Missouri Registration

Davidljones88

I'm in Barnhart. I used to live in Imperial, too. I had my car inspected at Kevin's. No emissions test is required in Missouri for Kit Cars. I got my car legal last month.

Davidljones88

You're welcome. I recommend talking to Jacy at the Imperial DMV. She had to learn the process, but now she knows what to do. I don't recommend going to an employee who doesn't know what a kitcar means.

Sebnuts

I had my inspection at the state highway patrol, Troop C in St. Louis, on 09/08/2023. The same day, I traveled to Jefferson City to submit my paperwork and pay taxes in person.
Today, I received a call from Troop C saying they had my VIN tag ready. I'm now scheduled to go in this Saturday to have them apply it.

Did they give you any options on where they applied the VIN? Where did they install in on your vehicles?

jamesm

Goblin Guru
My tag is to the right of the instrument cluster. They'll drill two holes for the tag and rivet it to the chassis.

Davidljones88

My VIN (8 digit ) is near the fuel tank, behind the drivers seat on the frame. I didn't have to go to Troop C. I just got a normal inspection with no emissions test. Kit cars are emissions exempt in MO. I'm in Barnhart and there's a few other Goblin owners nearby.

Last edited:

Sebnuts

My VIN is near the fuel tang, behind the drivers seat on the frame. I didn't have to go to Troop C.
Who installed your VIN tag if it wasn't Troop C?
My understanding is that this will be titled as a 2023 Dunebuggy, and because it's a new vehicle, it won't need safety or emissions testing in MO for the first 10 years, or 150,000 miles.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Troop D in Carthage did mine. They asked where I wanted the tag but said it had to be "inside the passenger compartment".

My understanding is that this will be titled as a 2023 Dunebuggy
You might check on that. Mine is titled as a 2018 special construction vehicle. I don't know if the dunebuggy moniker will help or hurt you when it comes to insurance....

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Troop D in Carthage did mine. They asked where I wanted the tag but said it had to be "inside the passenger compartment".

You might check on that. Mine is titled as a 2018 special construction vehicle. I don't know if the dunebuggy moniker will help or hurt you when it comes to insurance....
Yeah, that got my attention also. Mine is not a dune buggy in MO. I’d have to look to see what it is for sure. It’s been awhile.