LSJ-T Feedback on Build

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Hey All,

I have decided to upgrade to a S252 Turbo for my LSJ and am looking for some feedback regarding my build. Green highlighted items have already been purchased. I decided on a boost regulator instead of an electronic controller for my initial build the electronic controller will come into play in the summer.

Let me know what you think thanks all!

Last edited:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I suggest going with the boost controller from the get-go. The LSJ ECM doesn't have the ramping features of the LNF.

My LSJ-T is running just the K04 and it turned out to be a handful to drive once I got my wastegate adjustment figured out. I now know why the donor owner had it adjusted the way he did because even in Cobalt form it had traction issues in any gear.

I just got my boost controller so I am not sure how much better it will be, but from what I've gathered from others' experience, it should be a game changer.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I suggest going with the boost controller from the get-go. The LSJ ECM doesn't have the ramping features of the LNF.

My LSJ-T is running just the K04 and it turned out to be a handful to drive once I got my wastegate adjustment figured out. I now know why the donor owner had it adjusted the way he did because even in Cobalt form it had traction issues in any gear.

I just got my boost controller so I am not sure how much better it will be, but from what I've gathered from others' experience, it should be a game changer.
What is your take on the 44mm wastegate sizing? I was on the fence between 38mm and 44mm.

This is the controller package I was looking at.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
My only turbo experience is with this platform and I have a K04 that has an internal wastegate, so I can't provide any insight into wastegate sizing.

The Cortex was one of the controllers I was considering. I liked it, the GFB and the AMS-1000. The AMS-1000's RPM ramping seemed to be what I wanted but it is overkill for my application and also a bit pricey. The Cortex stuff was all out of stock heading into the holidays so I went with the GFB controller.

Goblinfanclub1234

does that saab manifold work with the LSJ water to air intercooler? interesting I have never seen that saab part before.

Last edited:

Goblinfanclub1234

I dont think you included the link to the correct saab manifold in your spreadsheet. I confuse. the one in the ZZP instructions is the one I was thinking about.

Tinkles

I dont think you included the link to the correct saab manifold in your spreadsheet. I confuse. the one in the ZZP instructions is the one I was thinking about.
Looks like the ebay changed the destination to that link to show something that is "similar".

I'd go with the 44mm wastegate. The wastegate placement on that manifold is terrible, so going with the largest wastegate option can bandaid that to help prevent boost creep.

The alternator swap can be done for cheaper with used parts or spend alittle more and get all brand new parts. All you need is a L61 alternator, belt, and tensioner. It is a direct swap.

For air filters I recommend AEM Dry-flow. I switched to them from K&N and like them better.

I have always been disappointed with OTTP and their products, but that's a rant for another day. On the other hand I have been using Silicone Intakes.com for years without any issues.

Have you thought about going for all the bling with a Dyemond Fab intake manifold whenever they are back in stock?

Wes

I still have my alternator, the belt and all the pulleys and tensioner from before if you are interested. I'm sure we could make a trade :)

edit: Just realized I also still have my LE5 throttle body and intake if you are interested in that stuff too

Last edited:

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Hey all I am wiring up the cortex digital boost controller and have a few questions.

1. I have identified that the boost by speed wire Cortex (PIN 10/Green) to VSS High Signal is correct. Would it be best to go directly to the connector or is there a closer route to the front for Circuit 400? What I am seeing is this circuit goes directly to the PCM so connector may be best option.

2. Boost by Gear (RPM) what connector or circuit would be best for this reading on the cobalt harness?

Thanks for the help.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Not sure that gear or rpm is going to be that simple to get. RPM is transferred over data signal and gear is calculated.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I can't remember and don't have access to my car right now. Looking at the WOTBox documentation I believe it would be B (signal). That should be 5V digital on our cars if I'm not mistaken.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I can't remember and don't have access to my car right now. Looking at the WOTBox documentation I believe it would be B (signal). That should be 5V digital on our cars if I'm not mistaken.
Here is the wiring diagram if that helps.

6405.jpg

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I am planning on re-utilizing the DF Goblin Intercooler Heat Exchanger for an Oil Cooler with the ZZP Oil Cooler Plate. It is my understanding the oil pressure pushes the oil through the heat exchanger and I will be re-using the fan to blow air through the exchanger fins. Any concerns with this setup and reusing the DF coolant heat exchanger for oil?