Metal Mech's Goblin #397 - 2.4L N/A Standard Frame (Project Phoenix)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Don't believe the Dorman parts are better than other parts - they may be coming from the same parts source in China anyway - so saving a few buck is probably the way to go.

RCK605

I ordered the cheap one on Amazon. Haven't installed it yet so I don't know of any fitment issues yet. Like Sqwatch said, they likely come from the same supplier in China.

I finally finished the first point of no return portion of the year downView attachment 39758

Now I got a bunch of labeling to do on the harness. Everything unplugged so far I remember what it is but time to do it right before I forget. I’ve been holding off because it’s tedious and boring.
I am getting ideas for when I order my kit. Quick question though. Is it really easier to sawsall the front end off to pull the drivetrain? I was planning on wrapping my chain hoist to the support, sticking a couple movers dolly's underneath, unbolting everything and just lifting up the body and roll it all out from underneath.

snirtman

If you have to work on jackstands, then cutting out the core support and pulling the engine from the front is your best bet. However, if you have a lift or chain hoist that can lift the body high enough, it's far easier to disconnect everything (brakes, struts, arms, subframe, steering rack) and remove it piecemeal, lower the car until the engine/trans is on a dolly, then lift the body off and roll the engine trans out from under.

I read several horror stories on the forum about trying to get the axles out of the trans, so I did NOT want to do that. Engine and trans came out together, stayed together and went into the Goblin together.

Metal Mech

I am getting ideas for when I order my kit. Quick question though. Is it really easier to sawsall the front end off to pull the drivetrain? I was planning on wrapping my chain hoist to the support, sticking a couple movers dolly's underneath, unbolting everything and just lifting up the body and roll it all out from underneath.
I cut the front beam out before I was ready to drop the engine and found it made getting to some parts easier for disconnecting them as well.

Metal Mech

Got the floor pans installed. Got lucky and my job loaned me an electric rivet gun for the weekend.
After I finished my floor pans I went over to Comegetjoe’s and helped him install his floor pans.
I gotta say is nice having someone so close also building a Goblin

Metal Mech

Not much to post recently.
Today is the one year of receiving my stage one kit.
Though it was technically this day I got it on Father’s Day last year.
Considering everything I had to accomplish before I could even start working on it I would say progress is good.
currently just trying to clean up the steering rack and get it installed.

Metal Mech

Been a while since I posted.
My motivation to work in the car dropped quite a bit after Father’s Day.
I’ve been slowly tinkering away at the steering rack and I finally got it all ready to install.
Gonna try and see if I can’t get that done this evening.

Metal Mech

Well painting it was a bad idea. Even with primer it’s rubbing off with even a lighrub. Even paper towels/rags aren’t helping.
That’s what I get for listening to my co-workers.
Edit: I let my frustration get to me and forgot the main reason I was making a post.
When I attached the steering shaft to the rack the original bolt was too short and wouldn’t work. So I used the one that is supposed to go on the other end. I’m gonna need to replace that one. Can I use just any old bolt that has the same thread or does it need to be a special bolt?

Last edited:

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Idk about you but the heats not helping. Lots of other things in my life have changed my focus for now. Motivational changes, I feel, are bound to happen at some point. Life gets in the way. Keep at it and if you need a hand lmk.

Metal Mech

Idk about you but the heats not helping. Lots of other things in my life have changed my focus for now. Motivational changes, I feel, are bound to happen at some point. Life gets in the way. Keep at it and if you need a hand lmk.
Yeah lots of things are causing the lack of motivation. Just didn’t feel like going into details.
If your not busy Sunday I may need some help flipping the frame right side up.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Lack of motivation happens. It’s a long project and life happens. I took several breaks on mine, but I had to keep them short or it would end up in the corner with junk piled around it.

As for the bolt; you should be able to scavenge one from all the extra bolts on the cobalt.

Metal Mech

Installed rack last night. First lesson for the kid in using a torq wrench.
You can see I reprimed over where paint wore off. Gonna hit it with black tonight. I know it’s gonna rub/flake off eventually but want it to at least look good for the moment.
I am guessing I’m not using the right primer for aluminum? Not my first time painting stuff but aluminum yes. Just happy it’s in. Gonna install the limiter kit. Inner tire rods and boots next. Probably gonna wait till I flip it over. Try to avoid the tie rods flopping around and possibly getting in the way when I flip it.
I also want to add some grease to the rack. Anything specific or will bearing grease do the job?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Painting aluminum shouldn't be much different than anything else. Self-etching primer might be a little better, but If you had it clean, it shouldn't have been a problem with regular primer. Or even krylon spray prime/paint in one should have worked ok.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't use just any grease. There are many types of grease, and they may not be compatible with each other. Mixing greases can lead to glass abrasive particles being made, and wrecking a good part. Try to track down what the original grease was.

Metal Mech

Painting aluminum shouldn't be much different than anything else. Self-etching primer might be a little better, but If you had it clean, it shouldn't have been a problem with regular primer. Or even krylon spray prime/paint in one should have worked ok.
I used self etching primer. I even painted it inside the warehouse at work minimize humidity.
It was clean but I wonder if I should have gone over it with an alcohol pad.
I’m not gonna worry about it for now. If it starts to look bad later it’s not that hard to get to and remove.