L61/LAP/LE5

MJP61

I am in the process of trying to choose a donor. What are some pros and cons on choosing L61 vs. LAP? I know I want an automatic NA car. Just not sure if there is any benefit to choosing one engine over the other. Any info is greatly appreciated. I believe difference in the 2 is VVT and and secondary air injection on 2009 & 2010 models.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Yeah, the LE5 was the fitted in the NA SS trim that later became the Sport, and could be optioned with an auto. If you do choose an L61, get a later model year (Gen 2 block, improved head, and an ECU that is compatible with HP Tuners).

MJP61

Seems like the LAP cars are more available than the others. Does The LAP have secondary air pump and egr valve? If so, do these get removed for the goblin?

Dsteinhorst

I'm not sure you'd notice much difference between an LAP and an LE5 in a Goblin. With that said, if my LAP blew up, I'd be hunting down a 2.4

I believe only certain LAP engines got SAI, but it gets deleted for the Goblin. Need to get a new exhaust manifold. $50 eBay header works with a bit of water tube mods. If you have further LAP questions, you can message me. It was super easy to use.

The main reason to use LAP over earlier 2.2 is the 10HP bump, partially thanks to the VVT.

MJP61

I might have found a donor car (LAP) with blown engine for cheap. Thinking about buying this and then putting in an LE5. Any thoughts, concerns or suggestions? Is it possible? What is needed for this to be done?

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I got a 2008 cobalt sport with the LE5 and automatic transmission. Besides the 20-30HP bump compared to the L61/LAP, you have higher torque to accelerate. I have a 3.91 final drive vs. 3.63 for the 2.2L. They also come with lighter aluminum lower control arms, rear disk brakes that have the right cables for parking brake, larger and wider alloy wheels which can save you $ vs, replacing the 15" steelies, though the bolt pattern isn't the best for wheel selection if you are set on aftermarket. Good luck with your search.

I would not try to replace a LAP with a LE5 because the LAP is not VVT so you will possibly have ECU and wiring harness issues. not insurmountable but not worth the hassle for the HP bump.

Joe

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I might have found a donor car (LAP) with blown engine for cheap. Thinking about buying this and then putting in an LE5. Any thoughts, concerns or suggestions? Is it possible? What is needed for this to be done?
I don't know if the LAP and LE5 share the same ECU, but the LAP does take advantage of VVT and some other head improvements from the LE5. If it were me though, I'd try to keep things simple by replacing the engine with the same code.

Traé

I'm not sure you'd notice much difference between an LAP and an LE5 in a Goblin. With that said, if my LAP blew up, I'd be hunting down a 2.4

I believe only certain LAP engines got SAI, but it gets deleted for the Goblin. Need to get a new exhaust manifold. $50 eBay header works with a bit of water tube mods. If you have further LAP questions, you can message me. It was super easy to use.

The main reason to use LAP over earlier 2.2 is the 10HP bump, partially thanks to the VVT.
What’s your reasoning for wanting an LE5? I’ve found an 06’ LE5 donor but want an LSJ. Having trouble finding one that’s not too expensive or has too many miles.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
What’s your reasoning for wanting an LE5? I’ve found an 06’ LE5 donor but want an LSJ. Having trouble finding one that’s not too expensive or has too many miles.
I think it comes down to "no replacement for displacement" 2.4 LE5 vs 2.2 for LAP and 2.0 for LSJ/LNF. The LSJ is all forged so stock you don't have to do anything to make near 350hp. The LAP/2007.5+ LE5 are all cast and good for 250 hp but can be built up to anything you want. The 2006-2007.5 have forged connecting rods but still cast pistons which could be good for a little bit more power but piston and rings seem the weak link regardless. Both the LE5 and the LAP have VVT so that is another tuning variable to deal with.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I think it comes down to "no replacement for displacement" 2.4 LE5 vs 2.2 for LAP and 2.0 for LSJ/LNF. The LSJ is all forged so stock you don't have to do anything to make near 350hp. The LAP/2007.5+ LE5 are all cast and good for 250 hp but can be built up to anything you want. The 2006-2007.5 have forged connecting rods but still cast pistons which could be good for a little bit more power but piston and rings seem the weak link regardless. Both the LE5 and the LAP have VVT so that is another tuning variable to deal with.
To add on to this, the LE5 wiring wise is identical to the LAP. Same crank trigger wheel, can sensors, everything. So its a "drop in" upgrade for an LAP build, minus a tune of course.

Dsteinhorst

Yeah, it's more of a mid-range torque motor rather than high RPM screamer. Applies more to how I drive. I would find an 06 for the forged rods.

While the LAP is regarded as fairly weak, there's quite a bit of first hand evidence that it might be a bit more stout than it gets credit for.

Jmar1622

I have an l61 and would go le5 if I did it again. GM is starting to discontinue l61 parts. Le5 is still in use (slingshot). An 08 l61 can be converted to an le5 somewhat easily but I would just start with an le5.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
I have an LAP with all you need for sale.