Maryland Registration

TRISEM1

Not sure, but why not buy the Chevy Cobalt and register it, then convert it over! Only thing is the vin plate! Or find one built in 1997??? That then is a Hot rod no inspection?

SwerveMonkey

Kind of glad this thread is getting traction again...
Not sure, but why not buy the Chevy Cobalt and register it, then convert it over! Only thing is the vin plate! Or find one built in 1997??? That then is a Hot rod no inspection?
I was thinking to go this route as well, but over scrutinizing the wording in the law I would imagine that Md MVA would likely not let it fly... but that's speculation on my part.

I recently moved to Md from Ny, and I had plans to follow Bar-Air's work and try to get the goblin legal for NY streets.
At this point I am going the Montana route to be legally on the road. I plan to "poke the bear" by driving the goblin RIGHT UP TO the DMV and request information as to how and what is needed to register in Maryland.
I'll report back findings, but don't hold your breathe... I'm still 4-5 weeks away from the MT plates.

Kyleg88

Hey everyone, Not a DF Goblin Owner but an Exocet owner. I have talked to John a few times but this morning I shot a picture of my Exocet over to him in an e-mail and asked "Is there any reason you won't let this off the trailer to be inspected?". Missed his call but he left a voice mail stating that the Exocet is NOT a replica and therefore will not be registered as a Kit Car. The only mention of this I can find is on the MVA website and not in the Regs.

One thing I have noticed about John is that he will not respond to my e-mail. He does everything over the phone. Wonder why that is.

Reading through the MD Code of Regulations and it seems that vehicles like ours will be registered as an "Unorthodox Vehicle"

B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Constructed vehicle" means any vehicle which has been assembled by anyone other than a manufacturer of vehicles, and the chassis of another vehicle which has been assembled by a bona fide manufacturer was not used during the course of construction.
(2) "Reconstructed vehicle" means any vehicle which has been assembled from the chassis and other parts of vehicles which were originally constructed by bona fide manufacturers of vehicles.
(3) Unorthodox Vehicle.
(a) "Unorthodox vehicle" means a vehicle which is unusual in design and which deviates from the types of vehicles required to be titled and registered under the provisions of Transportation Article, Title 13, Annotated Code of Maryland, regardless if the vehicle was assembled by a bona fide vehicle manufacturer or by any other person.
(b) "Unorthodox vehicle" includes motorized wheel chairs, minibikes, trail machines, beach buggies, dune buggies,
and any other similar type of vehicle.

On the other side, I see no reason these vehicles cannot be titled under MD law as a Kit Car. There is no restrictions and they even list out criteria that you can fail under.

The Administration shall refuse to issue a certificate of title if:
(1) The required documents are not furnished or the information is incomplete;
(2) The individual bringing the vehicle to the Administration garage is not the applicant and cannot furnish a power of attorney authorizing the individual to sign for the applicant;
(3) The garage inspection reveals stolen parts;
(4) The application is being processed at a branch office of the Administration, and a statement certifying that the glider kit has been assembled by a Maryland licensed dealer or repair shop is not furnished;
(5) A security interest termination statement has not been furnished for each lien shown on record; or
(6) A title for a vehicle less than 7 years old is being assigned to the applicant and the applicant:
(a) Does not furnish a notarized bill of sale, and

(b) Refuses to pay excise tax on the greater of the book value or the purchase price of the vehicle.

I am going to give John a call on Tuesday and discuss further but I know of 1 Exocet owner that got his VIN through John back in 2016 and I have some of his paper work. None of the regs have changed since then so I don't see why we can't do it again.

Attachments

Kyleg88

Well I had a long conversation with John today. Basically his final words were "you are fighting a losing battle". I think there is a case to be fought here but I'm not sure I am up for it.

MD has regulations in place for "Unorthodox" Vehicles but he says thats all for nothing. Even if I get the Title Department to allow me to put a VIN on it the State Police won't put it on the vehicle. Excuse being that "When you get killed driving it, your family is going to be looking for someone to sue, and it won't be me."

Basically stated that since the "kit" that I built was made in 2021 it would be subject to all regulations for cars in 2021 I.E. Airbags, bumpers, fenders, etc. Sounds like a load to me.

Either way I figure I can either see if a friend can help me register it in another state, Take it to Missouri and let my family register it there, or go the Montana route. After one of those, I should be able to bring it BACK to MD and register it in the state. but he said even then it could get flagged and now allowed to be registered.

Honestly he was genuine and up front with me which I was appreciative of. He said he would like to see the laws change to allow some way for vehicles like this to be registered with a known degree of risk. But right now they just can't do it.

Hope this was helpful. If anyone wants to fight this, good luck. I know it can be done.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Sounds like the out of state registration is your only option. It also sounds like an attempt to re-register into MD from another state not feasible - would likely flag your car and draw unnecessary attention.

Montana is not that hard to complete, just takes time. And since it is legally registered to a business, with you as the proprietor, there is not much MD can do to prevent you from driving a Goblin in the state.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
What a load of poop. If they were worried about safety, then all motorcycles would be outlawed.

I’d go the Montana route and drive it by their office on a daily basis

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Well I had a long conversation with John today. Basically his final words were "you are fighting a losing battle". I think there is a case to be fought here but I'm not sure I am up for it.
What's ridiculous about john saying its not a replica is the fact that some other Factory Five 818's are registered and titled in Maryland. That is not a replica car. Complete bullshit and the problem is he is basically the only person who inspects kit cars in all of Maryland. He essentially had the same convo with me and told me its looks like a dune buggy. That's why I went Montana before selling. The problem is I am not sure I want to build another kit car in Maryland, knowing that its not getting titled here.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Why do you care where it gets titled? If Maryland doesn't want your tax money for vehicle registration, give it to Montana. Don't feel bad about it, you did try to give money to Maryland first. Put it on the road, and enjoy it!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Why do you care where it gets titled? If Maryland doesn't want your tax money for vehicle registration, give it to Montana. Don't feel bad about it, you did try to give money to Maryland first. Put it on the road, and enjoy it!
^ Exactly what I did.

noddaz

Dragging this back up. And the answer is Maryland will go after cars that are registered out of state. When someone moves here they have 30 days to have their cars registered in Maryland. After that those cars can be ticketed in Maryland for not having local registration.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Dragging this back up. And the answer is Maryland will go after cars that are registered out of state. When someone moves here they have 30 days to have their cars registered in Maryland. After that those cars can be ticketed in Maryland for not having local registration.
The point of registering through a Montana agent is, they provide you a physical address in Montana, which is all that's required to make registration there, 100% legal.

Maryland cops won't have a leg to stand on.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I believe this is true in most states for individuals. When registered in Montana, it is registered to an LLC with a Montana address.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The goblin car belongs to a company in Montana, and that company lets you drive it. Techically, you don't directly own it, a company does, which is its' own legal entity. If the company moves to Maryland, then it has 30 days to register it.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
The goblin car belongs to a company in Montana, and that company lets you drive it. Techically, you don't directly own it, a company does, which is its' own legal entity. If the company moves to Maryland, then it has 30 days to register it.
^ this

Markm

Glad we moved from the people’s republic of Maryland years ago but should’ve moved away sooner