Missing Ground

I am still working on the harness. In Part 6, at 1:23, I need to connect 3 ground wires to a new ground lug I just taped in. I don't see the fuse box ground here. Where does that wire come from. I would like to try to trace it back to see what I have done, but don't see it mentioned in any of the previous videos. I think I might have just trimmed it too short. (Video link for convenience if it helps.)

Thanks

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I wish I could help. I did my harness a month or so ago but don’t recall exactly where that fuse box ground was. I think it was a heavier gauge, but don’t remember which plug it came from.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I can’t tell what your donor is but as general guidelines if you ground all of the black wires from the various fuse block connectors you should be good. You will likely have some that aren’t needed but should not be a problem.

I wish I could help. I did my harness a month or so ago but don’t recall exactly where that fuse box ground was. I think it was a heavier gauge, but don’t remember which plug it came from.
I appreciate this feedback. I dug around and found a black wire that was a larger gauge and have extended and grounded it. Fingers crossed!

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would bet that you will have more than 1 ground on the fuse box that is needed. Since I'm at a computer instead of phone, I can see your signature but I don't have the wiring diagrams for your donor.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I appreciate this feedback. I dug around and found a black wire that was a larger gauge and have extended and grounded it. Fingers crossed!
Do you happen to know where the wire you found came from?

I ran into the exact same issue tonight and after digging around I still haven't found anything.

I label every loose wire as I work through the videos and the only loose black wires I have are the ones I extended on the headlight harness from the prior video.

This is the connector and ground that I guess I cut too short. I don't know that it is the correct one. I have not yet been able to confirm completely that this wire should be grounded. Just an educated guess. Hope this helps! (The wire is over the top of my thumb)

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
On the later donors the only ground that comes out of the X2 fuse box connector is the wiper motor ground.

You may want to invest in an alldata subscription since if it has the same info as the service manual, you can check all of the connections to confirm they are going where the need to, for your donor.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
This is the connector and ground that I guess I cut too short. I don't know that it is the correct one. I have not yet been able to confirm completely that this wire should be grounded. Just an educated guess. Hope this helps! (The wire is over the top of my thumb)
Thanks! I'll see where mine goes and make sure it's not an orphan wire hanging out somewhere.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I feel better now. I checked my multiplug and this wire was already thinned from mine:

This was one I had cut in one of the previous videos but still had about 4" left. The long remnant looked like it was still in the harness in one of the pics in my build log and Lonny noted it should be cut (Page 3 of my Build Log).

I think I am good with just 3 of the 4 grounds mentioned in the video.

Thanks again for the help, especially the pics of the one you found.

PHENDERSON

Hello everyone, first post here from #337 in MN.

I'm struggling with this issue now also. I can't locate the "fuse box ground" anywhere. My donor was a 2006 SS/SC. I wish I knew exactly where this fuse box ground originates from so I could trace it from the source (which fuse box housing(s) and which locations in that/those housings). If anyone knows this specific detail it would be great. I've rewatched the videos a couple times and don't think I've missed anything but I just don't have any loose ground wire coming from the fuse box. I have the copper lug hanging off the other side, the newly attached copper lug, and the four 4ft extended ground wires.

I considered using one of the 4 extended grounds but I think this would only connect the 2 copper lugs to each other.

Maybe I only need to attach the fuel pump ground, coolant tank ground, and newly installed copper lug ground?

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Hello everyone, first post here from #337 in MN.

I'm struggling with this issue now also. I can't locate the "fuse box ground" anywhere. My donor was a 2006 SS/SC.
I never found one and moved on. This is still on my list of things to watch for when I try my first start. All of the ground tests passed at the other end when I finished everything up, but if I have any issues I'll be revisiting the fuse box ground situation first.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The fuse box ground comes from the white square connector in the first box.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
On late model harnesses it is position B2.
On early harnesses it is position F2

PHENDERSON

Okay thanks. I looked at my square white fuse box and I have the thick black ground at that F2 location and that is connected to the copper lug...and I suppose to the 4 extended ground wires. Do the newly attached copper lug ground and the one from the white fuse box need to be connected together? If so I can just add a 5th extension for that purpose.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Grounds just need to be "grounded". They will all be connected together through a frame connection to the negative terminal of the battery. Doesn't really matter how that is done. add a separate lug or connect it to the one you have, doesn't really matter. Just make sure your extension wire is similar size as the existing.