Matt C's Street Goblin - Extended Frame #355 - 06 LS Donor

Matt C

Hey everyone,

Matt Cussans in Trenton, MI.

Let me just start off and say how much fun I've been having researching and reading other build guides. I'm not one to normally put things out on the forum or social media much, but I've learned so much just from what other builders have been writing and sharing their pictures, that maybe others would be interested how I'm going about my build.

I first learned about the Goblin from a Doughnut Media video on YouTube back in March which mentioned this kit car you build from a Cobalt donor. This is exactly what I have been looking for for my next project. It just seemed like a good fit. Fast forward a couple weeks, and I was on my way to pick up an 06' LS manual a few hours away from home (Detroit area). It was a running/driving car with your normal 150,000 mile blemishes and wear, but it looked like the interior was NEVER cleaned in it's lifetime. Got it for a great deal for $750.

So far, a great start to the project. I was a little worried it was just a normally aspirated 2.2L, but I'm also doing this on a budget, and when time permits (have kids and stuff). Also, I don't plan on doing any racing or autocross, just a nice weekend/nice day driver and going to car shows, so I think this will be a good setup.

I've been working on the project on an off for the past 6 months, taking it slow. I finally made the move and ordered my Goblin on Sep 5, Chassis #355. I'll post more of my past progress soon, making my way to post as I go.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Matt, welcome to the Goblin family. Good deal on the donor, should make a nice cruiser that will be plenty quick, especially with the manual transmission. Keep us posted on your progress and be sure to ask the forum with any questions you may have, we are here to help. :)

Matt C

So, to continue with my build, I finally started the tear down of my donor at the end of April 2021. It took about 3 weeks, working on it an hour here, hour there, to get everything taken out. Finally dropped the engine out at the end of May. The hardest part was getting the driver side steering knuckle free from the strut. It was so corroded on, I had to take it to a shop to get pressed out. They mentioned they've never seen something so attached. I felt a little better after that, since I tried everything. It was so corroded, that I wasn't even able to use it. Found a replacement set at a local junk yard.

My wife wasn't too keen on having the Cobalt body shell just sitting in our driveway like a lawn ornament, so I had to get ride of it quick. Ended up chopping it up into a million pieces and taking it to a local scrap yard. I'm sure I pissed the neighbors off during the 5 hours of sawz-alling. I chopped it up to keep the title just in case the state of Michigan requires it during the registration process. It was a nice stress relief, totally destroying a car.

Attachments

jayrolls

So, to continue with my build, I finally started the tear down of my donor at the end of April 2021. It took about 3 weeks, working on it an hour here, hour there, to get everything taken out. Finally dropped the engine out at the end of May. The hardest part was getting the driver side steering knuckle free from the strut. It was so corroded on, I had to take it to a shop to get pressed out. They mentioned they've never seen something so attached. I felt a little better after that, since I tried everything. It was so corroded, that I wasn't even able to use it. Found a replacement set at a local junk yard.

My wife wasn't too keen on having the Cobalt body shell just sitting in our driveway like a lawn ornament, so I had to get ride of it quick. Ended up chopping it up into a million pieces and taking it to a local scrap yard. I'm sure I pissed the neighbors off during the 5 hours of sawz-alling. I chopped it up to keep the title just in case the state of Michigan requires it during the registration process. It was a nice stress relief, totally destroying a car.
That’s what I did as well.

Matt C

After getting rid of the body of my donor, I had some time while I saved my pennies to officially order my kit. I figured this would be a great time to go through the engine and get things cleaned up. I was really surprised how good the engine looked inside with 155,000 miles. You never know how the previous owners maintained it, or drove it, but I think I got a good one. I've always tinkered with my cars, but this would be the first time completely rebuilding an engine. Not a bad one to try out. I was only planning on rebuilding and not necessarily upgrading too many parts. I ended up reusing the pistons and crank as they were in really good shape.

Got the engine completely torn down in a few days. Took the block, head, pistons and crank to a local machine shop to get inspected, honed and decked. Since the engine is going to be exposed (I opted to not order the engine covers), I was a little disappointed how much oxidation corrosion was still left after the hot tank. I found a local(ish) vapor blaster, and sent the block and steering knuckles to them. I'm very impressed how everything came out. However, it wasn't until AFTER I went to pick up the parts, did the blaster mention he didn't have enough room in his cabinet to get the sides of the block, but everything else came out great. I was hoping to not have to paint the block, but decided it needed a few coats of VHT

Attachments

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Are you planning on replacing the rods with OE parts? Or do you have bigger plans? Looks good!

Chris_WNC

I have a stage 2 ported head with turbo cam from a builder and I only asked for hot tank bath. The oxidation on it is embarrassing. :oops: I’m going to try and clean it up some before I coat it and install it.

CHRIS

Matt C

Are you planning on replacing the rods with OE parts? Or do you have bigger plans? Looks good!
I reused the stock crank, pistons and rods, as they were in really good shape when I tore it down. Since I'm doing this on a budget, I didn't update any of those parts. I just wanted to replace all the bearings and seals and clean everything up.. That way I know what I have and if it breaks, then it's my own fault. If I win the lottery, I wouldn't mind throwing a turbo on it. I would have to get a later year ECM as, from what I can tell, the 2006 I have isn't tunable.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Is that a F23? Looks small for a F35. If it is a F35 post where you found the new transmission for others on the forum who may be looking. :D

Matt C

I'm going through, organizing all the parts for power coat and notice these two parts that were strapped to the back of the frame. Does anyone know what these parts are? I don't want to coat them the wrong color.

Attachments

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Toe link bar and floor support strap. The toe link bar bolts to the subframe in place of the steering rack to fix the orientation of the wheels.