LNF timing gear noise

Amack1970

Wanted to throw this out there and see if I get any response. I bought a new LNF motor from ZZPERFORMANCE before I built my goblin. I've got about 6k on the new motor. Under heavy acceleration, sometimes I hear chain sounding noises from the pass. side of the motor. That's were all the accessories are, but I think it's the timing chain. I have nothing else to go off of so I called the ZZPERFORMANCE guys today at lunch. They told me the timing chain guides are the weak link in these motors. They have a more solid guide, guide bolt and tensioner parts available that prevent chain slop. Has anyone had this happen to their ecotec? The ZZPERFORMANCE guy said some people change this stuff seasonally. Seems strange, but there the only ones that constantly work on these motors. If this is the issue, can these items be swapped with the motor in the frame? I've thought about pulling the right rear suspension, and going at it. I'd love to know if anyone else has come across this before I tear into my car , and possibly chase something that's not really the issue

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, they can be replaced with the motor in the frame. I have opened the timing chain cover with the LSJ in the Goblin. I replaced the cam chain tensioner & guide bolt, and accidentally let the chain loose position on the crank, so I took it apart to reset the crank/cam timing mark positions. Didn't know ZZP had better timing chain guides, but now that you have informed me, I will be ordering some of those too.