Mirrors

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
My mirror cracked over the winter then cracked again the other week. Makes it pretty much useless. Was going to buy a new set but I haven't seen many folding aftermarket options like there were when I bought my mirrors, and I'd prefer that they fold.

I going to buy this and see if I can get my vinyl cutter to cut through it, I've cut gasket material and thick magnetic material before so judging from the reviews I'm guessing it'll cut it. I'll scan the mirror and trace it's profile then have replaceable "glass" insert. Will have to see how "fun house mirror" looking it is.

If it works please let us know

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
This turned out better than I expected, very fun house mirror, but has potential. I wanted a quick backer printed so I made it really thin, printing a thicker backer now and will use some spray adhesive to see if I can get the mirror to stick and stay flat, should cut down on the "fun house" look. This stuff is only .027" thick, the stock mirror is .075"

If it would fit, one cut out of 1/8" acrylic mirror material would probably be best/cheapest/easiest. I'm going to see if a guy I use to work with can route me out a set to try.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Printed a .080" thick plate and glued the mirror to it. Was a little tight going in the housing, ~.107". A lot less "fun house" but still not great. Printed another base for the passenger side mirror at 1/16" fit much better but again fun house mirror looking. I think 1/8" material will be too thick, so at this point I'm going to look for another set of mirrors and just accept they won't pivot.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I like the takeoff GSX-R mirrors I've got. Solid build and they fold. They're only wired as indicators, but it shouldn't bee too much trouble to get them to function as both running lights and indicators. Mine are from a 2009, but these ought to work fine:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I like the takeoff GSX-R mirrors I've got. Solid build and they fold. They're only wired as indicators, but it shouldn't bee too much trouble to get them to function as both running lights and indicators. Mine are from a 2009, but these ought to work fine:
OEM is going to be way better than the knock offs. That's a great deal too!

Jcasson

[/QU
My mirrors are only 2 wire, how do you make them to have the running light function? I’m a huge noob when it comes to car wiring lol

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
For anyone converting the mirror turn signal light to work as as a running light as well, you'll want to consider changing the bulbs out to LED's.
The incandescent bulbs run far too hot for continuous use and the eBay lights can't handle the heat. It ended up warping/melting the lens covers. Required purchasing another pair of mirrors as the covers weren't available separately.
Purchased some LED bulbs that run much cooler and prevent the len failures. No issues so far.

Jcasson

For anyone converting the mirror turn signal light to work as as a running light as well, you'll want to consider changing the bulbs out to LED's.
The incandescent bulbs run far too hot for continuous use and the eBay lights can't handle the heat. It ended up warping/melting the lens covers. Required purchasing another pair of mirrors as the covers weren't available separately.
Purchased some LED bulbs that run much cooler and prevent the len failures. No issues so far.
Good to know. Thank you