Lechlis's Track Goblin - 06 SS Donor - Chassis #173 - Registered

Lechlis

I decided to break this out of the solid shifter discussion. I believe I may have added some confusion by throwing it into the middle of a conversation. Below is the post.

EDIT: I printed this and it is a very tight fit. I need to tweak it a little before it is truly functional.

"I am in Finland for the next month with some time to burn, so I figured I would make my contribution to this topic.

I have removed the factory plastic linkage adapters and replaced them with metal ends. Much like the new DF kit. However, I still had some slop which was coming from the factory shift bushing. Not the little one for the side to side motion, but the larger one that the shift lever actually rides in. The shifter takes up slop in the bushing before the shift cable actually moves. So, before I left the US, I took some measurements so I could work on a solution while I am sitting in the hotel.

Attached is the STL for my perception of an improved shifter bushing. I have not tested or even printed a prototype. So, if anyone is bored, print one off and give me some feedback. I made the tolerances basically nonexistent, so it will be snug, but potentially excessively. Let me know and I will edit it.

The bushing snaps around the ball on the shifter, so I am thinking that soaking the printed bushing in some warm/hot water will help with the install and prevent cracking. Also, given that the tolerances are quite tight, some kind of dry lube will probably help smooth the motion until it wears in."

Attachments

Last edited:

Lechlis

Here is an overdue update.

The Goblin is still sitting like it was in the pictures a few posts (and months) back. All of the miscellaneous wiring and components that can be installed without the head installed has been. I also installed a new oil cooler with a thermal fan switch since I wanted zero risk of cross contamination from the first engine's misfortunes. I also grabbed a set of side panels from @Fozda. They are at Tinsley's getting powder coated to match the frame, then they will be wrapped to match the hood.

At the end of August 2020, I ordered a new set of valves. Through a series of less than ideal and unfortunate events, I am still lacking a single intake valve... I received word last week that it should be here this week. @OptimizePrime offered up his factory LNF valves a couple weeks ago, so I visited him, his Goblin, and pulled the valves with the intent to get the Goblin together before the Finland trip. Once I heard I might finally have a full set of valves, I put that on hold.

So, when I return to the US later in February, I expect to promptly get the head finished and have the Goblin running again!

Lechlis

A few random pictures for those interested.

I am in Kouvola primarily. Quite a lovely place really. The plan for this weekend is to visit Virmajärvi. It is one of the easternmost points in the EU. I should be able to get a peek at Russia.

Attachments

Lechlis

I have been planning to continue using the stock MAF and increasing boost until I reached its limits. The AFC offerings to get around the MAF limitations just do not appeal to me. I was looking through the PMAS MAF offerings and found that ZZP has actually added one to their website recently. I like this solution much better than the inline AFC, so I believe this will be an addition in the future. Then we can start honing in on some bigger power numbers.

EDIT: Ended up staying with the stock MAF sensor

PMAS HPX MAF

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Forgive my ignorance, I'm hoping this could be an opportunity for me to learn something. What makes this a preferable alternative to putting your existing MAF in a larger diameter intake tube?

Lechlis

Forgive my ignorance, I'm hoping this could be an opportunity for me to learn something. What makes this a preferable alternative to putting your existing MAF in a larger diameter intake tube?
Good question. You definitely could just keep sizing the pipe up.

However, as the tube diameter gets larger, the MAF starts to lose resolution. So the quality of low airflow readings becomes less accurate and can create a poor idle, etc.

I currently have a 3” MAF tube and it is quite tight with the space constraints and, frankly, I see increasing the tube diameter as a bandaid. I did add one of THESE to help with some poor driving characteristics caused by the tight bends in my intercooler piping layout. It helped quite a bit and the MAF readings are much smoother when data logging.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lechlis

Have a close up of the exocet mounts fro 9lives? I have DF uprights and want to make sure they are compatible with minor modifications
Total estimation here as I am traveling this week...

From memory, the DF mounting holes are roughly 3-4 inches apart, while the NLR Exocet holes are ~5-6 inches. Some hole drilling would be required to adapt the NLR wing to the DF mounts for sure.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I've designed a new pylon that uses the NLR style of AOA adjustment for Exocet mounts (-5° to 20°, IIRC) vs using turnbuckles. I still need to have them cut though.

Lechlis

I have tracking on the remaining valvetrain stuff... It should be here early this week. Then the head will be going to the machine shop to be decked and the oversized valves fitted. After that, I can finally get rolling on the last part of reassembly!

For the exhaust, I have been working with Rock Solid Motorsports in Statesville, NC since late 2019. Fortunately for them, but a bit unfortunate for me, their online order volume is becoming pretty substantial. I have been on the waiting list since then to take the Goblin in for a fancy fabricated exhaust. As of our last conversation not long ago, they are not taking in any new fabrication jobs and the timing for my appointment is still unknown. At this point, I have decided to forgo the custom exhaust and ordered a simple pre-fab pipe similar to the cheap one I was using initially. Just a bit more professional looking and without the flex pipe... lol. I can have this ceramic coated and maybe weld a tip onto it. Having said that, Stephen and RSM have been wonderful to deal with. It is in no way meant to be a negative toward them. It is just a reflection of my desire to put the final 'bow-tie' on this part of the project.

Last edited:

dastrups

Have a close up of the exocet mounts fro 9lives? I have DF uprights and want to make sure they are compatible with minor modifications
Sorry for taking so long. Here is the picture of the 9lives mounts. Lechlis custom made these uprights for me for a reasonable price and they are killer! Thanks Lechlis!

Attachments