Lechlis's Track Goblin - 06 SS Donor - Chassis #173 - Registered

Lechlis

Looks great,,,, where did you get your seat covers?
They are from Corbeau. I have the "Sport Seat Saver" but I see there is now an option for "Fixed Back Seat Saver". I am not sure why I did not buy those... lol.

KSLunsfo

They are from Corbeau. I have the "Sport Seat Saver" but I see there is now an option for "Fixed Back Seat Saver". I am not sure why I did not buy those... lol.
I ordered the fixed back seat savers a few weeks ago, they're back ordered into August unfortunately.

Lechlis

A much needed positive update!

I have been out of town for the last few weeks, so I was not able to mess with the Goblin until this past weekend. I was having idle and light throttle issues with the ID1050X injectors, so I ended up buying a set of 650cc split spray EV14 injectors from Fuel Injector Connection. FIC also provides injector data that plugs right into HP Tuners. The improvement in drivability is extremely noticeable. I cannot say whether the improvement is from the increased control of the smaller injector or the split spray, but I would highly recommend this route over the more common options that ZZP/OTTP offer. Another benefit is that they flow 62.3 lb/hr at 43.5psi, which is just inside the limitations of the SS/SC ECU and eliminates another variable since there seems to be some contention about the effectiveness of the Flow Rate v Volt Multiplier or the complexities of scaling the entire tune.

On Saturday, I got the injectors installed, MAF tuned, and VE roughed in. This totaled about 100 miles of driving. I still need to get the WOT stuff dialed in with the wideband, but idle and light throttle driving is perfect now.

Sunday I decided to enter the Goblin in the local parade. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled the heat. It will take some time before I am 100% confident in the Goblin's reliability for longer drives, but so far it is doing well. As all Goblin owners know, I got a ton a comments and many pictures were taken.

I also should have the side panels back from powder coat soon and am looking forward to installing those. I am traveling this week and next, but I should be able to get a video over weekend for everyone! In the meantime, here are some pictures I took Sunday!

Attachments

Last edited:

dastrups

I have been out of town for the last few weeks, so I was not able to mess with the Goblin until this past weekend. I was having idle and light throttle issues with the ID1050X injectors, so I ended up buying a set of 650cc split spray EV14 injectors from Fuel Injector Connection. The improvement in drivability is extremely noticeable. I cannot say whether the improvement is from the increased control of the smaller injector or the split spray, but I would highly recommend this route over the more common options that ZZP/OTTP offer. Another benefit is that they flow 62.3 lb/hr at 43.5psi, which is just inside the limitations of the SS/SC ECU and eliminates another variable since there seems to be some contention about the effectiveness of the Flow Rate v Volt Multiplier or the complexities of scaling the entire tune.

On Saturday, I got the injectors installed, MAF tuned, and VE roughed in. This totaled about 100 miles of driving. I still need to get the WOT stuff dialed in with the wideband, but idle and light throttle driving is perfect now.

Sunday I decided to enter the Goblin in the local parade. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled the heat. It will take some time before I am 100% confident in the Goblin's reliability for longer drives, but so far it is doing well. As all Goblin owners know, I got a ton a comments and many pictures were taken.

I also should have the side panels back from powder coat soon and am looking forward to installing those. I am traveling this week and next, but I should be able to get a video over weekend for everyone! In the meantime, here are some pictures I took Sunday!
Looks good! Has to feel good to have some progress and have it running well.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru

I have been out of town for the last few weeks, so I was not able to mess with the Goblin until this past weekend. I was having idle and light throttle issues with the ID1050X injectors, so I ended up buying a set of 650cc split spray EV14 injectors from Fuel Injector Connection. The improvement in drivability is extremely noticeable. I cannot say whether the improvement is from the increased control of the smaller injector or the split spray, but I would highly recommend this route over the more common options that ZZP/OTTP offer. Another benefit is that they flow 62.3 lb/hr at 43.5psi, which is just inside the limitations of the SS/SC ECU and eliminates another variable since there seems to be some contention about the effectiveness of the Flow Rate v Volt Multiplier or the complexities of scaling the entire tune.

OMG, you put your Goblin in a parade half naked!!! For shame. What will people think now? :p;):)

Lechlis

Looks good! Has to feel good to have some progress and have it running well.
Absolutely! It is nice to know that I can just hop in and go at this point. I will always be tinkering with something, but it is optional now. lol.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
You have links / resources you could share easily enough to wire in a wideband into hptuners? Any differences or hurdles there? I'm tackling that this week.

Gorgeous pics man! Love the shot on the line. Now that @KSLunsfo & @Rauq are on the road we'll have to do a meetup here soon

Lechlis

You have links / resources you could share easily enough to wire in a wideband into hptuners? Any differences or hurdles there? I'm tackling that this week.

Gorgeous pics man! Love the shot on the line. Now that @KSLunsfo & @Rauq are on the road we'll have to do a meetup here soon
I have an AEM 30-0310 to act as the wideband controller but they are all basically the same in function and setup. I ended up purchasing the HP Tuner Pro Feature Set primarily to make the AFR datalogging easier. I am sure you have read about some workarounds, but I decided to eliminate my human error variable. Plus they have released the standalone datalogging which is pretty sweet. I cannot point you to one specific source because I frankly watched and read a ton of stuff on the topic. There is good info for pretty much whatever route you decide on. Big picture, just make sure you calibrate the sensor and have everything grounded per the instructions.

In the link attached below, you can find the VCM Scanner Channel and Layout files that I setup. You will need to verify the transform function for the wideband controller that you are using. I also used the generic sensor channels, so this should be plug and play for most of us, but just make sure everything is recording correctly.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I have an AEM 30-0310 to act as the wideband controller but they are all basically the same in function and setup. I ended up purchasing the HP Tuner Pro Feature Set primarily to make the AFR datalogging easier. I am sure you have read about some workarounds, but I decided to eliminate my human error variable. Plus they have released the standalone datalogging which is pretty sweet. I cannot point you to one specific source because I frankly watched and read a ton of stuff on the topic. There is good info for pretty much whatever route you decide on. Big picture, just make sure you calibrate the sensor and have everything grounded per the instructions.

In the link attached below, you can find the VCM Scanner Channel and Layout files that I setup. You will need to verify the transform function for the wideband controller that you are using. I also used the generic sensor channels, so this should be plug and play for most of us, but just make sure everything is recording correctly.

Great thanks for this - I have the pro version also. Might do a little writeup to remove any guesswork for others.

@OptimizePrime, I also just realized I copied your profile picture... lol
LOL There was traffic behind me so I couldn't line it up perfectly - yours wins! Jealous you have access to a runway like that, would take a lot of risk out of the diy tuning on public roads with easy 0-60, 60-130, 1/4 mile times using a dragy

Rauq

Goblin Guru

If you have an LNF you should already have a wideband stock, or is my understanding off?

For us LSJ guys who have to add one, I have my 0-5v analog output from my wideband gauge/controller connected to the AC pressure sensor input on the harness. Just configure that input as the AFR in HP Tuners. Not sure if that's considered the easy way or the hard way given that I actually have the pro interface and and just don't want to bother wiring to it.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
If you have an LNF you should already have a wideband stock, or is my understanding off?

For us LSJ guys who have to add one, I have my 0-5v analog output from my wideband gauge/controller connected to the AC pressure sensor input on the harness. Just configure that input as the AFR in HP Tuners. Not sure if that's considered the easy way or the hard way given that I actually have the pro interface and and just don't want to bother wiring to it.
Yep LNF's have a wideband in the 02 but I think it overheats which leads to intermittent flatlines in hptuners which kinda defeats the purpose. I'm going to swap it out with a new wb and the second wb displays on a gauge, is located further down the channel so it's not as likely to overheat, and will be used as confirmation in hptuners.

Lechlis

NICE!!! :D 3 inch A2A should keep your IATs down no matter how hard you drive. Are you putting fan(s) on for some forced air cooling? Just asking, because with the windshield installed you will find the air goes over the top and around the sides of the car and comes forward over the top of the engine - which you may already know. The fans should be blowing forward through the intercooler to take advantage of the cool air coming around the car rather than trying to push air back though the intercooler pulling the hot air from the engine area.
This is now at the top of my to-do list. lol. My intercooler core is 18"x11.75", so I ordered two 8" fans. The plan is to mount them on the inside of the intercooler for aesthetics but also so I can run them in a puller configuration. I am thinking I will repurpose the intercooler pump wiring to run the fans which will allow them to be controlled through the tune.

KSLunsfo

A Goblin disguised as a Corolla? Talk about stealth!

Assuming I'm correctly interpreting what's going on here....

Lechlis

I have not articulated this well on the forum, but in 2019 I sold my small certified aircraft to begin building an experimental aircraft. As I got deep into the preliminary planning of that project, I decided that the Goblin would be an appropriate intermediate step before continuing to build the plane.

When I started the Goblin project, I tried to keep an exit strategy in mind for when the time was right. As I have grown into this community and watched DFKC continue to grow, I have felt more and more contention on how and if to sell the Goblin to facilitate the aircraft project. The Goblin has been wonderful and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, along with all fellow builders to date, but I feel it is time to return to the project that I originally set out to complete.

As if I had not alluded to it enough, I am formally listing my Goblin for sale. It is not a decision I have taken lightly, nor one that I have been forced to make. I wanted to make this post here just prior to posting the ad in the classified section to address the general population and hopefully give a little context to my decision.

I do not expect this to sell overnight, so I will continue to be involved and active here for the foreseeable future. I appreciate your support of my decision. :)

Lechlis

Good luck with the project! What kit are you building? I would love to build a kitfox someday.
Good question. Lol.

I had been set on a Van's RV-8 because I wanted something quick, aerobatic, and would be a decent IFR platform, but am a little uncertain about the manhours and financial requirements since I ultimately want to fly the thing in the relatively near future (<4 years). I do a fair bit of grass and short field flying for fun, so I actually built one of the introductory rudder kits for a Zenith 701. The Zenith's construction time appears to be about half or less of the RV-8 and generally simpler in nature. So I may go that route, but it is ultimately not 100% set in stone since I have not sunk much into either route other than plans, basic tooling, and lots of clecos.

The Kitfox's are awesome for sure, I am just not much on fabric aircraft. That is 100% only because I have no experience with it, so my opinion does not matter. Lol.