Looking for a new clutch

Stretch2126

What’s everyone think on the aluminum flywheels? I’m in need for a new clutch because I believe my pressure plate is failing. I have the symptoms of a weak pedal at hard acceleration in 3rd or 4th, and I’ve already changed the master cylinder and TOB. The clutch is stock and I’m on a healthy tune with the intent to race this year so I figured it’s time to upgrade.
Anyways, I’m thinking of the FX400 clutch (ZZP Recommendation) and either a zzp aluminum flywheel or fidanza. I’ve heard of vibration and wasn’t sure if that was an overall issue or brand specific.

Scott #321

I'm running the zzp aluminum with neutral balance shafts. Vibration is less than I would have expected for what the car is having solid motor mounts. Personally I like it as the car has a purpose that is not all the creature comforts. Lighter rotating mass and stiffer clutch will take some getting used to starting from a stop but I personally think it is worth it.

Stretch2126

I'm running the zzp aluminum with neutral balance shafts. Vibration is less than I would have expected for what the car is having solid motor mounts. Personally I like it as the car has a purpose that is not all the creature comforts. Lighter rotating mass and stiffer clutch will take some getting used to starting from a stop but I personally think it is worth it.
I figured the lighter flywheel would kind of equal out with the lighter car. Besides 1st is so short you barely have to ride the clutch with 15 inch wheels. Thanks for the feedback.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
What’s everyone think on the aluminum flywheels? I’m in need for a new clutch because I believe my pressure plate is failing. I have the symptoms of a weak pedal at hard acceleration in 3rd or 4th, and I’ve already changed the master cylinder and TOB. The clutch is stock and I’m on a healthy tune with the intent to race this year so I figured it’s time to upgrade.
Anyways, I’m thinking of the FX400 clutch (ZZP Recommendation) and either a zzp aluminum flywheel or fidanza. I’ve heard of vibration and wasn’t sure if that was an overall issue or brand specific.
I recommend the aluminum flywheel.

Tinkles

In the Cavalier/Sunfire community there was an issue of the centers of the aluminum flywheels breaking(I believe Fidanza). I personally do not trust them and would opt for a lightened steel flywheel instead.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
In the Cavalier/Sunfire community there was an issue of the centers of the aluminum flywheels breaking(I believe Fidanza). I personally do not trust them and would opt for a lightened steel flywheel instead.
I had a Fidanza in my old Integra GSR that I autocrossed. It held up quite well. The miles put on that unit were very, very hard miles. It may have just been that Cavi/Sunfire layout? But, like anything else, do a little research into the option before you buy one. See if they have known issues like @Tinkles mentioned.

Stretch2126

I ended up with the Fx400 and zzp aluminum flywheel. I put them on last night but the transmission didn’t want to mate up to the block and ended up hurting threads in one of the holes so more fun for this weekend. Clutch went on easy though.

Stretch2126

Did you use a clutch alignment tool when putting on the clutch/pressure plate?
Yeah it all lines up. The splines went in but the burr on the aluminum wouldn’t let it fully mate up. The threads could’ve had trash in them. The bolt is straight, just won’t go in very far without hitting a “wall.” I’m gonna put four flats on an extra bolt and either use it to hold or at least clean it. My tap kit only has a T handle attachment and it would be impossible to use on that spot.

Stretch2126

You never want to force the mate with the bolts. Good way to screw up the clutch.
I was just trying to get them in to hold the trans up. It looked straight and the splines were in, that shim is what got me. Anyone know why it’s there?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I was just trying to get them in to hold the trans up. It looked straight and the splines were in, that shim is what got me. Anyone know why it’s there?
Not sure what it does but it's a pain in the ass to keep in place and bolt things up.

Tinkles

I had a Fidanza in my old Integra GSR that I autocrossed. It held up quite well. The miles put on that unit were very, very hard miles. It may have just been that Cavi/Sunfire layout? But, like anything else, do a little research into the option before you buy one. See if they have known issues like @Tinkles mentioned.
Very possible. Cavaliers/Sunfires were never a major platform for modding and didn't get alot of aftermarket support.