LSJ Wiring Questions

Iwanttogofast

I've been off of my Goblin project for a while due to some personal issues, plus getting very frustrated with some issues while working on the main harness initially. Some of it due to LSJ harness and connectors being different than what's in the videos, and some of it due to "sketchy" instructions in the videos. I started back in on the harnesses about a month ago - as time permits. The main harness went okay (I think) once I repaired the issues from the initial attempt, and began my progression again. UNTIL... I got to the dash harness. I've got some wires that are not addressed in the videos that are also not on any wiring diagrams that I've got. ?

* One of my LS LAN green wires from the Splice Pack went to an Ignition Switch connector (Black 5-pin connector). ? This is not in any wiring schematic that I've got. I am guessing that I just splice it back in to the pack when I get to that point(?). I'm aware of the LSJ DLC Pin #2 LS LAN going to the PCM, but I've not seen anything about the one going to the Ignition Switch connector.

* When cutting the wires from the Steering Wheel Control / Inflatable Restraint connector C2, the video states to save the Pink wire at position C (to BCM C4), and the Gray wire at position D (to BCM C2). After cutting others out, it states to "save the rest". I had a Tan wire from the Steering Wheel Control connector (Pin I) that goes to BCM C2 (not sure which terminal yet). This wire is not on any wiring schematic that I've seen showing the Steering Wheel Control connector circuits. I believe that it may be the horn switch circuit to control the horn relay, but not sure.

* The Steering Wheel Control connector also had a GRN/WHT wire at pin H that went to the IPC connector Pin #5. Again, this circuit is not in any wiring schematic anywhere. Possibly for hands-free calling(?) or something else on the Steering Wheel controls. No idea, and I no longer have the Steering Wheel. Most likely not needed, since the IGN+ (Pnk) and Cruise Control (Gray) are the only two that the video states to make sure that you save. Help?

I've completed Wiring Video #8, and watched ahead yesterday through videos #9, 10 and 11 - and they seem even more confusing and/or vague. I'm really trying to proceed as carefully as possible to avoid any issues like I had with the main harness. Any tips or tricks on merging the dash harness to the main harness would be greatly appreciated. Did you deal with anything that was left out of the videos that you can share to help prevent me having the same issue(s)? Thanks!!

Ross

Goblin Guru
You know you can look this up?

That black 5 pin connector is the PK3+ security connector. I can't find that connector in AllDataDIY. Maybe they don't explain the security stuff?
There is another windshield wiper black 5 pin connector...

Button Panel wiring diagrams.

The horn is on the clockspring black 10 pin connector. The steering column has many other connectors. Turn Signal Multifunction Switch C1 white 8 pin, and C2 gray 10 pin, SRS airbag yellow connector, windshield wiper black 5 pin connector, ignition switch green 6 pin connector, PK3+ black 5 pin connector.

BCM C2 & C4. (Click on them to enlarge)

Last edited:

Iwanttogofast

God, I am SOOOOO sick and tired of GM wiring schematics not matching up with what I have, and DF instructions not properly explaining things!! How does my connector look ANYTHING like the connector pictured on the LSJ connector view? Long story short... wasting my Saturday AGAIN fixing a wiring issue (disassembling BCM C2 to replace terminals) not properly explained in the DF instruction videos, or pictured properly in the GM connector info. This could/should be so much easier than it is...

EPS C2 Connector.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
So sorry to hear you are still having trouble with the wiring. Unfortunately, GM did a lot of changes to wire colors and connector types throughout the builds of their product lines. Sometimes a supplier would run out of a specific wire and engineering would substitute another, many times not getting these 'small' changes into the permanent documentation. It was no big deal for them, but really can be quite confusing for anyone trying to troubleshoot and electrical problem - or try to use this un-documented wire harness to build something better.

Hang in there and don't give up, ask as many questions as you need to get these issues cleared up, we will always try to do our best to help. I believe Ross has provided some of the diagrams? These can help most times, but in instances when nothing matches any of the documents, it comes down to chasing wires from one connector specific pin to the other end. One benefit of this, if one can look at the positive side, is you will have intimate knowledge of the wiring and be able to help future builders work through their challenges. :D

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
As frustrating as the wiring was even prior to the amazing second rendition videos the AllData helps a lot to understand the schematics which is very valuable in the future when troubleshooting or modifying for example I installed a boost controller and navigating alldata over the years helped a lot.

BTW @Ross I really appreciate the alldata info I use it a lot.

Iwanttogofast

The wiring instructional videos are pretty vague regarding the HS LAN wiring, and some of it is just plain different on my LSJ. Most of my issues that I have had revolve around the HS LAN data wires. I had to rebuild the PCM connector due to earlier video stating to "cut out all remaining twisted pairs of wires" when they had not addressed HS LAN for LSJ. The wires were cut too close to the connector to solder back together. I literally went to the local junkyard and cut out a PCM connector from an HHR, took that connector apart to remove Micro64 terminal pigtails, and rebuild my connector with those terminals. Had to do the same thing again this past weekend with my BCM C2 connector due to connector variation issue and lack of details in videos. I also had to remove a Metri-Pack 280 terminal from a leftover HVAC connector to repair wiring for my BCM C4 connector for the same reasons. I've actually thought a couple of times about just selling this damned project. Not even kidding.

Anyway, do any of you other LSJ guys have any tips about the HS LAN data wires? I have Ross' list GMLAN - HS LAN Routing.PNG which is extremely helpful - but, when should I actually join my PCM C1 1&2 extension to the BCM C2 2&20 that I cut from the EPS connector? How should I route that circuit? No instructions at all from DF on this. In fact, according to their instructions this BCM C2 circuit is already taped in the harness to the EPC connector - when it needs to be out in order to join to the PCM C1 wires. I've already re-soldered the brown HS LAN wires from BCM C2 1&19 to EPS 4&5, so that should be okay (though maybe a bit too short, now). But, I've also got to run an extension now from the cut wires @ EPS 1&2 to the DLC / OBDII port 6&14. How / where should I route these?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm really trying to wrap up this disastrous part of my build so that I can move on to mechanical assembly - which I actually know something about. This wiring harness has been one of the biggest PITA projects in recent history!! Nowhere near as simple as they try to make it sound in their videos. And sorry, but some pretty important info is severely lacking in the instructional videos. I understand that they can't include info on each build option, but maybe supplemental info could be included with shipment for SS/SC, SS/TC and NA(?) based on builder's donor...

Ross

Goblin Guru
So you know what wires need to be connected, but you are questioning how long to make the wires?
The wiring instructional videos are pretty vague regarding the HS LAN wiring, and some of it is just plain different on my LSJ. Most of my issues that I have had revolve around the HS LAN data wires. I had to rebuild the PCM connector due to earlier video stating to "cut out all remaining twisted pairs of wires" when they had not addressed HS LAN for LSJ. The wires were cut too close to the connector to solder back together.
I decided to cut wires an inch or two away from the connector, rather than cutting wires flush with the connector. That way I could solder back the wire, if I made a mistake, or I could repurpose the wire for something else in the future. Just have to be careful to insulate the cut wire, so it doesn't touch another short wire.
I literally went to the local junkyard and cut out a PCM connector from an HHR, took that connector apart to remove Micro64 terminal pigtails, and rebuild my connector with those terminals. Had to do the same thing again this past weekend with my BCM C2 connector due to connector variation issue and lack of details in videos. I also had to remove a Metri-Pack 280 terminal from a leftover HVAC connector to repair wiring for my BCM C4 connector for the same reasons. I've actually thought a couple of times about just selling this damned project. Not even kidding.

Anyway, do any of you other LSJ guys have any tips about the HS LAN data wires? I have Ross' list View attachment 39034 which is extremely helpful - but, when should I actually join my PCM C1 1&2 extension to the BCM C2 2&20 that I cut from the EPS connector?
When? Solder the wires while you have the wires accessable, then wrap the harness, then put it in your car.
Maybe I don't understand your question. It really doesn't matter when items get soldered... they all should be done before wrapping the harness, and powering up the car.
How should I route that circuit?
How? The PCM is mounted in the rear of the goblin, and the BCM is mounted on the front firewall, passenger side.
You have your goblin frame, so you could measure the distance between them, or you could locate other BCM & PCM plugs in the harness and use that as a reference as to where things are going to be once wrapping is done.
No instructions at all from DF on this.
The final mounting positions and distances between each could use a map. You might want to mock up your frame, put the instrument cluster in, the BCM, the PCM, the Fusebox base, etc. Then measure between them, when routing the wires down the tunnel, and around the engine.

You may want to lightly wrap your wiring harness by taping it every foot or so, then put it in your frame, so you can test that things are the right length.

There are 5 donor engines cars (LSJ, LNF, LE5, LAP, L61), and many options within each car, so it would take 100s or 1000s of videos to cover all the wiring harnesses. My videos of a 2006 LSJ electrical harness only cover 1 of these options.
In fact, according to their instructions this BCM C2 circuit is already taped in the harness to the EPC connector - when it needs to be out in order to join to the PCM C1 wires. I've already re-soldered the brown HS LAN wires from BCM C2 1&19 to EPS 4&5, so that should be okay (though maybe a bit too short, now). But, I've also got to run an extension now from the cut wires @ EPS 1&2 to the DLC / OBDII port 6&14. How / where should I route these?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm really trying to wrap up this disastrous part of my build so that I can move on to mechanical assembly - which I actually know something about. This wiring harness has been one of the biggest PITA projects in recent history!! Nowhere near as simple as they try to make it sound in their videos. And sorry, but some pretty important info is severely lacking in the instructional videos. I understand that they can't include info on each build option, but maybe supplemental info could be included with shipment for SS/SC, SS/TC and NA(?) based on builder's donor...
Congrats on tackling this.
It can be frustrating and risky, not knowing if everything is done correctly.
Try not to let the frustration win, and tackle the problems one at a time.
We will win this challenge. It has been won before, we can do it again.

Last edited:

Iwanttogofast

I was just wondering how to route - especially the PCM C1 1&2 extension to the BCM C2 2&20 wires. For instance - The BCM C2 twisted pair come out of the connector routed towards the rest of the dash harness, instead of towards the PCM. So, what would be the best way to route this circuit? Pull the BCM twisted pair from the end of the 1' section already taped, and turn it 180deg in the other direction towards the PCM to join with that twisted pair? Just not sure exactly where to run these wires - where they're coming from to where they're going. I'll try to figure it out without wasting too much more solder and tape. :)

I am usually only able to work on the Goblin on Saturdays due to the hours that I work. And I work a lot. That's what gets frustrating when I have to repair an issue and or waste so much time trying to figure out something that I feel should be addressed in the build info. I am limited on available time to work on this, and taking steps sideways or even backwards just gets to me because I feel that I should be making much more progress than I am. But, I'll try to keep a cool head and keep moving forward...

Ross

Goblin Guru
[/QUOTE]
I was just wondering how to route - especially the PCM C1 1&2 extension to the BCM C2 2&20 wires. For instance - The BCM C2 twisted pair come out of the connector routed towards the rest of the dash harness, instead of towards the PCM. So, what would be the best way to route this circuit? Pull the BCM twisted pair from the end of the 1' section already taped, and turn it 180deg in the other direction towards the PCM to join with that twisted pair?
I struggled too with the length of the harness. The new DF video series didn't exist when I did my harness, and those videos have better details.
Here is an image of the wiring harness with lengths. You have to blow up the picture a lot, and can see the measurements. This is what I used. Adam explains the color coded wiring lengths at the top of the image, and includes stars to show where to extend wires.
Jmar1622 made the base Cobalt electrical steps. Here is a 3.5 minute video of Lonny and Brenda making a harness.

In the goblin, the BCM needs about 1' of wire to get to the center tunnel, then it needs to turn towards the rear PCM, (Instead of a front PCM as in the Cobalt). I'm not sure why your harness is taped at this point, as you are still running the LAN wires. The LAN wires do need to get to the PCM, so if the twisted pair go to C1 1&2, then yes join to those wires. Tracing wires with a meter is slow work, here is a hack to make it quicker, and test all the wires in a plug at one time.

Last edited: