MAF problem? Weird situation

Lando217

Hey everyone! It’s been a very long time since I posted here. I finished my #125 about a year ago and life has just gotten busier. This year I decided to sell my goblin so I took it out of storage and started to go through it. I am sure there are many many more knowledgeable members that have joined over the past year and I could use some help.

08 LNF stock turbo donor
So pulled the car out of storage about a month ago and drove 10 miles home great. over the past weeks I checked connections and bolts. Went to go drive it today and was having some problems. About 2 min after taking of out of my neighborhood I would lose throttle response and not able to move. Engine still running and idling great. Shut it off and turn it back on to get throttle response for about 10 seconds and happens again. This seems to happen after I got on it and built up some good boost. So I pulled the plug out of the waste gate soilioid sensor and I would get pedal back but barley any boost and able to drive back home. I recreated this problem 3 different times with the same solution to get home.

I did some reading of some people having over boost problems and going into limp mode and able to clear the problem by turning off and on the car untill happened again. One solution some one tried was pulling the MAF sensor plug and temporarily fixed this problem. So I just did that about an hour ago and voila all my problems disappeared and I was able to get on the goblin and pull all sorts of boost if different gears for 20 min. I would have to drive it more to see if the problem comes back but before it only took 2-4 minutes to shows its face.

does this mean my MAF is bad? And what it create problems like this? Iam scratching my head on this one. Any info is appreciated!!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Our ECU calculates fuel & spark using 2 methods (MAF tune and VE tune), then blends the 2 calculations.
Could just be your MAF tune needs work. When you disconnect the MAF, you force the ECU to only use your VE tune.

Lando217

thanks for the responses. I haven’t tuned this car at all. Only thing close to a tune would be a reflash from zzp when I bought a new ECU from donor stages because I thought it contributed to a problem.
Would a disconnect MAF hurt the engine at the moment? I might just clean or replace Maf just in case. Car worked good end of last year, sat for 5 months and this happens. This was the first winter I didn’t have room in my garage and had to put the goblin in a non climate control storage. I did see condensation build up in the storage.. cause that hurt a MAf sensor?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think the LNF/Turbo relies more heavily on the MAF and the VE strategy in the ECM isn't as good as some vehicles so I'll be surprised if it runs "good" on VE. Probably won't hurt it for a short time, but probably would minimize until the problem is resolved. It might be under/over fueling by more than the fuel trims can handle.

Hard to say whether storage conditions could cause the problem until you figure out what the problem actually is. You might find that you have more problems than just MAF.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I would be more focused on possibly corroded connectors, dirty grounds(especially bad battery ground wire) and broken wires. The MAF sensor probe lives in the intake tract and are exposed to the "weather" of incoming air and the body of the MAF lives, exposed, in the engine compartment: so it's pretty tough! Yes they go bad too, but wiring continues to be my main suspect on so many points. Reality is that these units are at least 10 years old, and rust(oxidation) never sleeps. I always try to remember to first test grounds for excess resistance, that is my personal favorite.