Making HP. LNF, LSJ, LE5, LAP vs L61

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
@Dsteinhorst I guess you are right, since that thing is running like a tractor it's no big difference if with or without balancing shafts. LOL
@Desert Sasqwatch That's true as well. I guess the SC is beneficial in an area between 1000-2000 where I currently not drive anyway. I will see if I find a TC Cobalt in my area at a dealership and take it for a test drive to see the engine characteristics.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I will see if I find a TC Cobalt in my area at a dealership and take it for a test drive to see the engine characteristics.
Not sure you're going to see one at a dealership, maybe a used car lot. These things haven't been sold at a dealership for an eon now.

Best things is to to trade rides with some one with a TC Cobalt or Goblin. Like, take me for a spin in your sand I'll do the same.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
N

Best things is to to trade rides with some one with a TC Cobalt or Goblin. Like, take me for a spin in your sand I'll do the same.
I have driven Brett and JBINTX’s turbo goblins several times, even at autocross. Although theirs are faster due to higher hp than my supercharger setup, mine definitely turns on the power faster than theirs. “Instant boost” is very correct from the sc vs the lag (although being very small) of the turbo. You feel it very well at autocross due to the quick off and on of the throttle over and over. Many passengers have commented the same thing, about how our cars turn power on differently.

Last edited:

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Here's more ammo for your argument: a supercharged LAP doesn't run as well as a factory LNF.
  • You're in MAF only mode so no VE tuning.
  • You're using a different throttle body that you have to make several adjustments for.
  • You have to figure out a PCV system.
  • The floppy cam settings don't play well with the supercharger curve so you get to play with those a bunch.
  • Your factory spark map is hilarious because of said floppy cam settings.
  • You're annoyingly in and out of boost on the highway in 5th gear so you're bouncing in and out of PE.
The list goes on.
How do you deal with all that?

Its $2k or so to supercharge the LAP. Josh and I could pretty much walk you through it. I say do it and have fun for a couple years until it blows up or you get bored.
I think that´s the way I am going. Getting my current motor super charged and then keep on looking for a LNF.

Markm

I remember the Gm publications we used to get and had John Lingenfelter with his ecotec powered cavaliers and they were really fast. I never got to see what they actually did to an L61 but it sure would be interesting

CajunJeff

They used the L61 block in their "How To Build a High HP Ecotec" book. Mostly aimed at drag cars (it included a built automatic trans) but the stock LSJ engine internals can hold 400+ HP. Biggest hindrance to making power on an LSJ is the restrictive intake manifold.

CajunJeff

If I recall, the "Big HP" L61 build included a cam-driven distributor, 3 injectors per cylinder, a turbo the size of a pumpkin, main cap/head studs that went all the way through the block, etc. and made around 1500HP. Same engine they used in the Bonneville LSR cars, detuned to around 1200 for longevity.