Lechlis's Track Goblin - 06 SS Donor - Chassis #173 - Registered

Lechlis

Here is a quick ho-hum summary on what has transpired over the last month.

Valve arrives March 11th. Said valve was unwrapped and dimensionally correct but obviously different (See attachments). Retailer offers to exchange with a 3 month lead time. SuperTech offers to exchange the valve free of charge so that I have 8 matching intake valves with a 1 week lead time. Valve for exchange arrives at SuperTech March 23rd. March 30th, SuperTech states that the valve shows signs of being lapped and installed, so the exchange is invalid, but will contact me once they have a valve made and reach to ship.

I did take the head, seals, retainers, springs, keepers, and exhaust valves to the machine shop. The head has been decked and the oversized exhaust valves are installed.

We are just in a holding pattern until I have a complete set of intake valves...

Attachments

dastrups

Here is a quick ho-hum summary on what has transpired over the last month.

Valve arrives March 11th. Said valve was unwrapped and dimensionally correct but obviously different (See attachments). Retailer offers to exchange with a 3 month lead time. SuperTech offers to exchange the valve free of charge so that I have 8 matching intake valves with a 1 week lead time. Valve for exchange arrives at SuperTech March 23rd. March 30th, SuperTech states that the valve shows signs of being lapped and installed, so the exchange is invalid, but will contact me once they have a valve made and reach to ship.

I did take the head, seals, retainers, springs, keepers, and exhaust valves to the machine shop. The head has been decked and the oversized exhaust valves are installed.

We are just in a holding pattern until I have a complete set of intake valves...
Has to be frustrating waiting on that. Hope those things get there quick. Have you been looking at different wheels?

Lechlis

Has to be frustrating waiting on that. Hope those things get there quick. Have you been looking at different wheels?
For sure. It is only minorly irritating in the grand scheme of things, but I just hate not having more control over the situation.

For the wheels, I have been, but ultimately decided to stick with what I have. I sunk a relatively substantial amount of cash into the current wheels and tires, so I am going to just roll with it. Lol.

dastrups

For sure. It is only minorly irritating in the grand scheme of things, but I just hate not having more control over the situation.

For the wheels, I have been, but ultimately decided to stick with what I have. I sunk a relatively substantial amount of cash into the current wheels and tires, so I am going to just roll with it. Lol.
Haha I see what you did there. I imagine the engine build is not cheap either.

Lechlis

I have kind of lost interest in the Goblin recently but the weather is finally getting nice and I am on vacation for a couple weeks, so I decided to spend the day catching up on my neglect.

I made all new oil cooler hoses and replaced the oil cooler to alleviate any worries of contamination from the bearing failure last fall. I then installed a fan on the cooler with an inline thermal switch to control it. I also installed the coolant hoses with a thermostat this time. Coolant temps obviously fluctuated depending on ambient temps and vehicle speed with no thermostat, so I think this will help ensure stable tuning and drivability. I was then able to get a few miscellaneous items installed and put the wing on as well.

After that was all wrapped up, I spent like 2 hours wiping the dust layer off of everything. It was bad... The engine was sealed in plastic wrap, so no worries there.

At this point, there is not much I can do until I have the head wrapped up but it should go back together in an evening once I have it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lechlis

It’s alive (Again)! I will not lie, I was pretty nervous, but it started right up. It is visibly rich, so some tuning is needed, but that is a job for this weekend. I will get some videos for you all tomorrow during daylight.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lechlis

I had to walk away from it a few times, but I think I have figured this thing out. The big injectors definitely behave differently and I ended up scaling the entire tune to make it all work. I am only messing with the cranking, idle, and light throttle stuff since I have a little more invested in this engine than the original donor engine.

Last edited:

dastrups

Gotta feel so good to get it running! I’m struggling with electrical and can’t get mine started. Working with Lonny and some guys on the forum to get it figured out. Can’t wait til that day.