MisterDave's - Ext. city Goblin - 09 SS/TC donor

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I had a hard time doing this as well. My best advice is, take very seriously how you prep the end of the hose for pulling. A few points:

1. Cut as little of the hose away as possible while securing it around your pulling device. The less hose that's present there, the less hose is available to take the strain of being pulled through the frame. If there's too little there, it'll just snap right off rather than hold.

2. Once your pulling device is in the end of the hose, use four, five, eight zip ties between the end of the hose and further in. The more zip ties, the merrier, within limits of course. I only used two on my first couple of attempts, then I got real about it and used five.

3. It helps to warm the hose a bit before pulling. On my three failed attempts, I did nothing. On the successful attempt, I left the hose lay in the sun for a half-hour or so before prepping/pulling. It may have made no difference, or it may have made all the difference.

4. Don't conserve your Tire Wet. Between my fails and my success, I used an entire spray bottle and yes, it made a mess. But you know what? I had a mess, AND had two hoses pulled through my frame, so it is what it is.

I think point #1 above is the most important, but, a combination of everything above got me some success.

https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/arks-city-goblin-2008-ss-tc-donor.1301/page-11#post-26825

Last edited:

MisterDave

Have you prepped the inside of the chassis tube that your pulling the hose through prior to your attempt?
I sprayed a lot of tire wet down the tube so it would run down the tube, but I didn’t do the paint roller that they did in the video. I just went out and got a roller today to see if I can get more tire wet coating the tube.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I sprayed a lot of tire wet down the tube so it would run down the tube, but I didn’t do the paint roller that they did in the video. I just went out and got a roller today to see if I can get more tire wet coating the tube.
That'll make all the difference. That tube requires to be pre wet on all sides of the bore, the full length.

MisterDave

So I gave it another try. This time the hose almost made it all the way and then the hose broke. On the plus side I have figured out a method for pulling it out. My frame is up side down. I sit down and brace my feet against the frame and pull the hose... then my son can step on the hose between the frame and my hands and it comes out smooth.
Now I’m worried I won’t have enough hose. Can I just buy this same hose at a local parts store?

Goblin Guru
Don't give up, you'll get it. I almost gave up, but I'm glad I didn't.

You can get more hose easily if you need to. DF sends enough extra hose that you can screw up quite a few times and still have enough. I failed on three pulls, and I still had over a foot left over after I got it pulled.

MisterDave

Well, I'm on my third fail... The only thing I can figure is that it's too cold. My garage isn't heated and we were mid 40s outside. I might have to pack it up and wait for warmer days. My garage floor is like a slip and slide after that last try:oops:. Hopefully that tire wet doesn't effect the powder coat. I tried to get most of it off, but I'm sure I missed something.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I did read someone heated the hose first. Maybe take it inside and warm up near a heater. Then quickly move out to the garage?
Man, I am feeling for you!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I did read someone heated the hose first. Maybe take it inside and warm up near a heater. Then quickly move out to the garage?
Man, I am feeling for you!
Wait for the wife to go to the store then put it in the dryer :oops: My ex came home to find 2 go kart tires in the oven one day. It could have something to do with her being my ex:rolleyes:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I used radiator hose from the local auto store... they only had 8', so I had to buy another 8' from a different store. Now I have 2 different brands of hose, but it works just fine. I measured the frame and hoses, the smaller one was easier to pull. Heating the hose only works if your frame isn't 40F... you need to heat everything. Open the inside garage door, put a fan in the door, and give it a few hours for the house furnace to heat the garage. Plug in a spare heater, borrow a friends heater... You only need a half day of heat.

MisterDave

Just a quick update:
Wiring: I just finished video 6 of the wiring. Those instructions on the video are excellent.
Frame: I've decided to wait for warmer weather to try to get the hoses pulled. So the frame sits... upside down... for a bit longer.
Engine: I put on the smaller serpentine belt to eliminate the ac. I remove the AC and AC lines.
Question: Do you just leave those two plugs for the ac or do you thin them from the engine wiring?

Goblin Guru
Just a quick update:
Wiring: I just finished video 6 of the wiring. Those instructions on the video are excellent.
Frame: I've decided to wait for warmer weather to try to get the hoses pulled. So the frame sits... upside down... for a bit longer.
Engine: I put on the smaller serpentine belt to eliminate the ac. I remove the AC and AC lines.
Question: Do you just leave those two plugs for the ac or do you thin them from the engine wiring?
I'm glad you asked that question, I've been wondering what I should do with the AC plugs, myself.

MisterDave

Finished video 8 on wiring.
now I’m looking at the parts prep video where they prep the engine.
Is this the evap valve? I should remove this?

Also, my coolant hose that went to the overflow tank goes to a T. In the video looks like the tank it off the engine. Should I just remove it at the T junction?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Dave: Yes that is the evap valve. I assume you are in a state where emissions will not be tested. if so, you can remove it and cap off the port.
And, i just removed the overflow into the T for now as well.

IMG_7589.jpgIMG_7590.jpg

MisterDave

I managed to trace the MAF sensor wires to the other side of the engine. I just have to tape it up now. Trying to follow the video with engine prep... the video says to tape up the speed sensor wire. I looked for that wire where it was in the video, but I don’t see it on my engine. Do I need to do this step on the turbo engine?