LSJ Tuning Woes

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Did some more study of your log. To my inexperienced eyes, the open loop fault is being driven by the misfire count with a big spike just before it enters on-f. Almost all of your misfires are on cylinders 1 and 4. I would swap ignition components between one of those misfire cylinders with the two non-misfire cylinders and see if they follow.

it looks like the tune has already desensitized the misfire counter, but I don’t know if that changes the count or just when it throws an error code. And the error code for random misfire was turned off.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Did some more study of your log. To my inexperienced eyes, the open loop fault is being driven by the misfire count with a big spike just before it enters on-f. Almost all of your misfires are on cylinders 1 and 4. I would swap ignition components between one of those misfire cylinders with the two non-misfire cylinders and see if they follow.

it looks like the tune has already desensitized the misfire counter, but I don’t know if that changes the count or just when it throws an error code. And the error code for random misfire was turned off.
Ill swap coils in the am and make the wife hold the laptop while i log lol. It was a little harry holding a laptop in the passenger seat while driving haha

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
At this point you don’t need to be trying wide open pulls. It’s having these problems at cruising throttle. Check the first log and look at your speed/rpm when the misfire count starts going up. You might want to add in total misfires to the channels or use a math function in a graph to add the individual up.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
From HP Tuners forum for those following along;

Ghostknife: What's weird is in the compare file stock tune, P2119 isn't highlighted as supposed to be active from the factory.

gtstorey : I'm not sure that I would pursue that as a problem at this point then. You might want to see if you can get the service manual for your model and see what it says about what the typical/range of values for throttle and accelerator. For anyone looking in on this, he is seeing APP sensor settings of way over 100%. This doesn't seem right to me, but other people on the Goblin forum have seen the same thing.

Changing the intake tube will disturb your MAF settings some and probably all of the Goblins would benefit from a maf adjustment. It probably wouldn't be a big change unless the tube diameter where the MAF is mounted is a different size. Assuming it was correct to start with.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
One of the better ecotec tuners on HPT has weighed in on your problem. You might want to engage with him while you have his attention. If you have new logs you might want to post them there.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
One of the better ecotec tuners on HPT has weighed in on your problem. You might want to engage with him while you have his attention. If you have new logs you might want to post them there.
Thanks i wasnt getting notified of the thread, am now.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Ran a Log this morning on my way into the gym, still getting a Accelerator Pedal Position percentage over 100%. New gas pedal will be here tomorrow, will replace and retry.

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I guess if you have bought it anyway, install the pedal, but I'm not sure that is where I would be spending my effort. I think I would focus on the misfires and getting the wideband logging.

But I'm just guessing.

baustin

I'm late to looking at the logs but I've got a couple questions. Some of these might just be that I missed previous details.
  • Why do you have a catalytic converter temp? I guess it's an inferred value and just logged since you grabbed a default log list from somewhere
  • Your post catalytic O2 sensor isn't constant at .445V, it doesn't change much for you but it's always .445V in my logs. Is this sensor connected at all?
  • You said accelerator position was over 100%, I don't see that in the logs at all, seems to be ~60% or lower
  • There are repeated times where AFR is commanded to be 10.10 and it's not when the accelerator position is high % at all, was there somewhere you posted your tune file to check over? I'm curious to look at the actual tune file if you've saved it.
  • I do see at least 1 time when the fuel system status variable shows 'fault' and it's right when it lowered the AFR command to 10.10, this and the previous thought are probably related.

baustin

Also about the wideband, I also have the AEM 30-0300 and have it wired to my MPVI2 with the pro adapter. The AC signal method would've been cheaper and results similar but the pro adapter was easy and I know the wiring was new/correct. I found the pro adapter to be fairly easy and it gets logged if I'm doing standalone logging (no PC required to log it) whereas if you use a serial-usb adapter method you have to use your laptop every time you log data.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I haven't reviewed the new log yet.

I'm not sure if the over 100% accelerator is a problem or not. I mentioned it when it was discussed in his build thread and some said they never saw over 100% and Sluggonaut said he saw 255%. I found a few LSJ logs on HPT forum and one of those showed over 100% with no one commenting on it. (1) Ghostknife's #383 Track SS/SC | Page 17 | DF Kit Car Forum
Ghostknife probably should do a check of the pedal with key on/ not running and see what the pedal does through the full range of motion.

It hits Open-Loop fault mode several times in the original log, each time preceded by a jump in cylinders 1 & 4 misfires.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
I'm late to looking at the logs but I've got a couple questions. Some of these might just be that I missed previous details.
  • Why do you have a catalytic converter temp? I guess it's an inferred value and just logged since you grabbed a default log list from somewhere
  • Your post catalytic O2 sensor isn't constant at .445V, it doesn't change much for you but it's always .445V in my logs. Is this sensor connected at all?
  • You said accelerator position was over 100%, I don't see that in the logs at all, seems to be ~60% or lower
    View attachment 35027
  • There are repeated times where AFR is commanded to be 10.10 and it's not when the accelerator position is high % at all, was there somewhere you posted your tune file to check over? I'm curious to look at the actual tune file if you've saved it.
  • I do see at least 1 time when the fuel system status variable shows 'fault' and it's right when it lowered the AFR command to 10.10, this and the previous thought are probably related.
    View attachment 35028
I did find on the HP Tuners website a list of channels that I imported into my scans
I do not have a second O2 sensor plugged in at this current time.

Here is the screen shot where the Accel Pedal Position is at more than 100%

Here is the current tune file

Attachments

baustin

Alright, I'll try to take a look this evening at the tune and the log files again. I'm not a pro at this at all and I've had ZZP do all of my tuning remotely but I'll try to look closely now.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Alright, I'll try to take a look this evening at the tune and the log files again. I'm not a pro at this at all and I've had ZZP do all of my tuning remotely but I'll try to look closely now.
Thank you so much! I did email ZZP since its their tune and asked them to take a look as well. They wanted me to buy a tune originally but I told them that I would like them to compare to what they offer now for a base tune. I would hate to buy the same tune I already have.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don't think you have a complete tune now. There are enough problems with it that I doubt that it as delivered from ZZP. At the very least, I doubt that the Dynamic Airflow needs to be "turned off". I think that is the same as VE or SD mode and needs to be enabled for WOT. I think someone started trying to tune the MAF and never finished. Maybe they tuned the VE tables first and they are good or maybe not.

This is based upon my readings on Gen 3 & 4 LS V8 on HPT and maybe the LSJ is completely different.

baustin

I took a look comparing your tune to mine, I know your engine setup is at least close to mine: 2.9" pulley, 60# Siemens injectors though difference in purchase year could mean different specs.

There's a surprising amount of differences in the tunes. I sent a copy of my tune to you, check for the PM. I think you should pull up yours in VCM Editor and open mine as a compare file and take a look.

Some differences are minimal, such as the target idle rpm chart and values for the MAF calibration. But there are others like the primary VE table that are a large % different. I agree with Gtstorey that the dynamic airflow effectively being turned off seems pointless and likely should be turned back on but could mean someone was in the middle of making adjustments.

Your injector control option values are entirely different than mine, maybe the 60# Siemens injectors aren't actually the same that we have but if they are then the tuner took a completely different approach than ZZP does now. I don't know enough to say whether your spark or fuel tabs have better or worse setups than mine, but they are very different which seems odd. I didn't do the tune on mine to know why my tune has the certain values or if yours is wrong.

When it comes to low boost:
  • Your 1st gear boost limit is 75% and it's being handled by the engine correctly
  • There's a 'torque mult' table for stead state boost and your tune is set to 0, mine is set to the max of 1. From a quick look this is just for cruising allowable boost, but if your throttle pedal % is funky then this could be preventing boost when you try to get on the throttle.
    link to HPTuners description
I wouldn't be concerned about the 'accelerator pedal position' being more than 100% at all. I'd actually be concerned that it's not going high enough, mine goes to 255% when WOT. The 'throttle position (SAE)'; is what is charted in white in the top section and pins at 88.2 when full throttle. My throttle value goes from ~18-88.2% but accelerator pedal position goes from 0-255%:

Make sure to adjust your speedometer to match your tire size here. The pulses per mile is just your 'VSS pulses per rev' multiplied by your 'VSS tire revs per dist'. I think the 2 'Dist' values should be the same unless you're trying to run a larger spare tire. Your values here are still the original Cobalt values.

About the misfires:
My LSJ also started life in the Goblin with a huge amount of misfires:

I fixed it by going from the stock LSJ and pulley to the stage 2 kit with injectors/pulley/tuning. What I didn't realize at the time was my fuel pump regulator had failed closed and was over pressuring the entire fuel system. I think the injector replacement was necessary but I think it was caused by living at max pump pressure for some time. I didn't actually have an external leak due to over pressure but I didn't check the injectors to see if they were able to fully close after 15 years of use. I really suggest using a fuel pressure tester on the fuel rail to confirm if you're getting a nice 58psi or at least 55-60psi, anything else could be part of your problem.

Part of the 60# injector tuning was to desensitize the misfire counter and disable the misfire CEL code, adjust the idle RPM to higher than stock, and all of the fuel table value changes. Inherent to many of the 60# injectors is a slight misfire at idle for the LSJ from what I understand from ZZP, even if tuned as best possible.