock-Auto. I would check but not sure what your donor is.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
AC Delco or Delphi is what I use here at work and have a very low failure rate with (almost none anymore).

Quick look up, this should be your part number.
ACD MU2221

Ross

Goblin Guru
Chad measured the fuel sender resistance here for a 2007 SS SC LSJ.
The stock sender unit doesn't work very well in our custom gas tanks... maybe this 10" one would work better.
They also make different length ones. Pretty cheap at $29.

Kyle

This information is great guys! I really like the sending unit, Ross included... I wonder if I could retro fit that to the existing pump with a little bracket and just cut and splice the wires. I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide to do!

Scott #321

My 2 cents worth from 30 years in automotive service. I never skimp on fuel pumps, ac compressors or master cylinders. Just my experience with aftermarket and rebuilt replacement parts. None of this applies to the performance aftermarket lines as I worked general repair and service.

Kyle

Shout out to you guys for all your help and suggestions! I ended up going with Ross's idea. This is the sending unit I got:
Screenshot_20211015-211004_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I drilled a 1.5 inch hole for the sending unit to slip down in, and then 5 holes for it to bolt up to. Be weary of the "slosh/support rail" in the bottom of the tank when deciding where to put it. I bought new hardware as well. This is how it turned out:
20211015_193049.jpg

The wiring was easy. On the fuel pump connector, you SPLICE one end into the black ground wire and CUT the purple wire and connect the second end to that.

The only downside is the sending unit is pretty cheap, so it doesn't use a continuous resistor. That means your gas gauge is only going to read in ~6 positions. My gauge didn't work at all so this is a huge improvement for me. I've run out of gas twice. Hopefully this will remedy that habit.

I might provide an update as to how much fuel the car takes when my gauge shows empty. I'm hoping around 6.5-7 gallons. They are 9 gallon tanks right?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Kyle

I have a question that make some people roll their eyes... but can the heat exchanger and the radiator share a reservoir or are the different temperatures a concern? I'd like to install a Tee where the little heat exchanger reservoir is and route it to a nice aluminum reservoir that would be shared with the engine coolant. I just kind of figured that it wouldn't matter since the heat exchanger reservoir is a flow through style anyway.
Thoughts???

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't do. The radiator reservoir is pressurized and I don't see how it wouldn't act as one system, Which means the hot engine water would act likely heat the intercooler. Do you even need a reservoir on the heat exchanger system for anything other than a fill/ air bleed? I don't have one on my TC and I'm planning to remove the reservoir on my SC Camaro.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The heat exchanger is usually near ambient temperature (80F today). It warms up a bit (say 15 degrees) when driven hard (with a stock SC LSJ). If there was radiator fluid in there, it would be 180F degrees, which would be heating your intake air instead of cooling it.
The stock reservoir for the heat exchanger only holds a few ounces of fluid. You are better off keeping them separate. I have 2 different color coolants, so I can tell which system is leaking, if I have a leak.

Kyle

Okay cool. I'll keep them separate then. I'm just trying to simplify things and doll up my engine bay a bit.

Kyle

Well, I tried changing up the way my ambient light sensor works and I'm pretty sure I some how really screwed up my car. I read you can swap out the sensor with a resistor to keep the dash lights at full brightness. This is when my dash stopped working.

I've checked every fuse with a multimeter. Twice. Nothing is blown. I can start the car if I jump the relay, but if I try to start it with the key it makes a terrible noise. None of my dash guages are working. An obd2 reader will show rpm and speed. Cruise control won't work. Signals and Hazards work, but the gauge cluster doesn't show indication. My brights don't work either.

Where the dash shows the mileage. Mine will show the mileage for a couple seconds when I turn the key but then go to dashed lines across the whole thing.

I'm really nervous. Hopefully it is nothing serious but I don't know what to do.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Where is the terrible noise coming from when you try and start it with key? Have you tried unplugging the instrument cluster?