Minnesota Registration

Jmar1622

Figure I'll add since I just finished up.

The plates were really easy. Donor title and manufacturer certificate of origin. If you picked up, have a copy of the invoice to show you paid taxes in TX. My kit VIN became my VIN, registered as a convertible, set your value and write your check. Make sure you get your donor title back and a copy of the MCO DF supplied.

You have to get it inspected. A buddy who repairs salvaged vehicles said St Cloud inspections is better to deal with than St Paul. Get there early if you don't have an appointment. I got there 30 minutes before they opened and had 7 vehicles in front of me. I brought the special construction form I had filled out with me, the copy of the MCO and the title for the donor, also receipts for the seats and rims. I explained what parts were from where and waited about 25 minutes. Got the "passed" paperwork and on my way. No fees.

Then back to the dmv. Provided all the same paperwork I had given to the inspection guy and the "passed" form. No fees.

KingChuck24

Then back to the dmv. Provided all the same paperwork I had given to the inspection guy and the "passed" form. No fees.
I am a little confused, so you went to the DMV the first time without your car and gave them all the paper work. Did they give you plates? Then you went to saint cloud to get it inspected, why did you need to go back to the DMV? Also did they give you a timeframe in which you had to get the car inspected?

Jmar1622

I am a little confused, so you went to the DMV the first time without your car and gave them all the paper work. Did they give you plates? Then you went to saint cloud to get it inspected, why did you need to go back to the DMV? Also did they give you a timeframe in which you had to get the car inspected?
Yes, I went to the dmv without my car, gave them the title to the donor, df invoice and mco from df. Then I got it inspected. I had to go back to provide the passed inspection form. I suppose you could trailer it to the inspection site and then do a one stop at the dmv, but I wanted to drive it. No time frame given. Some people have been driving theirs for a couple years without inspection. I had someone tell me they wouldn't provide new tabs without the inspection though. Not sure how accurate that was, but I didn't want to chance it. Laws changed in Nov of 2021 regarding kit cars so they might be grandfathered in.

KingChuck24

Yes, I went to the dmv without my car, gave them the title to the donor, df invoice and mco from df. Then I got it inspected. I had to go back to provide the passed inspection form. I suppose you could trailer it to the inspection site and then do a one stop at the dmv, but I wanted to drive it. No time frame given. Some people have been driving theirs for a couple years without inspection. I had someone tell me they wouldn't provide new tabs without the inspection though. Not sure how accurate that was, but I didn't want to chance it. Laws changed in Nov of 2021 regarding kit cars so they might be grandfathered in.
Sweet thanks for all the detail, I suppose all I need to do then is set up the appointment and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from there!

KingChuck24

Finally I am getting around to registering the car. I waited because I wanted to just get it driving and working before doing it but now I am definitely regretting that.

I have been on the dmv website trying to make an appointment with no luck, there is no availability anywhere within 100 miles of me. I tried calling and the call center said they get no information on when new times are posted which is 30 days in advance. They also said as of April 1st they are no longer accepting walk-in's so that is off the table as well. Did any of you have this issue? Is there a good time to go on the website to try to get an appointment? Should I maybe drive out to the dmv and try to talk to one of the inspectors to ask them when they add times and if there is any way to speed it up?

KD0AXS

Finally I am getting around to registering the car. I waited because I wanted to just get it driving and working before doing it but now I am definitely regretting that.

I have been on the dmv website trying to make an appointment with no luck, there is no availability anywhere within 100 miles of me. I tried calling and the call center said they get no information on when new times are posted which is 30 days in advance. They also said as of April 1st they are no longer accepting walk-in's so that is off the table as well. Did any of you have this issue? Is there a good time to go on the website to try to get an appointment? Should I maybe drive out to the dmv and try to talk to one of the inspectors to ask them when they add times and if there is any way to speed it up?
Registration and inspection are two separate things. Just go to your local DMV to do the registration. They just won't send out your title until you get it inspected, but you're legal to drive it. I'm going on 3 years and still haven't done my inspection. I guess I probably should get that done...lol.

KingChuck24

Registration and inspection are two separate things. Just go to your local DMV to do the registration. They just won't send out your title until you get it inspected, but you're legal to drive it. I'm going on 3 years and still haven't done my inspection. I guess I probably should get that done...lol.
Oh ok, I will try going into the DMV today and see what they say. Thanks!

KingChuck24

So I received my MCO from DF today and looked at the back and there are 5 sections. Distribution Dealer Assignment 1, 2, and 3, Odometer disclosure for retail Sale, and Lineholder. Do any of these need to be filled out before registration? Also when I go to the DMV do I just say that I need to register a kit car or do I say I am registering a built car?

Goblinfanclub1234

I did not write anything on my MCO.

found this thread about Minnesota

Jmar1622

So I received my MCO from DF today and looked at the back and there are 5 sections. Distribution Dealer Assignment 1, 2, and 3, Odometer disclosure for retail Sale, and Lineholder. Do any of these need to be filled out before registration? Also when I go to the DMV do I just say that I need to register a kit car or do I say I am registering a built car?
I went to the Monticello DMV at the recommendation of another. Was super simple. I didn't fill any of that out. They asked questions and made the process easy. Mine is a convertible, valued at $18000, odometer I had set at something like 1000, and yes it's a kit car. They have a special check box now for kit cars.

KingChuck24

Ok so I went to the Ridgedale DMV today and got up to the person at front who told me that I was missing three things. He said I was missing an inspection form which must be passed before registration. He also said I was missing a PS2000 or PS200 form which is also required. Finally he said I needed a declaration of reconstruction form.

I have none of those and I am not sure how I would be able to drive it to inspection if I cannot get it titled. I also cannot get an appointment for inspection and they don't have walk-ins. He wouldn't let me talk to his supervisor because they were to busy and when I asked him if there is any other forms of inspection like an inspector coming to your house he gave me the DMV business card that tells you to go to their website.

I'm a little stuck right now and I am not really sure what I should do next. Should I try a different DMV?

Edit: This is the PS2000 form https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV_TitleandRegisterMotorVehicleApplication.pdf

I also just looked and realized I should have this form done: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV_DeclarationofReconstruction_SpecialAssembly.pdf

Jmar1622

Ok so I went to the Ridgedale DMV today and got up to the person at front who told me that I was missing three things. He said I was missing an inspection form which must be passed before registration. He also said I was missing a PS2000 or PS200 form which is also required. Finally he said I needed a declaration of reconstruction form.

I have none of those and I am not sure how I would be able to drive it to inspection if I cannot get it titled. I also cannot get an appointment for inspection and they don't have walk-ins. He wouldn't let me talk to his supervisor because they were to busy and when I asked him if there is any other forms of inspection like an inspector coming to your house he gave me the DMV business card that tells you to go to their website.

I'm a little stuck right now and I am not really sure what I should do next. Should I try a different DMV?

Edit: This is the PS2000 form https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV_TitleandRegisterMotorVehicleApplication.pdf

I also just looked and realized I should have this form done: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV_DeclarationofReconstruction_SpecialAssembly.pdf
Drive to the Monticello one. It was super easy. Declaration of reconstruction is for the inspection if I remember right and the inspection is after unless you want to trailer it. I drove mine most of last year being registered without inspection. Dan hasn't had his inspected and has been driving it for a few years.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Montana was super easy and the upfront cost was less than taxes would have been if I was able to register in my home state.

Goblinfanclub1234

I still had to get an inspection for Montana, I ended up trailering my car from Denver to Wyoming to get a Montana inspection. because the Colorado DMV is trash

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Any law enforcement officer can do the inspection, it's just a matter of how friendly local law enforcement is near you.