Mayor West's 09 SS/TC Ext. Track Turbo #191 [South Carolina] [Registered] [Sold]

Ross

Goblin Guru
I think you take this forum for granted, and say what you want.
Ever wonder how what it would be to build your car if you somehow lost access this forum?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The reason our car didn't start the first time was it was not getting spark. It didn't take long to figure it out because I remember seeing the headlight harness uses the same plug as the coil pack harness. I was trying to light off my headlights instead of the fuel. Make sure you have the correct plug plugged into the coil pack. Use the wire colors as your guide.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
The reason our car didn't start the first time was it was not getting spark. It didn't take long to figure it out because I remember seeing the headlight harness uses the same plug as the coil pack harness. I was trying to light off my headlights instead of the fuel. Make sure you have the correct plug plugged into the coil pack. Use the wire colors as your guide.
I'll double check but I don't remember seeing any similar plugs unhooked.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I haven't tried it myself but maybe you could pull a coil pack out leaving the spark plug and try to start it to see if the spark will jump to ground ?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Chad, I have an 09 LNF so I don't think I have that same harness that LSJs do? At least I couldn't find it. I'll continue to look for a similar plug, though.

I'm going to have to get my wife to help me look at spark plugs while I crank it, it's sorta hard to do by myself.

Fuel pump works, I jumped the fuse to prime it before cranking (I primed it a lot, thought that I originally may have over-primed it, but IDK)
Cluster lights up, no issues or concerning DTC's showing up (expected evap and similar only)

It basically sounds like a huge air pump. I've read a lot about this and a lot of suggestions point toward timing chain being broken or done incorrectly. I did the Cloyes set for both sets and followed the directions. It was fairly straight forward and everything was done per the instructions. I don't suspect that to be the issue but who knows. I'm going to pull the valve cover tonight and check the timing chain.

My wife took a video but she's out right now so I don't have access to her phone. Just imagine a car turning over, no fire so no pops/bangs.... just cranking.

I've checked all my fuses but will run through them again. I recently had some trouble with my black multiplug (it's stuck in the fuse box and will not come out, the bolt's stripped) so I'm wondering if that's playing a role in it. I also may have damaged some relays in the process of trying to get it out... so I'll check that too.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I think you are heading in the right direction by checking for spark first. Especially if you thought you smelled raw gas, so you know it's getting gas. You can't really over-prime, the excess is just going to go back into the tank. Priming won't flood the engine or anything (unless you have a stuck injector).

You could also possibly do a compression check to see if the timing is way off. Hopefully not, that could lead to some valve damage. If you followed the Cloyes directions closely, you should be fine. Other than that dang adjuster not always wanting to pop like is supposed to, but still I think you would get it to fire off.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I think you are heading in the right direction by checking for spark first. Especially if you thought you smelled raw gas, so you know it's getting gas. You can't really over-prime, the excess is just going to go back into the tank. Priming won't flood the engine or anything (unless you have a stuck injector).

You could also possibly do a compression check to see if the timing is way off. Hopefully not, that could lead to some valve damage. If you followed the Cloyes directions closely, you should be fine. Other than that dang adjuster not always wanting to pop like is supposed to, but still I think you would get it to fire off.
The LNF is a returnless fuel system, right? There's only one fuel line. Could I flood it? I opened the spark plugs and ran it open to try and purge any mess out but that didn't help.

I'll try a comp test, spark test, and checky timing job this week while I'm in and out from work.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I keep forgetting about you having an LNF. Even though it doesn't have external return, the pump is only going to pump up to pressure and then bleed off anything more at the pump in the tank. Now this is assuming you were just priming, cranking is another thing. Yes it could flood if you were excessively cranking with no ignition. You can also flood with the cranking with the plugs out, but to a lesser extent. And that usually quickly evaporates.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It basically sounds like a huge air pump. I've read a lot about this and a lot of suggestions point toward timing chain being broken or done incorrectly. I did the Cloyes set for both sets and followed the directions. It was fairly straight forward and everything was done per the instructions. I don't suspect that to be the issue but who knows. I'm going to pull the valve cover tonight and check the timing chain.

My wife took a video but she's out right now so I don't have access to her phone. Just imagine a car turning over, no fire so no pops/bangs.... just cranking.
I bet something is off here. If it sounds like a huge air pump, I wonder if timing is off and you have no compression.

SACTX

That sounds almost exactly like mine did when I forgot to put in the fuel pump relay after priming. It would hit once or twice and then immediately fall flat. It hit enough that I would let off of the key and then it would do it again and again.

Check your relay.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I may not have mentioned it earlier but I damaged my black multiplug (stripped the screw in it) and a few of the relays got beaten up in the man handling I did trying to get that plug out to diagnose other issues, so it's incredibly likely that it could be damaged or dislodged.

The fuel pump does appear to be working, and the 15amp use for the pump is in place and intact, however I did break at least one relay in my black multiplug incident, I replaced it with another relay of an unused/removed part so I could have simply done that wrong.

After work I was planning on going that route.