Missouri Registration

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have a question for in Missouri, what are the exact stipulations to getting something like this road legal? I want to build my own version using a 1500cc V-twin motorcycle engine and only be a one seater. Do you think that will be able to be street legal?
If it's on four wheels, it should be doable. I have no clue if it's two or three wheels. Just make sure you have proof of the parts you use to build it with. Title in your name for the donor vehicle is best. Keep all receipts and records along the way.

redtank22

Sorry to Dig an old post up but I did have some questions.

I just bought a running and driving Donor that someone was using as a daily. It was street legal and everything. My question is do I have to pay sales tax to get the vehicle titled in my name or can I go apply for a junk title on the vehicle and skip the part of paying the sales tax on it. Also after that what is the next step with the DMV or HP

George

Goblin Guru
After you have the title in you name fill out the application from the MDR. with those and you bill of sale for the kit and paper work from DF Kit car make an appointment with local highway patrol for first inspection. when the vin is issued highway patrol will contact you to come in and get you vin attached. The with insurance and paper work you receive al little later get it licensed. The highway patrol said you may drive it to each for the inspection.

Brad

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I kept my bill of sale and a copy of the title that was surrendered when I scrapped the body for proof of purchase of the engine and transmission. Never titled it in my name or got a junk title.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
On the DOR 551, what did you guys put for the "Major components parts replaced"? Anything else listed under box 9?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I listed the engine, transmission, and drivetrain, each on their own line. I used the year, make, serial number from the donor car on each line.

I did not put anything else on line 9. You could put the harness and ECM if you were so inclined.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Had my inspection today at Troop C in St Louis. They were really friendly and everything went smoothly. Going to drove over to Jeff City tomorrow morning and submit all the paper work in person to hopefully speed up the process.

I didn't realize that today wasn't a safety inspection and I was told that once they put the VIN tag on then I could get the safety inspection done and that I would need a windshield or something to attach the safety inspection sticker to.

They had me sit inside while they did the inspection so other than the windshield nothing else was brought up that I would need to change or have for the safety inspection.

What/where has everyone else had their safety inspection sticker attached to?

redtank22

Sounds like it went smoothly. Did you have any of the body panels on when you went in? also, did you use the cobalt seatbelts or have the 5 point harnesses in.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
No body work on, used the stock seat belts as a precaution.

Dropped off all the paperwork, and paid taxes this morning at the DOR in Jeff City. Glad I went, with me only having a copy of the original Missouri cobalt title (not in my name) they asked that I did a bill of sale with the scrap yard as the recipient. If I would have had a receipt from the scrap yard it would have been easier but I'd recommend getting a scrap title.

Was happy to see that I now know my VIN number so I'm sending the information out to my state farm guy now.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I don't know why they are asking for a safety inspection. I didn't have one. My car is labeled as a 2018 (in 2018) so it is considered a new vehicle. Missouri just changed the law on the safety inspection so they only need to be done after they are 10 years old, I believe. When I went to get my license, she asked me for a safety inspection and I told her "Why would I need one, it's a new vehicle?", she responded with "Let's see if the system requires it for me to process", so she continued and it went all the way through without requiring one. She even said "I guess it doesn't need one".

You don't need a windshield.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I don't know why they are asking for a safety inspection. I didn't have one. My car is labeled as a 2018 (in 2018) so it is considered a new vehicle. Missouri just changed the law on the safety inspection so they only need to be done after they are 10 years old, I believe. When I went to get my license, she asked me for a safety inspection and I told her "Why would I need one, it's a new vehicle?", she responded with "Let's see if the system requires it for me to process", so she continued and it went all the way through without requiring one. She even said "I guess it doesn't need one".

You don't need a windshield.
Thats what I figured. After the fact I saw on the back of the 551 or the application for title it says new cars don't need safety inspection. Just another inconsistency among the inspection stations.

Really happy it's all over with.