Loose Wheel Bearings?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Now I noticed our front wheel bearings have a very small amount of play in them. It's easiest to see if the wheel is off the ground and you grab the top and bottom of the wheel and rock it in and out. There is a very noticeable clunk and about a 1/16th of an inch movement at the outer circumference of the tire. I'm quite certain these are new to the build and most likely MOOG. Both front wheels do it. I just can't image both being bad yet so new. I don't want to order new just to have the same thing. Am I just chasing ghosts?

Can anyone confirm if theirs is the same way? My rear wheels are extremely tight in all directions, no movement whatsoever. I'd like the front to be also.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We had one of our California customers have both new front wheel bearings go bad. I do not know what brand he was using.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Mine are tight. Jacked up the front, no wiggle room that I could notice, but there has to be a few thou to prevent overheating.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
We had one of our California customers have both new front wheel bearings go bad. I do not know what brand he was using.
I can't remember now, did they come with the kit? I know I'm not using the original donor because it was a 5 bolt and this is a 4 bolt. I'm trying to search all my orders. I order all stock items from RockAuto.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I can't remember now, did they come with the kit? I know I'm not using the original donor because it was a 5 bolt and this is a 4 bolt. I'm trying to search all my orders. I order all stock items from RockAuto.
Never mind.

I found it. I have MOOG in the rear (donor front) and this piece of junk in the front. I cannot believe I didn't order a MOOG!!! It's out of warranty by the way. only two years on them.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Just ordered two new replacements of these. $35 for the first ones and $88 for the MOOG. You get what you pay for I guess.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I keep hearing that about Moog, but I haven’t seen it. I work on trucks for a living and use Moog for my front end parts (haven’t used their wheel bearings) and have had only a minimal amount of parts fail in what I would consider a quality issue. I can think of just a couple of ball joints or idler/pitman arms off hand that went south too early and this is over the 20 years I have been using them. There was a huge (still is) counterfeit thing going on a while back and wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Now on wheel bearings, I only use AC Delco and Timkin and it’s my understanding that timkin makes the hubs for ACD, but I haven’t looked it up to verify. By look, feel and real world durability, I don’t have any reason to doubt it, though.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You all have me talked into the Timkin, they are available on RockAuto, but my order was already placed. The MOOG has a 3 year warranty. The previous wheel bearings didn't.