Learning to tune!

Keckster

Anyone willing to help me learn how to tune or know if any good resources to learn? I just got my goblin running but the engine has a few upgrades needing tuning and I honestly don’t know where to start. I already have an mpvi2 and hptuners from disabling VATs. Thanks in advanced

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Have you read through the how to posts in this forum?
The HP Tuner forum will have a lot of how to’s but you will have to dig.

Ross

Goblin Guru
"Goat rope garage" on YouTube is how I learned to tune. Kyle refers to my 2006 Cobalt engine as a "Gen 3". Watch a bunch of his videos is a good start, and feel free to pick my mind.

Iwanttogofast

I'll be following this one, as well. I have no fear when it comes to diag & repair of components / parts. I am a little apprehensive about the tuning side, as I don't have any real experience doing this with a DLC port and laptop. Keep us updated!

Keckster

What are your mods. One of us may have a tune already
06 SS/SC Mods:
-4340 Rods
-Forged JE Pistons
-Balance shaft delete w/ short chain
-Siemens 60lb Injectors
-82lb Valve Springs w/ Titanium Retainers
-ZZP stage 2 SC Cam
-2.7 inch SC pulley
-Oversized ATI Damper

I don't necessarily want a full blown tune as I do want to learn how to tune myself for the future but a stable idle would be nice to start. Watching A few videos I've decided I need to purchase a wide band before I start tuning. Can I just replace the stock O2 with a wideband or will i need to weld a bung on the exhaust?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I don't necessarily want a full blown tune as I do want to learn how to tune myself for the future but a stable idle would be nice to start. Watching A few videos I've decided I need to purchase a wide band before I start tuning. Can I just replace the stock O2 with a wideband or will i need to weld a bung on the exhaust?
I can understand that.

Yes, you’ll need a wide band O2. You should have a zzp header with a O2 bung and the DF supplied muffler should have one too, for technically the post cat O2. You can remove the O2 in the muffler pipe and install the wide band there. This way your pre cat O2 in the header can control the engine management, like it’s supposed to and the wideband can report its readings.

Keckster

I can understand that.

Yes, you’ll need a wide band O2. You should have a zzp header with a O2 bung and the DF supplied muffler should have one too, for technically the post cat O2. You can remove the O2 in the muffler pipe and install the wide band there. This way your pre cat O2 in the header can control the engine management, like it’s supposed to and the wideband can report its readings.
Unless I’m stupid I checked the entire df supplied muffler and there is no o2 bung on it… oh well, good excuse to learn to weld haha

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Unless I’m stupid I checked the entire df supplied muffler and there is no o2 bung on it… oh well, good excuse to learn to weld haha
No 'stupid' involved on your part, the DF mufflers don't come with an O2 bung. Welding one in, as you stated, is the way to add a second sensor location for the wideband. On my list of things to do eventually on my build. ;) Merry Christmas!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Mine did. -shrug shoulders- maybe they just like me more. I wouldn’t state something if it wasn’t true
8DA0AE90-B6B1-4EA8-83FF-109239C4C97A.jpeg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We removed the O2 bung from the 2.5" exhaust because customers kept having to source an O2 plug to seal off the unused hole.

Turbo and supercharged engines have the primary O2 in the exhaust manifold up near the engine.

Most customers don't use a second bung.

Iwanttogofast

Just my opinion, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Seems to me that it's much easier for builders to plug than try to find a way to get a bung welded in.

Keckster

I have finally gotten around to installing the PLX wideband and it works perfectly. Problem now is I don't even know where to start. I found one problem with the surging idle cause I forgot to connect my brake boost Vac line. However, now that there are no vacuum leaks the engine wont even run. It'll fire and try to start but nothing on its own. I've been doing lots of reading and watching Goat Rope on tuning but i feel eway over my head on where to start... I guess my questions for this post are:

Where do I start to just get a stable base idle?
I also don't have the charge pipe for the MAF yet so idk if that is what is hurting me right now