LDK build with base model cobalt

I am planning to build a Goblin but I am having trouble finding a suitable SS donor car. I was wondering how difficult and expensive it would be to use a LDK engine from zzp and possibly the f35 transmission with the rest of the parts from a base model cobalt.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The ECM is not compatible. The engine wire harness and parts of the chassis wire harness are different. The suspension control arms, ball joints and steering joints are different (FE5). The drive shafts are different in size. The fuel pump is different in mounting and fuel line routing. These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Lonny or Adam can probably provide a more comprehensive list.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
You can always build a base 2.2 and beef it up later.

SS donors are far more rare than base donors, but they do pop up from time to time. Where are you located?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
My best advice is keep an eye on Copart. I see a Run-and-Drive 2006 SS/NA (2.4L) on Copart - Peoria, but it's high mileage (182k) and it's a naturally-aspirated 2.4L with an automatic, rather than a 2.0L supercharged.

I did not check IAA.

There's lots of wiley 20-something guys out there that provide us with beautiful donor wrecks every day!

Parson Green

Mr Dan, what is a "suitable ss donor" from your perspective?

Our ss donor had front and rear impact damage plus it had rolled over. With 82K miles on the odo and zero aftermarket/performance mods, it has been a VERY satisfactory donor. Here's a link that you might find helpful:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's an SS/TC that looks extra-extra sweet:

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Suitable mainly means within my price range. (Preferably less than $1500) Also, it needs to be a manual. This will be a summer project so I go have some time to find one.

Last edited:

Dsteinhorst

I drove to Detroit from WI to pick up a running driving base model with 96k miles for $850. Touch expensive for what it is, but I got to drive it 500 miles home! I didn't want to deal with the logistics of a junked car.

Parson Green

I drove to Detroit from WI to pick up a running driving base model with 96k miles for $850. Touch expensive for what it is, but I got to drive it 500 miles home! I didn't want to deal with the logistics of a junked car.
For several excellent reasons (and as mentioned multiple times by Lonny including to me personally), insurance-salvage auctions (e.g., IAAI, Copart) are his top recommendation as a source for donor vehicles.

PyroGuy923

I got my SS donor from IAAI.com and used Montway Auto Transport to ship it from Tucson, AZ to Ohio back in Dec. Happy with the process thus far.