Mayor West's 09 SS/TC Ext. Track Turbo #191 [South Carolina] [Registered] [Sold]

gearjammer

I just read the post about your seats and the signpost. I have Braum seats as well. I was going to have some custom seat supports welded in, but might end up doing this. Did you just used bolts/nuts from Lowe’s and drill holes into the already existing chassis supports?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I just read the post about your seats and the signpost. I have Braum seats as well. I was going to have some custom seat supports welded in, but might end up doing this. Did you just used bolts/nuts from Lowe’s and drill holes into the already existing chassis supports?
What seats do you have? I absolutely LOVE mine.

Here's a rough list of what I bought:
  • 4x 3 foot 1.25" Square Post @ 21.98 each
    • These will need to be cut to size and painted
    • You could substitute these for normal square tube but I didn't price that out.
  • 5x 4 count M8 1.25 Nyloc Nuts (4 per bag, so 20 nuts total) @ $.68 each
  • 2x 10 count 8MM washers @ $1.38 each
  • 20x 3/8 Steel Spacers @ $1.15 each
    • You need about 1" but they only had 1.25" so I had to cut all mine to size.
    • These go inside the tubes to help bolster the square sign post.
  • 8x M8 1.25 Bolts @ 3.16 each
    • At least 70-75mm, can be cut to length if longer
    • Sized to fit through the sign post through the frame
  • 12x M8 1.25 Bolts @ 3.12 each
    • Around 60 mm, can be cut to length if longer
    • Sized to fit through the seat to the sign post
Total cost was about $179.80 + tax.
You can cut down on this if you only use 4 bolts per seat and no spacers by about 17 bucks.

I used a welder to tack the bolts to the outsides of the sign post, to make removing from the frame easier. The seat then bolts on to that. Finding the right spot is sorta tricky so find and drill your holes in the frame before welding them in. I used blue painters tape to help align them and screw them in. ez-pz.

The idea is you put the small tube spacers (each cut to size if necessary) in between the sign post, to help sturdy it up. Each seat gets 6 bolts to attach to the sign post, and each sign post gets 2 bolts each. The sign post just barely has a perfect lineup to the DF frame.I have an extended frame so I can't say for sure how it lines up with a standard frame.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I will second Karter’s experience. I got a tune from them last Black Friday to use as a base tune. I went through 7 revisions before I stopped sending anything to Al. Each taking about 3-5 days from the time I sent in a new log to receiving an updated file. On revision 7, it was still running so rich that is smoked at idle and the logged misfire counter was off the chart.

It worked out well that I was working on a tune of my own in between revisions from ZZP. Feeling confident with HP Tuners from my own self taught tuning, I personally find it interesting that they say there is a need to treat it any different than a regular Cobalt.
That sorta validates my choice to go local I guess, I was hoping that ZZP would be the ultimate tuning resource, even remotely, but you two not being happy with it after so many revisions I will just go local and be there in person.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
What seats do you have? I absolutely LOVE mine.

Here's a rough list of what I bought:
  • 4x 3 foot 1.25" Square Post @ 21.98 each
    • These will need to be cut to size and painted
    • You could substitute these for normal square tube but I didn't price that out.
  • 5x 4 count M8 1.25 Nyloc Nuts (4 per bag, so 20 nuts total) @ $.68 each
  • 2x 10 count 8MM washers @ $1.38 each
  • 20x 3/8 Steel Spacers @ $1.15 each
    • You need about 1" but they only had 1.25" so I had to cut all mine to size.
    • These go inside the tubes to help bolster the square sign post.
  • 8x M8 1.25 Bolts @ 3.16 each
    • At least 70-75mm, can be cut to length if longer
    • Sized to fit through the sign post through the frame
  • 12x M8 1.25 Bolts @ 3.12 each
    • Around 60 mm, can be cut to length if longer
    • Sized to fit through the seat to the sign post
Total cost was about $179.80 + tax.
You can cut down on this if you only use 4 bolts per seat and no spacers by about 17 bucks.

I used a welder to tack the bolts to the outsides of the sign post, to make removing from the frame easier. The seat then bolts on to that. Finding the right spot is sorta tricky so find and drill your holes in the frame before welding them in. I used blue painters tape to help align them and screw them in. ez-pz.

The idea is you put the small tube spacers (each cut to size if necessary) in between the sign post, to help sturdy it up. Each seat gets 6 bolts to attach to the sign post, and each sign post gets 2 bolts each. The sign post just barely has a perfect lineup to the DF frame.I have an extended frame so I can't say for sure how it lines up with a standard frame.
That’s great info

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Any chance you can link all these items individually? I'd like to compare them against what I have in my shopping cart(s).
NRG Innovations - 320mm Suede Grip Steering Wheel - RST-012S-RS
$102.60 after+ 5% off coupon

NRG Gen 2 Quick Release
$83.56 after 10$ off eBay coupon (I paid a little more to get the gunmetal color - black was/is cheaper) Gen 3 is too expensive for my tastes.

1/2" 3 to 6 Adapter
$12.83

$198.99 Total

You don't need the NRG Base to use these, just get a 3 to 6 adapter like the one above. They're currently out of stock but eBay and other amazon sellers have 1/2" 3 to 6 adapters around for about 11-12 bucks. I am going to have to drill out the 3 larger holes in the center to fit DF's adapter, but that's it.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I'm installing my new suspension from Ark, but there aren't any DF instructions that I can find for the stock Cobalt suspension. I know plenty of you have done it but it looks like I may be missing a spacer for the top of the struts?

Can someone tell me if there's something that goes on top of the stock struts?

@Adam @Lonny

Attachments

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Looking at pictures, it looks like there should be a spacer.

cant help you on the coolant hose. Probably need some bulk hose.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Looking at pictures, it looks like there should be a spacer.

cant help you on the coolant hose. Probably need some bulk hose.
Yeah, I think I'm missing a piece? I have the coilover suspension adapters I paid 50 bucks for but nothing for the stock ones.

I'm guessing because I got the coilover adapters that I didn't get the stock ones. Makes sense but I need the stock ones.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I'm installing my new suspension from Ark, but there aren't any DF instructions that I can find for the stock Cobalt suspension. I know plenty of you have done it but it looks like I may be missing a spacer for the top of the struts?

Can someone tell me if there's something that goes on top of the stock struts?

@Adam @Lonny
Alex stopped by with his Goblin so I took a picture for you

Attachments