LS 2.2 NA Tuning

Anks329

I'll be using this thread to track my tuning attempts on my Goblin.

Specs:
  • 2007 LS, with ~130k miles originally - now has 573 miles since I built it
  • Stock 2.2 NA engine
  • DF intake
  • DF exhaust with wideband o2 and stock o2 sensor
    • Wideband is in the DF exhaust bung. I have at AEM 30-0300 X wideband.
    • I drilled and used a no-weld bug for the stock narrow band o2
  • HP Tuners MPVI2, non pro
  • Wideband is connected to laptop via a serial to USB interface
  • Wideband is connected to laptop via the AC pressure sensor wire and then the 0-5v information is transformed within HP Tuners to provide me with a Lambda reading based on the instruction manual.
I started the process today, unfortunately ran into three problems. First, my serial to USB adapter needs drivers so I wasn't able to pull my AFR EQ ratio into the VCM scanner. Second, when I followed the instruction from Goat Rope Garage to get ready to tune, the ECU decided I did something wrong, and went into reduced power mode and disabled the engine. Third, I didn't have time to debug because the kiddos wanted their rides in the Goblin, and by the time I got finished, it was too cold and dark out to keep trying. Unfortunately it's rainy during the week, so will need to wait for next weekend to get a log drive in.

But, here is a folder of my tune files is here. So far, it just has my as found file in it.

Last edited:

Dsteinhorst

Following. I haven't started dumping in changes, but took a solid look at the tables. I started editing one pulling a bit of fuel and adding a couple degrees of timing. Need to wait for spring here.

Anks329

Finally, after 8 months of life, COVID, moving, etc, in the way, I started working on tuning the Goblin. My serial interface wasn’t transmitting data correctly and I wasn’t able to get wideband info in HP Tuners. I was able to see data coming across in other apps, so the issue wasn’t the wiring. Instead of troubleshooting HP Tuners I wired my wideband into the AC pressure sensor and that worked without issue.

Today’s progress included setting up the first step of MAF tuning to disable dfco, cot and such. Unfortunately my first run didn’t stay in open loop, I’ll unplug the narrowband O2 sensor so there is no close loop data being used.

Tomorrow’s plan - hoping to make 3 runs to dial in the MAF.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My serial interface is pretty flakey connecting to my Windows10 laptop. I often have to reboot my laptop to get it to connect to the serial interface. Not really the wideband's fault, but I am tempted to wire it to the AC pressure sensor, just to get rid of the Windows10 communication issues.
Then again, I was thinking the AC pressure sensor might be better utilized for the oil pressure sender that I added to my LSJ engine. I wonder if there is another unutilized 5v sensor on my ECM/Powertrain Control Module that could be repurposed.

Brett

My serial interface is pretty flakey connecting to my Windows10 laptop. I often have to reboot my laptop to get it to connect to the serial interface. Not really the wideband's fault, but I am tempted to wire it to the AC pressure sensor, just to get rid of the Windows10 communication issues.
Then again, I was thinking the AC pressure sensor might be better utilized for the oil pressure sender that I added to my LSJ engine. I wonder if there is another unutilized 5v sensor on my ECM/Powertrain Control Module that could be repurposed.
There are known issues with usb / serial interfaces and counterfeit chips in the cables that cause communication issues. In my job (systems engineer for a storage company), I only use tripp lite branded serial usb interfaces. It seams to cut down on the issues.

Basically, don't buy the cheapest one on Amazon and you might get a decent cable.

Anks329

Completely agree, I purchased a "cheap" serial USB interface and that's probably the issue. Honestly, I could have replaced that interface with a new one, but to my eyes, it looks like the ac sensor is reading the information a little faster than the serial interface was updating via another app. So, this might be a "better" route to get the data into the car's system.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Thanks Brett, I just ordered a Tripp lite branded serial usb interface. My old one was the recommended TRENDnet USB to Serial Converter, but obvoiusly I got a flakey one. You can't trust brand name anymore... China is copying so much these days. Just buy another one and try again.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I second the Tripp Lite recommendation. I stick to the same brand. I connect to Cisco network switches almost everyday and I'm never without my trusty Tripp Lite USB to serial adapter and rollover cable.

Last edited:

Anks329

Gotta love the weather here, over 50 days with no rain, and the day I am free, it's drizzling.

I managed to get one drive in today; looking at the results, I'm pretty far off on the low end, but it get much better along the range with lower correction required.

I'm doing a 20 minute loop, local roads, a little highway driving going up 60 mph, but I'm only hitting cells in 1,900 to 5,800Hz range (the low MAF table), but I had no hits in the 6,000 to 12,200 Hz range (the high MAF table). Any suggestions on the type of driving (more aggressive acceleration, higher speed, etc.?) to hit the rest of the range?

Anks329

Second, when I followed the instruction from Goat Rope Garage to get ready to tune, the ECU decided I did something wrong, and went into reduced power mode and disabled the engine.

Everyone else might know this already, but I figured out what happened when I was originally trying to tune. I had the engine running when I flashed the setup tune. Don't do that! Car needs to be off, with the key in the on position, for both reading and flashing the ECU. Otherwise the engine will turn off unexpectedly!

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
"Any suggestions on the type of driving (more aggressive acceleration, higher speed, etc.?) to hit the rest of the range? "

Drive it like you stole it?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I leave my transmission in 2nd gear, and drive it on a twisty road to the lake. Try not to bounce it off the rev limiter, as it will give you bad data, but get close so you get data all the way to the top of the RPM limit.

Anks329

I leave my transmission in 2nd gear, and drive it on a twisty road to the lake. Try not to bounce it off the rev limiter, as it will give you bad data, but get close so you get data all the way to the top of the RPM limit.
I’ve got an automatic, so I can’t leave it second gear. I do have the fun twisty roads all over the place :)

Ross

Goblin Guru
Does your automatic have a 2 in the shifter? PRND32L
Or a way to put it in manual shift mode?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, HP Tuners has a lot of tables for the shifting stuff.
Most of us are driving standards. You are the first person I know tuning the automatic.
There is 5 tabs related to the automatic in HP Tuners... for my 06 LSJ with a standard tranny, but the auto settings are still showing.

Chris_WNC

I'm starting out with an '09 automatic. This is what HP Tuner pulls up from my donor.

CHRIS

Last edited:

Anks329

Thanks for this, I’ll have to pull the TCM info next time. I was following along with Goat Rope Garage and I skipped the TCM based on his suggestion.

As far as the gear shift, I’ve got D, 1 and L. I’ll do a run tomorrow in L and see how that works out.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Have you tried disabling/ reseting LTFT + STFT in VCM scanner instead of the tune. It seems to work in the scanner on my 07 LSJ

Anks329

I’m back to playing with the Goblin. Got a good tuning run today. Hoping to get two runs in next weekend! After the tuning run, the afr sensor was definitely closer to 1 during a second short ride.