Learn from my suffering - MAP sensor information

Goblinfanclub1234

2008 SS/TC LNF
=============

For months and months I could not figure out why in HP tuners my boost pressure was always reading 15.9 psi, I was getting maybe a max of 8-10 psi on the road and the butt dyno was not happy.

I replaced my map sensors with the ZZP 3 bar MAPs w/tune
I started troubleshooting the boost and wastegate control solenoids

months go by

then I realize that I HAD THE MAP SENSORS IN THE OPPOSITE SPOTS *BIG FAIL*

the 3-wire map goes on the manifold and
the 4-wire map goes in the cold side air charge pipe

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Silly mistakes are part of the learning process. I bet the next time you take the engine out you do not make the same mistake. I've always learned more from these 'failures' than things going smoothly.

Goblinfanclub1234

FULL BOOST! very happy butt dyno.

However, when I go over 18 psi I get a lot of smoke from the engine, I am not surprised since cylinder #4 (the one closest to the trans) has around 100 psi on a compression test. I am thinking it might be bad rings forcing boost into the crankcase and into the PCV carrying oil out of the crank and into the turbo. Which makes sense because the donor intercooler was full of oil.

Bummer!!! My winter plans include engine work. I regret buying a piece of trash donor.

Goblinfanclub1234

All of my PCV hoses are clean and dry
vacuum hose to the BPV is clean and dry
Intake piping is clean and dry

The intercooler piping is a LAKE OF OIL.
The turbo outlet is soaked in oil

Can I conclude that the oil must be coming from a bad turbo seal?

I am seeing brand new K04 turbo cartridges fully balanced for $90. seems like I should try that first.

Goblinfanclub1234

the turbo was in poor shape but this also pretty much confirms my bad cylinder #4 with medium-low compression has bad rings causing extra blow by to pressurize the crank case and blow oil out of the turbo.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Seems to be a trend lately. :( I think you are the third one or so with the same problem in the last few weeks.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If the tune isn’t adjusted, the turbo may over boost in the Goblin. Probably doesn’t happen with a pure stock tune, but if it’s been tuned it might not have the control correct with the shorter exhaust and different intake.

My reading indicates a healthy K04 doesn’t like to be over about 22 psi. Probably a well worn one wouldn’t last long at that pressure.

Last edited:

Goblinfanclub1234

I begrudingly pulled the intake manifold and the PCV valve was completely failed. at least the part is cheap. getting closer to being able to hold boost now.