Mahkoi's #299. Ext Track. SS Turbo.

Mahkoi

Got the intercooler and intake tubes in. This weekend hoping to get the intercooler coolant plumbing in and front suspension put together. Headlights should be showing up from Amazon tomorrow. Still need to make my mind up on seats and wheels/tires. But it's getting there.
20220310_212858.jpg
20220310_212915.jpg

Mahkoi

Got the clutch bled tonight and all four corners of the brakes gravity bled. Then I noticed I have a leak between my brake fluid reservoir and the DF piece that attaches to it. I'll pull that off tomorrow and see if I rolled an o-ring outta place or if something else is going on. Hopefully it's a quick fix.

Mahkoi

Two problems with my brake reservoir. I rolled one of the orings into the aluminum piece that DF supplies. That was an easy fix with a pull apart and reassemble. Still had a leak after that and found the clutch feed out of the reservoir leaks right where it connects to the reservoir. Not sure if that was from the wreck or my aggressive disassembly. Checked gm parts and to no surprise the reservoir is discontinued. Looks like the cheapest route right now was to use the Dorman m630869 master cyl for $99. Right now I'll just grab the reservoir off it and set aside the master cyl in case I need it later. So I think the brake fluid leak is solved for now as long as the Dorman parts fit ok.

While straightening up my parts table tonight I opened this unmarked pack with 2 rings that look like they are 3d printed plastic in them. I can't for the life of me figure out where these would go. So if anyone knows what these are let me know because i am stumped.
20220318_205611.jpg

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Two problems with my brake reservoir. I rolled one of the orings into the aluminum piece that DF supplies. That was an easy fix with a pull apart and reassemble. Still had a leak after that and found the clutch feed out of the reservoir leaks right where it connects to the reservoir. Not sure if that was from the wreck or my aggressive disassembly. Checked gm parts and to no surprise the reservoir is discontinued. Looks like the cheapest route right now was to use the Dorman m630869 master cyl for $99. Right now I'll just grab the reservoir off it and set aside the master cyl in case I need it later. So I think the brake fluid leak is solved for now as long as the Dorman parts fit ok.

While straightening up my parts table tonight I opened this unmarked pack with 2 rings that look like they are 3d printed plastic in them. I can't for the life of me figure out where these would go. So if anyone knows what these are let me know because i am stumped.View attachment 31482
Hub centering rings?

Mahkoi

I thought that too but it doesn't make sense that there is only two of them. They were off to the side of my parts so it has me second guessing that they are goblin parts but I have no idea where else these would have showed up from.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Correct, huh centric rings for the rear, front didn’t get any. If you got the parking brake kit, then you got the solstice calipers and rotors and you may need to shave ever so slightly the inside of that ring with a razor. Installed mine tonight and then wouldn’t sit flush against the wheel bearing to actually center the rotor on.

Mahkoi

Got the heat exchanger system filled with coolant last night. Third brake light and brackets came in the mail today so I stuck them on the frame. I'll get that wired in tomorrow but so far I like the look. Doesn't look trailer light-ish. Also got the cheap Amazon wing installed. I'm not going for functionality just the car looks off without something back there. The paint is drying tonight on the new 3 piece tunnel cover. So I'll work on getting the shifter and e-brake installed tomorrow as well. I've got colors figured out for what I want to do on the hood but not completely settled on the design. The hood pic is version 1 of what I'm thinking so it may change but I like how it's looking so far.
20220409_222940.jpg

20220409_205730.jpg
20220409_205801.jpg

Mahkoi

This is what happens when you ignore the cautions about buying a front end wreck donor. I leaned on the right rear tire while the car was on jack stands and noticed it had play on it with everything tight. The right front of my donor was where the bulk of my donor took a hit. Looks like the hole in the steering knuckle for the ball joint got opened up so even if you go WAY over torque for the pinch bolt the knuckle never grabs it tight. The right steering knuckle is discontinued by GM. So I guess the two options are hunt for used or replace my ball joints with a non ss and buy a non ss knuckle? Will the moog bolt on non ss ball joints work on the ss aluminum lower control arms?
Screenshot_20220501-203831_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
The turbo SS got a different control arm than any other with a larger ball joint stud. Someone probably installed the wrong control arm in the car at some point since most of the parts suppliers listings are wrong. A few on here have gotten a moog replacement ball joint that worked but several of us have also found them to be too small. I think the only option at this point is to source a non turbo knuckle and appropriate control arm, which you may already have.

Mahkoi

The turbo SS got a different control arm than any other with a larger ball joint stud. Someone probably installed the wrong control arm in the car at some point since most of the parts suppliers listings are wrong. A few on here have gotten a moog replacement ball joint that worked but several of us have also found them to be too small. I think the only option at this point is to source a non turbo knuckle and appropriate control arm, which you may already have.

I have the aluminum ss controll arms currently with new moog ss balljoints that have the larger diameter. Just wasn't sure if the non ss moog had long enough studs for the thicker aluminum control arms. The other thought is having a machine shop adapt the non ss knuckle for the larger diameter ball joint.