Lokian's Extended Street Gob in Indiana - 10 LS # 251

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I removed the three nuts from the strut mounts in the engine bay and disconnected the brake lines. I was fortunate the steering shaft was easy to split. Then I put a tire dolly under cradle and lowered the car down on top of it, then removed the four subframe bolts and both side motor/trans mounts and then lifted the body off of the powertrain. The heater core lines got sliced close to the firewall as the body started pulling away. The last thing I forgot was the clutch line but that was not hard to disconnect with a little extra clearance, well before there was any tension.

Lokian

Made some more progress.

Car is basically a shell now. Started stripping the dash. Next decision I need to make is lug pattern and wheel/tires. Getting all new hardware from DF and im buying new hubs. Don't want to deal with drilling in case I ever need to source parts locally. What do you guys think... 4x100 or 5 x 100?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Getting closer to sending that Cobalt carcass to the great crusher in the sky. 4x100 has a good wheel selection, 5x100 is somewhat limited in selection. But the 5x100 can be drilled out to 5x114.3 which has an almost unlimited selection of wheels.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Getting closer to sending that Cobalt carcass to the great crusher in the sky. 4x100 has a good wheel selection, 5x100 is somewhat limited in selection. But the 5x100 can be drilled out to 5x114.3 which has an almost unlimited selection of wheels.
Tim, the Cobalts are 5 x 110mm or 4 x 100mm.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Yes they are, was trying to give an idea of what can be expected when looking for wheels to fit the 'stock' sizes and what the 5x114.3 option can offer

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Lokian, you'll need the aluminum tubes, the green- and red-sleeved ones, if you intend to install a parking brake.

Lokian

Lokian, you'll need the aluminum tubes, the green- and red-sleeved ones, if you intend to install a parking brake.
trying to see if i can find a replacement for one or both. The passanger side looks like it got hit with something and flattened.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
trying to see if i can find a replacement for one or both. The passanger side looks like it got hit with something and flattened.
as long as the cables still slide inside of the tubes, their shape does not really matter. You will not see much of them since they are under the engine.

Lokian

Updating the needs list.

Running list of items to do and figure out.

• Clutch
    • clutch
    • throw out
    • pilot
    • resurface or replace flywheel
    • fix shifter... need new plastic bushings
    • master cylinder
  • Engine maintenance prior to install
    • rear main seal
    • timing set
    • water pump
    • spark plugs
    • O2 sensor
    • serp belt
    • Fuel Filter
    • Fuel cap
    • exhaust man studs
  • Drive train
    • Hubs
    • Bushings
    • Tie rods
    • axles
    • output shaft seals
  • Seats (NRG PVC)- would like ones that I can slide back and forth
  • Lights
    • Rear
    • front
  • parking brake
    • parking brake tubes
    • ss parking brake cables
  • Rims and tires
    • tires - r888 or N05

Ross

Goblin Guru
And the pull handle for the parking brake. And the handle pulls with one short cable, then has a bar that pulls 2 cables.

More pics here.
Oh, I am using the stock cables, mine weren't very worn after 200K miles.

Last edited:

Lokian

I think I have made a decision on wheels and tires. I was going to strip and redo my current ones (motegi MR7's) but saw that one is bent. The other has severe curb rash which I could probably sand out and then recoat. However the bent rim is going to cost and no one local is selling those old rims. So I have decided on Konig Backbone wheels with Nitto NT555 G2 (225/45 r17 in front and 255/45 r17 in the rear). Hope they work out and like the fatter spoke look.

Also ordered the OTTP shifter and ZZP header this black friday thanks to a certain few :cool:

Goblin Graber

I think I have made a decision on wheels and tires. I was going to strip and redo my current ones (motegi MR7's) but saw that one is bent. The other has severe curb rash which I could probably sand out and then recoat. However the bent rim is going to cost and no one local is selling those old rims. So I have decided on Konig Backbone wheels with Nitto NT555 G2 (225/45 r17 in front and 255/45 r17 in the rear). Hope they work out and like the fatter spoke look.

Also ordered the OTTP shifter and ZZP header this black friday thanks to a certain few :cool:
That’s going to be a nice wheel and tire setup! I went with that exact same front tire and they really good. I went with the 275/35r18 for the back and they look huge. 255 is probably perfect for the back.

Lokian

Pulled the clutch apart... I think it could have lasted another 100k (sarcasm). Now to find someone to surface the flywheel

Ross

Goblin Guru
Oreilly auto parts resurfaced my flywheel. $40 per surface, and my LSJ flywheel had 2 different surface heights, hence, $80ish.