Lets talk paint

Metal Mech

Ok so I stopped by the local Autozone on my lunch break today. Just wanted to see what they had in stock as far as high temp paint.
They have the VHT brand which I have never used. There was engine enamel that goes up to 500-600 degrees and they had the flame proof stuff that goes up to 1200 degrees

So I guess what I want to know is what does everyone use? I have seen a few using Duplicolor and I have used other paints from them before. Also I saw that they had primer for both temp ranges. Do I need to prime first with this kind of paint just like other paints?

My plans for painting are to freshen up the parts taken off the donor. Not just to make them look newer/cleaner but the engine and other parts had all kinds of oil and fluid leaks. Its at the point I have no clue if or where the engine was leaking. I plan to change all the gaskets and such to fix know/potential leaks. With the engine painted and looking new if I have any new leaks or leaks I didn't fix/notice it will be easier to track them down.

I also want to paint the muffler so it looks nicer, but I have seen people have not so good results. So curious about other peoples exhaust painting experience.

So yeah I am looking for every ones thoughts on brands and usage for painting donor car parts.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I use the flat black VHT high temp stuff on my muffler. I painted the original one nearly 5 years ago and it still looks fine. I also painted the engine with the same stuff so it was all black.

Mahkoi

I've got the silver vht on my exhaust manifold and it's holding up well so far. I've got a couple hundred miles on it with no discoloration. I did follow the instructions on the can and baked it in the oven accordingly. It stinks when you bake tho. Don't use your kitchen oven. I used my extra one in the basement and still got yelled at.

Metal Mech

I use the flat black VHT high temp stuff on my muffler. I painted the original one nearly 5 years ago and it still looks fine. I also painted the engine with the same stuff so it was all black.
Did you use the VHT primer before hand?

Metal Mech

I've got the silver vht on my exhaust manifold and it's holding up well so far. I've got a couple hundred miles on it with no discoloration. I did follow the instructions on the can and baked it in the oven accordingly. It stinks when you bake tho. Don't use your kitchen oven. I used my extra one in the basement and still got yelled at.
I will have to find someone to help me with that then haha. I only got the oven in the house so that is a no go.

Mahkoi

They have instructions on the can for doing it on the vehicle as well through warm up and cool down cycles. Mine wasn't running at the time so I chose the oven approach.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Did you use the VHT primer before hand?
Nope. I just sprayed it on, let it dry then installed it on the car.

I had to do the throttle body re-learn as I cleaned all the crud out of it so the car got started and shut of multiple times over a few hours one afternoon.

As others have mentioned, the paint does have a pretty bad smell so make sure you have proper ventilation.