Missing hardware from kit

Peregrinus

I have a few emails into Adam with no reply so far, so I figured I'd ask.

What hardware is required to mount the brakes? I'm missing the spacers for the front and any and all bolts to mount the brakes front and back.

Looks like m12x1.75? For bolt and pitch. What size spacer is needed is it something I can grab from a hardware store? And does anyone have any pics of the exact hardware needed to mount them? Is it just straight bolts or bolts and lock washers or what? Thanks guys!

Peregrinus

I did have a bag with 2 m12x1.75x55 bolts but they hit the back of the rotor if I don't use at least 2 washers on them. And that only mounted one caliper so, I assume I'm just missing the needed hardware for the brakes all together.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I used my own bolts for the brakes.
The spacer was a DF part, but I think there are multiple donor calipers, so your may be different.

Peregrinus

Sorry, I had an SS/SC so all 4 calipers and mounts were supplied by df. Should have said that in the first post. I also just verified with the front wheels off I'm definitely missing the spacers. I'll just have to wait for a reply from Adam then I guess. It's an early frame #0017 and I bought it second hand from a member who didn't finish it. So it either didn't ship originally or was lost in the sale somehow.

Peregrinus

Looks like the back I can mount tho, what length bolt should be used? I can go buy some today. I'll have to just go look, I just couldnt find any pics of the exact hardware used of the brakes front and back.

Murcielago311

Here are my brake hardware bags with the parking brake kit. The bolts that came in the rear bag I used to bolt the caliper to the machined adapters. I bought longer bolts and used the supplied nuts to bolt the adapter to the steering knuckle.

Attachments

Peregrinus

Thanks! yeah I dont have any bags like that, so I wonder if it just didn't go out in his original kit when it shipped.

I have several emails and forum PM's to the df guys, hoping to hear back soon. Thanks again for the pic!

SwerveMonkey

Bumping this thread for more info...

I'd like to use donor bolts as Ross mentions
I used my own bolts for the brakes.
The spacer was a DF part, but I think there are multiple donor calipers, so your may be different.
but at this point, I've either misplaced them or used them already
does anyone know where I can get new bolts that match the donor spec or better?

EDIT: I am considering this from autozone, can anyone confirm these match?
Dorman Brake Caliper Mounting Bolt 14963

Second EDIT: what are the DF supplied rear calipers?? I just realized, and tested thereafter, that the donor mounting bolts are too short to go through the provided bracket/spacer

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

More shop tools that are almost optional:
Thread pitch identification tool is $9
Bolt diameter identification tool is $23
They are nice to have. ;)
love that optimism, every new challenge is an opportunity for a new tool

also, since Gtstorey mentioned it, I can get replicates of the bolts from the kit hardware pack. I'll try and get out to my local hardware big box and see if they have those bolts on hand with the length needed.

Thanks Guys :- D

Goblin Graber

I always have way better luck finding the fasteners I need at ACE hardware than at Home Depot. My stores even let you get grade 8 sae or 10.9 metric for $2.99/lb instead of paying the crazy per piece prices.

SwerveMonkey

If these parts are missing from your kit let me know what they are and we will ship replacements.
Thanks Lonny, I've no missing parts here, everything is accounted for from your end :- )

It's on my end that I'm missing parts from the donor car, I've either misplaced or lost complete
I saw this thread and bumped rather than start a new thread just to get info on what to replace them with

I think I will get some grade 8's from local suppliers and use them for the knuckle to bracket fitting, at least then I can have the head of the bolt facing the caliper if they are slightly too long

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Make sure the 5mm extra doesn't hit anything. I remember the 55mm not extending much out of the caliper (if any) but thinking the next size up being likely to hit.