MIL control (malfunction indicator lamp)

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
When reworking a wiring harness I always extend the brown/white MIL wire that comes from the fuse box and hooks to the gauge cluster.

Is this what turns the check engine light on and if so could we save some time extending it and also not have a check engine light displayed?

If anyone has ever tried it or wants to try it the shared information would be much appreciated.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
At least for my model which is an '09, the MIL control wire comes from the ECM. It's just an ECM ground switch circuit that turns the CEL on in the cluster.

I feel like I'm missing something with your question. Seems a bit strange. I would think that you would have most circuits memorized by now. :)

Ross

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't want my check engine light (CEL) disabled with wiring, since I have invested in HP Tuners.
I can turn off the specific engine codes that are no longer useful, which turns off the CEL, but leaves it available to turn back on if a new engine code is thrown.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
At least for my model which is an '09, the MIL control wire comes from the ECM. It's just an ECM ground switch circuit that turns the CEL on in the cluster.

I feel like I'm missing something with your question. Seems a bit strange. I would think that you would have most circuits memorized by now. :)
I was not sure if it was just one of several inputs into a logic circuit that could be turned on by other inputs.
Memorize! We have a team of almost 600 engineers on call that keeps me from having to memorize anything. ;)

I wouldn't want my check engine light (CEL) disabled with wiring, since I have invested in HP Tuners.
I can turn off the specific engine codes that are no longer useful, which turns off the CEL, but leaves it available to turn back on if a new engine code is thrown.
I agree, I was thinking it would be an easy way to turn off the CEL for the folks that don't have HP tuners. If they ever felt they have a problem they could go to there local auto parts supplier and have them pull the codes.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Also, if there are any issues with that particular circuit, it will throw a P0650 code. Kind of funny if you think about it since you'll never see any indication of a problem on the dash.