LE5 ---> LSJ or just bolt the blower on my 2.4?

Wes

So I came across a complete LSJ, trans, engine harness, PCM and even the cradle for a sweet deal. The only thing I didn't get was the starter, the rest of car went to the crusher. I've been looking for the s/c and accessories for a while but this came along for less than I thought I'd spend on the parts. Now I don't know if I should swap the whole engine/trans or stick with my original plan and just put the blower on my current setup.

Not sure if it has the LSD, that would be a good enough reason to swap it. Also not sure how to figure that out either since the label in the trunk is now part of a metal cube. My 2.4 has almost 250k miles so planning a rebuild there anyways, this LSJ only has 140.

Adam/Lonny would probably know best, but how hard would it be to switch the entire setup over vs just adding the blower? I can see quite a few differences visually but nothing obvious that would make it impossible. Mostly concerned about parts that come with one kit vs another. The shift linkage and clutch line look different for sure, engine mounts as well.

Any help here would be great!

Attachments

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The LSJ block is a much stronger block and is made to handle the boost. The 2.4 is not, not that it can't be done. I would go with the LSJ. post a pic of the transmission plate, it give clue as to if it's and LSD. However, the LSD is not really that big of a deal with the engine in the rear now, both tires will get better traction. The only issue I can think of is marrying the ECM to the BCM, but it can be done. If your donor didn't have the 5-speed, you will need to source the shifter. The starter was probably toast anyways, rarely do they make the transition from the donor to the car. With a 140K, I'd do the timing chain set and leave the rest. The clutch is not an issue,mall you really need is the clutch pedal and M/C.

Tinkles

The M62(LSJ supercharger) will not produce enough power to hurt a stock LE5(or L61). The added compression and displacement will only help to make more power with the same mods versus the LSJ. I say put the M62 on the LE5, drop a few pulley sizes, and have fun.

Wes

The one wheel burnouts scream NEED LSD!!! LOL. Mine is already a manual, just looking at where the line goes into the trans and is way different. Didn't know I'd need the BCM, too late I guess. The starter is the one thing they needed to pull for core charge o_O I attached the pic of the trans plate...

I figured the larger displacement would make similar power with lower boost, definitely going to shrink the pulley some too. I know I'll have to tune it, upgrade injectors, add Map reference yada yada. Not to mention all the extra plumbing. This motor was always on the docket for a rebuild, has some compression issues lol. Still bangs the rev limiter in 1-3 without trying too hard. I think it could take more rpm, would like to find out but..

Looks like the belt routing will require the A/C compressor mod...

Still have a couple of months of good weather until this all goes down, stoked about the meet at TOD at the end of this month!

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This is not 100% definitive coming from me, but your plate looks very much like my plate and according to my build sheet, I have the LSD. By the way, this is what happens when you use too much degreaser. I was freaking out as I watched the information fade away.

The final drive ratio is 4.05, for what it's worth.

1538701263773.png

1538701394870.png

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The one wheel burnouts scream NEED LSD!!! LOL. Mine is already a manual, just looking at where the line goes into the trans and is way different. Didn't know I'd need the BCM, too late I guess.
They can provide a clutch line for the SS/SC transmission and it should work just fine.

I can't personally say, but from what I hear from others that have non-LSD equipped transmissions, it's really not a problem.

Wes

This is not 100% definitive coming from me, but your plate looks very much like my plate and according to my build sheet, I have the LSD. By the way, this is what happens when you use too much degreaser. I was freaking out as I watched the information fade away.

The final drive ratio is 4.05, for what it's worth.

View attachment 5436

View attachment 5437
Yeah, the degreaser was on sale this week at the auto parts place down the road...