Lechlis's Track Goblin - 06 SS Donor - Chassis #173 - Registered

Lechlis

The donor is out of the garage. Harnesses are headed to DF. BCM headed to Odo-Pro to be reset to zero. Cleaning parts and getting some miscellaneous things complete before the chassis get finished. Anticipating future plans, I am installing a turbo oil drain while it is easily accessible.

Google Drive link coming soon

Attachments

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I call VA home but work quite a bit in Erie, PA. Being a pilot, it makes the commute quite easy. This morning I stopped in Akron, OH to pick up a like new Quaife LSD for 1/3 the price of new!
It was a bit chilly in Erie this morning. That Cessna would make the commute a bit easier.

Lechlis

Correct. and no... I had some fun before I started stripping it and it was only one wheel. I also double checked the build label during disassembly and no G85.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Are you going to install the LSD or have someone do it for you? Just curious, since I have a Quaife that I will be installing into my F40 transmission in the not too distant future.

Lechlis

Originally I had planned to do the install myself. I put a Peloquin in my MK4 R32 and it was super simple. Split the case, pull the shafts and diff out, swap the ring gear, reassembly, set preload, button up. The F35 looks wayyyyy more involved. I watched a YouTube video yesterday and about fell over when I saw everything has to be pressed off, new crush sleeve, etc. The diff is literally the very last thing to come out..... There is a local transmission shop that I used to install a PAR Engineering gearset on the R32 so I figure I'll give them a call.

Some fun reading for those who are bored (Naturally Photobucket ruined everything) --> https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7147746-Lechlis-s-R32T-Build

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
While you have the F35 apart, will you have them replace any wear parts? The reason I am asking is I also looked at having a F35 rebuilt - and experienced a heart attack at the price, which was shocking even without adding the LSD into the cost.

I looked at the F40, saw the videos on it and how simple the disassembly, LSD installation, and reassembly were. This is the reason I purchased a new F40 transmission and bought the Quaife to install. It's as easy as the VW transmission - done that before on a VR6 GTI.

Lechlis

All good points... I figured I would have them inspect the item they touch. On the other hand, I may just look at the cost of the puller and and a basic seals/single use parts kit if one is available.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Keep track of your total cost - to include the special tools - just curious how this will compare to my cost for the F40/Quaife path I am following. :)

Lechlis

Having only spent about an hour today looking for write-ups, tooling, etc, I am thinking it might be worth just dropping it off and letting someone else deal with it. There is very little literature on these things. The F40 has a much larger following.

Lechlis

If someone has a chassis close by, could you measure the distance between the two taillight mounting holes. If you also have the DF taillights, could you measure the diameter of one. I am trying to whip up some light mounts.

Last edited:

Lechlis

The transmission is going to the transmission shop this weekend. They estimated 8 hours of labor and the guy laughed when I told him what transmission it is. He said that I’m lucky he has to do things he dislikes on occasion. Lol.

I also drove to Butler, PA this evening to pick up a used ZZP flywheel and set of ARP headstuds. I ordered a new friction plate for the flywheel as well. It is quite nice having a donor vehicle with such a large following. Parts are abundant. I stopped by work for a bit to clean up the flywheel and studs. The flywheel needs a good wire wheel treatment but overall it’s solid. I figured you all would like a picture

Attachments

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I'm interested to see what your thoughts are on the ZZP flywheel when she's all buttoned up. I'm battling the lightweight flywheel option too but what has me hesitating is on a previous car I went to an 8lb flywheel from a 30lb stock flywheel and lost a LOT of torque. I get where some torque loss would make sense with the Goblin since it's so light, just wish there was an intermediary option.