Manual Transmission Torque Management

Lechlis

I may have stumbled upon something interesting for those of us with manual transmissions.

When I am out for a spirited drive, I notice a power lag on quick shifts. Initially, I assumed it was turbo lag. After looking at the logs though, I found that the ignition timing was dropping significantly and taking approximately 1 second to recover once back at WOT.

In the picture below, the two vertical green bars represent 1 second. The top purple line is manifold pressure and the white line just below it is spark. There are two shifts in this picture and both times there is a delay (Poorly circled in red) before the ignition timing returns to the number specified in the timing tables.

I found that in the Transmission -> Torque Management tab there is Abuse Mode and Torque Reduction. I had always thought this would be ignored because this is a manual transmission vehicle, but I wondered if abuse mode might be kicking in, so I zeroed out all four of these tables. I was skeptical since it refers to transmission temp, but figured it could not hurt. Below is a snip of the HP Tuners screen.

Anyways, here is a snip of the first drive after making these changes. The timing lag is gone. There is still some true turbo lag as seen in the purple line, but the pick up after a shift is now much better.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Or...since it's a LNF you could use the no lift shifting and see if the timing drop and turbo lag are still present? I'd guess some timing drop will show up to keep the engine from over-reving with the gear change, but the lag should go away - my best guess?

Lechlis

Or...since it's a LNF you could use the no lift shifting and see if the timing drop and turbo lag are still present? I'd guess some timing drop will show up to keep the engine from over-reving with the gear change, but the lag should go away - my best guess?
LSJ here, so no fancy tricks on this ECU… :)

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Next question - why was the lag there? What purpose did it serve? Was it there to reduce tire spin, or increase engine longevity, or why?

edit: Could it be to reduce timing to prevent detonation before boost builds?

Lechlis

Next question - why was the lag there? What purpose did it serve? Was it there to reduce tire spin, or increase engine longevity, or why?
It is used to reduce power during the shift to maintain to some longevity for the transmission clutch packs as they release and apply.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I am going to add this to my list of things to test when I get into my tuning (currently in a weather delay). Will report back with my experience. I'm a little surprised that these auto trans-specific tables do stuff on a manual trans car, but then again, I've learned not to question that kind of stuff with HP Tuners.

Lechlis

I am going to add this to my list of things to test when I get into my tuning (currently in a weather delay). Will report back with my experience. I'm a little surprised that these auto trans-specific tables do stuff on a manual trans car, but then again, I've learned not to question that kind of stuff with HP Tuners.
Agreed. The only way I can rationalize it is if the computer is linking the throttle pedal position or rate of throttle body opening (The quick open-closed-open during a shift) to an abusive state and then applying the "Abuse Mode" criteria.

I just checked the ZZP base tune I have and everything is zeroed as well except for the Reduction Duration table. So, either this is just a canned tune for manual and automatic cars, or there is actually some method to the madness

Last edited: