Mid Engine Cobalt

Classy

As many of you probably got sick of me dancing around different ideas and then got irritated with me for wanting to chop up a new goblin chassis, I seen the light!!

I am going to do a mid engine swap on a cobalt. It will have a LS4 and F40 transmission. I will be buying cobalt (likely SS) with a clean title and selling off the drivetrain.
But in the mean time, I am getting this to be my test mule for me to cut up and plan on

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
That is an interesting mod, very sure it hasn't been tried on a Cobalt before. Will be interesting to see what you come up with for the subframes - front and back.

Classy

I plan on running the factory subframe up front, and the aluminum LS4 subframe in the rear. As of now, I am planning on using the factory shock mounting points and making longer front LCA’s to increase the front track width

gofast

Okay, let's get real wild here. Keep the engine in the front and add another in the rear. Eight cylinders, just like you wanted and the added benefit of 4wd.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Okay, let's get real wild here. Keep the engine in the front and add another in the rear. Eight cylinders, just like you wanted and the added benefit of 4wd.

Classy

It would have to be automatic transmissions, I have no idea how you could sync 2 different manual transmissions with the clutches

But at the end of the day, I still want a single V8

Classy

My wife killed that idea when I told her my budget

So, I have been reviewing this build in DETAIL! And I have decided not to build a cobalt, there are too many issues with doing it... I would have to widen the front track to meet the impala front (now rear) track. This means widening the body front and rear. I need 5x114.3 hubs, venting was going to be a nightmare on a cobalt. So I went in search of another FWD Coupe that would fit my needs better and look better in the process. (Never really liked how cobalts looked). In my search, I found the Kia Forte Koup. It almost looks like a modern Fiero, it has the right track width, and 5x114.3 hubs. The best part is venting will be much simpler over a cobalt. So, I will be on the hunt for a Kia to LS swap

Dale E

Why not just go straight to the Fiero then? It already has the holes in the right places -- modify mounting points a bit add engine and rewire. Cut a few new holes if you want. Glue on aftermarket body panels or paint it with an exoskeleton frame.

Tinkles

Motortrend's Hot Rod Garage did that with a newer Impala and turbocharged both LS4s.

As for venting on the Cobalt, if you put the firewall between the B-pillars then the rear side windows and rear window can be turned into vents. Also Jeffery Reiland sells 5x114 Cobalt hubs.

Classy

I have seen the twin engine impala, I am using a lot of the pictures for reference. I was actually planning on taking the rear side windows out and making an inset louver. I know that you can make anything work, but this is much simpler. Being the right track width, I won’t need to do any body modifications for wheels except maybe some rolling and pulling, flares in the worst case scenario. I will make body modifications for venting and scoops.
And at the end of the day, I think it looks MUCH better

Classy

Not to this extent. I have been researching other LS4 mid engine swaps to fill in some gaps in my knowledge base though. I’m not worried about the fab part, not really worried about electrical, mechanically it is just lining everything up and making everything work together.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Have you ever done anything like this before?
Not to this extent. I have been researching other LS4 mid engine swaps to fill in some gaps in my knowledge base though. I’m not worried about the fab part, not really worried about electrical, mechanically it is just lining everything up and making everything work together.
So what experience do you have? I see lots of unfinished projects like this for sale all the time from people who claim they know what they are getting into. "it's just a simple LS swap, everyone does them". That is how I found the Goblin, my brother in law wanted to do an engine swap in something and I tried talking him into doing Goblin first, 1.5 years later I have my own goblin about 80% complete and he has done nothing.

Classy

I have worked on many different cars, done full engine builds on mostly nissan motors, engine swaps (not LS) and so on. In the past year, I redesigned my suspension on the go kart I just sold. It was a double wishbone IFS (I just built it for more clearance and camber and caster adjustment). I also made new spindles and adapted bigger hubs. I also converted from a rear swing arm to a triangulated 3 link. I designed and fabricated it all, and it performed great. I sent a rod through my engine and decided it was time to build something street legal again.

I will likely make a back half tube frame chassis (more like a modified 4 point cage) and attach shock mounting points and bars for making double wishbone IRS.

Am I a pro, F no, do I have the desire and the space to do this, yep. Will I be able to trust the work I have done, yep.

I am in no way offended or discouraged by the questioning of the completion of the project. I know exactly what you speak of, these grand ideas, but poor execution. I plan on buying the engine and transmission later this year to start prepping it. Then some time in 2021, find a car and get to work

Last edited:

benjy

I dunno, with all that experience why are you worried about the lug pattern? That’s like building your own house and stressing over what paint roller you’ll use before you even have plans drawn up.