Michigan builders.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Hi everyone, I just left the secretary of states office and I will put this here to help out anybody who will be going through the process next.

First and most importantly you will need the title of the donor car preferably in your name. They appreciate that the parts that came off of the donor car aren’t stolen.

Secondly you will need the MCO from DF kit car. There are no catches to this part and everything is self-explanatory.

Thirdly you will need a filled out TR 54 form from a local police officer. now on this form you will need to fill out sections one and two:
In the first section under vehicle identification number I put none because technically there is no VIN number assigned to it yet but the lady behind the counter asked if the chassis number that comes from DF should be there. We talked it over and both agreed that none or NA is acceptable.
In part two I had checked all the boxes except the box that stated you needed to outside mirrors for a half ton truck. I will cross that bridge when the inspector comes out about the windshield and windshield wiper

The fourth item that you will need is your invoice from DF showing what you paid for the kit. everything here is self-explanatory to the clerk.

The fifth item is a a written statement that I typed up and signed stating that I was the builder using parts and pieces from a kit and from a donor car. It didn’t have to be long just had to have a brief overview of what you are actually doing.

While I was there there was some questions regarding mileage and I ended up having to sign a odometer affidavit stating that the car has 109,000 miles but not actual miles on the chassis. I did find it weird that they only charged me the $25 title application fee and no taxes on the kit itself but I’m not gonna complain about that. I was told they are currently about eight weeks out to send an inspector from Lansing. The lady behind the counter was very nice and thanked me for being so well prepared in making her life easier.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to reach out and I will do my best to answer them

Mahkoi

Hi everyone, I just left the secretary of states office and I will put this here to help out anybody who will be going through the process next.

First and most importantly you will need the title of the donor car preferably in your name. They appreciate that the parts that came off of the donor car aren’t stolen.

Secondly you will need the MCO from DF kit car. There are no catches to this part and everything is self-explanatory.

Thirdly you will need a filled out TR 54 form from a local police officer. now on this form you will need to fill out sections one and two:
In the first section under vehicle identification number I put none because technically there is no VIN number assigned to it yet but the lady behind the counter asked if the chassis number that comes from DF should be there. We talked it over and both agreed that none or NA is acceptable.
In part two I had checked all the boxes except the box that stated you needed to outside mirrors for a half ton truck. I will cross that bridge when the inspector comes out about the windshield and windshield wiper

The fourth item that you will need is your invoice from DF showing what you paid for the kit. everything here is self-explanatory to the clerk.

The fifth item is a a written statement that I typed up and signed stating that I was the builder using parts and pieces from a kit and from a donor car. It didn’t have to be long just had to have a brief overview of what you are actually doing.

While I was there there was some questions regarding mileage and I ended up having to sign a odometer affidavit stating that the car has 109,000 miles but not actual miles on the chassis. I did find it weird that they only charged me the $25 title application fee and no taxes on the kit itself but I’m not gonna complain about that. I was told they are currently about eight weeks out to send an inspector from Lansing. The lady behind the counter was very nice and thanked me for being so well prepared in making her life easier.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to reach out and I will do my best to answer them

Awesome, thank you. This cleared up a few questions that I have had.

gearjammer

Just got my TR-54 signed…all boxes checked except for Safety Glass, Wipers, Washers, and half-ton truck rearview mirrors. On to the SOS! Really hoping to make the dream cruise this year.

gearjammer

I think I am mostly done…needs a tune, better wheel alignment, and some warmer weather so I can plastidip the body panels. I am in White Lake though if anyone wants to come check it out.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Anyone in Michigan needing to do an alignment I have toe plates you are welcome to use. I’ve done my alignment a few times and I pretty happy with the outcome.

I am having trouble getting this thing insured. What did you guys do? or will the state give me a plate without it? I have my VIN now

Matt C

Dang, I'm just now finding this thread. You guys have some great info here! I just ordered my Stage 3. Just set the car down on it's own wheels last night for the first time.

Since I don't yet have the lights or mirrors, when did you all start the VIN process? Is it best to have everything done first? Will the cops not sign the TR-54 if they don't see the stuff installed yet? I'm hoping to get away without having to get safety glass and wipers (the slingshot doesn't have those).

Hopefully going to do my first drive around the block on Friday.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
If there's one thing I've learned from my own experience and listening to people on here its that the whole process is really subjective and up to the individual cop / SOS clerk you get. I would start sooner rather than later. Worst case scenario you just show them you have the stuff required, but its not installed, or you just don't have the boxes checked like a few others have done.

Also slingshot doesn't need it because its a "motorcycle" I believe. 3 wheels exempts you from a lot of the BS

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
It was not long after I went to the SOS that the inspector called me to come see it. Like 10 days. So take that for what it’s worth. All depends on the timing

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
So when are we all meeting up?

Also I’m getting an insurance quote from the same place Captain Frank in Florid just got his. Ill update when they get it to me. Progress it the only thing up here I could find last year and they are way to much for comp only. But he’ll I wanted to drive my car.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Got a quote back from captain franks lady. $658 a year with comp and collision. $25,000 agreed price. You are limited to 3000 miles a year. I’m going to go with it. @jirwin what city are you in again?