LSJ Engine Coolant

PHENDERSON

I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway. For the LSJ engine do both cooling systems, the radiator and the heat exchanger use the same fluid...meaning I fill the radiator and overflow tank and it will make its way to the supercharger heat exchanger loop?

PHENDERSON

Ok. I just remembered the little reservoir by the endplate, guessing that's where I fill the heat exchanger loop.

Second question is I believe the radiator loop is about 2 gallons. Anyone know the capacity of the heat exchanger loop?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Ok. I just remembered the little reservoir by the endplate, guessing that's where I fill the heat exchanger loop.

Second question is I believe the radiator loop is about 2 gallons. Anyone know the capacity of the heat exchanger loop?
I wanna say about a gallon, but I’m running 2 HE albeit with a shorter run of hose though. I used roughly a gallon on mine. Maybe a tad more.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Make sure to run Dex-cool (orange stuff) in the engine cooling system and I run distilled water and Water Wetter in the HE. It doesn't necessarily need coolant in the HE because is should never see the extreme temps. Now if you let you car sit outside during the winter, we'll that's a different story.

PHENDERSON

I'm planning on Dex-cool for the engine and was going to run it in the HX loop as well, is there any danger with that? I believe dex-cool has better thermal properties (holds and dissipates more heat per unit) so I'd like to run it over water if it's okay.

r3drckt, where are your 2 HX located?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
My 2 HX are located in pods on the side of my chassis so I could close off the front of the car (except the bottom of the radiator mount). Look through the last page or 2 of my build log and you'll see pictures.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Most coolants have a corrosion inhibitor, make sure whatever you use has some kind of corrosion inhibitor.

PHENDERSON

I filled both loops up and then noticed my HX is dripping at both connections where the plastic 90s screw in. Any ideas on how to fix this?

PHENDERSON

I'm now thinking that includes the brass ends of the kit supplied pipes? I have a slow drip now from one of those. Before I drain again and wrap it in teflon is this the way to go or is there a better option?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
If it's on a barbed fitting, I don't think anything is going to help but reseating and tightening the hose clamp.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Yes teflon tape/thread sealant for threaded fittings. I didn't think about the pex to barb fittings since I didn't use those.

Iwanttogofast

No, they are independent systems. I don't have specs on what fluids are recommended but if possible, I'd use two different color fluids to help identify which system if you develop a leak.
I like this idea a lot!! I'll be running DexCool in the engine, and green Prestone in the heat exchanger system for that very reason - To assist with diagnosing if any leaks develop. Thanks for this GREAT tip!