Looking for assistance troubleshooting a no spark issue

Hello all,

I'm on the last leg of getting my goblin started up, but I'm running into an interesting issue. I simply cannot get any spark on any of the plugs to fire. The coils seem to be ok as I can read a consistent 6v between the inside coil spring and the engine body. (not sure if this is normal. this voltage drops a few digits when cranking). Crank position sensor is plugged in, and worked before taking the cobalt apart. The OBD2 sensor is giving me 6 degrees of timing on Cylinder 1. Are there any other things that I can check?

Donor: 05 SS/SC

Ross

Goblin Guru
Here are some basics, as I'm not sure what you have already tested.
Any OBD2 codes?
Security light turned on the dash?
There are a few "No Start" debugging threads here.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Are you getting power to the ignition wire for the coils (pink wire I think)? I don't think 6v at the point that the spark plug is inserted means anything.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
On the 07 SS/SC, you get the coil harness plug and the headlight harness swapped around. I know, we did it and you don't get any spark. Make sure to check those two connections. They are the same plug. Nothing like trying to ignite your headlights!

Last edited:
I’m missing lots of little things. Does the line that goes to the brake booster just slide into the booster without a connector?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Oh my goodness. I in deed had them switched. Now to figure out why it won’t stay on for more than a second.
You can also swap the MAF and Injector plugs. Ask me how I know.....

Once you get it running I recommend color coding the two plugs mentioned before and the MAF plug. You will be pulling the engine again at some point so better to plan ahead for that.