Mayor West's 09 SS/TC Ext. Track Turbo #191 [South Carolina] [Registered] [Sold]

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Feels good to get that done, doesn't it!
My dad has that same JD tractor, that thing will pull down a house. I love it.

I always love the feeling of getting an engine out. I had to buy a new engine stand cause my old one is is dispose, borrowed by a friend. I'll have it on the stand soon for a good scrub and miscellaneous refreshing.

After that I'm gonna do the wiring harness and probably table the whole project for a good while while I squirrel away a few bucks to order stage 1.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Update: got the grounds all situated and refreshed the battery and got a new starter. It fired up beautifully and runs great. Didn't try to drive it cause it's roughed up but I trust it'll be ok.

Got most of the interior removed, and today I removed the cooling system, A/C, intake piping and all the engine wiring harnesses. Took some pics of the cams and turbo inlet to see how everything was. Looks like the previous owner took good enough care of it, looks like the oil was recently changed too when I checked the dipstick.

I need to get my engine stand back from a friend so I'm taking my time to get to that point.
You scored. That motor has been maintained very well.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Engine on the stand!

After closer inspection it looks like my compressor wheel has a little too much play in it. In my original pictures posted previously in this thread I thought it was just the angle of my view but now that I have the engine on the stand I can see there's contact between the compressor wheel and the housing.

There's a turbo shop in Charlotte, NC called Turbo Exchange that I used on my 300ZX I'm gonna call to ask about a rebuild since it looks like it's still in good shape and that it never made major contact during boost.

New replacement is 700$ from ZZP, their performance models are out of stock and a good bit more money. Anyone know of a reputable CHRA supplier? I googled a few and saw some on eBay buy the idea of an eBay part makes me cringe.

Attachments

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Got the brakes off last night, sold them for $268 shipped. Is that good? I saw them new on eBay for $399 and used for $250+ shipping so I figured it was an OK price given the market. This is currently the only thing I've sold on the car. I have a few people on CL & FB that are asking about a few pieces. I clearly posted that the wheels/seats aren't for sale and almost every inquiry asks about those specifically.

Also took off the front suspension and axles. Progress is slow, but sure! I hope to get the engine out soon, still waiting on my engine stand that my friend's using. Considering buying a new one if I can't get it sooner.
Seats and harnesses are a very worthwhile expense. Sell those stock ones if you can!

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Seats and harnesses are a very worthwhile expense. Sell those stock ones if you can!
I think the plan is to use them, at least temporarily, to save some money on the front-end of the project. If I sell them I'll just have to buy replacements so wheels, seats, and belts are slated for reuse for the time being.

That being said, I've cleaned the intake side of the engine with my new MAG wheel acid and it looks great. I'm having a hard time completely fixing the effects of DI engines, there's a lot of carbon funk built up on the intake valves as to be expected. I don't have a before picture but you've all seen your own, they're all black and grimy.

Attachments

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Today I (finally) got rid of my shell. I had a hard time finding someone to get it, even for free, people couldn't get it through their heads that a shell with nothing attached wasn't a free drivable car.

Anyway, I didn't have a way to get it to a scrap yard and every yard I called said they refused to pick it up because metal just wasn't worth much.

I put it up on FB marketplace tonight for free and within 2 hours it was gone to a dude who runs his own scrap place. I gave him the title but he said he'd just toss it either way. Oh well!

He paid me $40 bucks for the cat, too, which was a nice unexpected bonus.

Update on the engine is in waiting on seals and gaskets die to the GM strike. So I have no idea when that will go through.

I still hope to get the kit order started around February of 2020.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was much more lucky. I have a tailor and hauled it just a few miles down the road and got almost $100 for it. They later let me use the same scale to weight my build.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
After 3+ years of lurking and having my donor disassembled in my garage for several months now, I've finally placed my deposit for a kit!

Having a baby in April and taking 4 months paternity leave, hoping to have it all done by the time its over.

My wife is extremely forgiving. If she ever reads this, I love you very much.

Got an extended turbo city track kit, excited to start the waiting game!

Thanks to everyone for all their help in the disassembly process and in answering all my questions.

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I just saw your post and asked Adam if we sold a kit today he said nope, we sold two. #190 and #191.
Adam's going to have to buy more VIN tags pretty soon. 201-300.
Happy for you all in your success, these cars are awesome. Can't wait to put it together.

Anks329

After 3+ years of lurking and having my donor disassembled in my garage for several months now, I've finally placed my deposit for a kit!

Having a baby in April and taking 4 months paternity leave, hoping to have it all done by the time its over.

My wife is extremely forgiving. If she ever reads this, I love you very much.

Got a turbo city kit, excited to start the waiting game!

Thanks to everyone for all their help in the dissassembly process and in answering all my questions.
Congrats on the order (and the baby!!).

I placed my order right before you this afternoon, so I'll be frame 190. It's an exciting day :)

Jcas

I just saw your post and asked Adam if we sold a kit today he said nope, we sold two. #190 and #191.
Adam's going to have to buy more VIN tags pretty soon. 201-300.
I called 4 weeks ago and Adam said if I had ordered then I would have been 183 but I ordered last Friday and became 188 wow Lonny you may have to clone yourself to start building chasis in your sleep too

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Today I finished the first video of the organizing the dash harness and I am happy to say that so far I haven't screwed anything up. I want to thank Lonny & Adam for making the more detailed and inclusive videos, the time it takes to make those must add up. I appreciate it and I'm really enjoying getting to do the harness without too much worry about screwing it up.

I can definitely understand why it's such an expense to have DF do it, though. There's a lot of tedious steps.

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Tonight I finished the current last of the new wiring videos and am waiting for the next dash -> body wiring combining video to drop.

I definitely think this is straightforward enough to do on your own, the new videos DF put up are substantially more informative than the original ones, especially on turbo additions. I'm glad I went this route, makes me feel like I'm more involved in the build.

My thumbs and fingertips are raw from twisting wires and soldering, but as far as my expert eye can tell I did a stand-up job. Hope it all works! I got a little mixed up with some labeled wires accidentally getting cut in the excitement but now it's all back and tidied up. It's nuts how much wire is removed.

According to Adam, my kit should have started the assembly process by now. I'm excited to be getting closer to the build!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The new series is definitely a great improvement over the old one. I especially like how they systematically move through the harness.

I'm exactly where you are with the wiring now. Once my harness is done, I'm pretty close to a first-start. There's still some work to do but I'm at the point in the original videos where the harness needs fed through the frame, soooooo. :)

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Ordered a set of wheels/tires and spacers, here's the info on them.

AVID.1 AV-06 Hyper Black @ 16.4 lbs each (eBay)
17x9 et42 5x114.3
32mm conversion spacers (110 to 114.3)

Nitto 555 G2 (Summit Racing)
Front: 245/50/17 @ 26.4 lbs each
Rear: 285/45/17 @ 30.8 lbs each

Total Weight for each tire/wheel combo (without spacer/valve stem)
Front: 42.8 lbs
Rear: 47.2 lbs

Total cost with tax/shipping: $1,303.55
Tires: $602.70
Wheels: $395.85
Spacers: $305.00

Last edited: