MisterDave's - Ext. city Goblin - 09 SS/TC donor

WYGoblin

I tried to use the same hose for the clutch and couldn't get it over the port on the res. The one for the clutch is bigger and it wouldn't spread enough. I even tried to heat it up to go over but gave up. I might have been able to get it but ran out of patience lol

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
This is what they had in mind for the clutch reservoir line:

Take your current hose off the master cylinder and cut it in half and use the nylon line to patch them together.

I bought a couple of feet of this 5/16" ID... instead. It is a little pricing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMOTE-BRAKE-FLUID-RESERVOIR-HOSE-5-16-ID-Sold-by-the-Foot-see-description/332975349019?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

WYGoblin

This is what they had in mind for the clutch reservoir line:

Take your current hose off the master cylinder and cut it in half and use the nylon line to patch them together.

I bought a couple of feet of this 5/16" ID... instead. It is a little pricing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMOTE-BRAKE-FLUID-RESERVOIR-HOSE-5-16-ID-Sold-by-the-Foot-see-description/332975349019?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
That is similar to what I did. Ordered the brake hose so I didn't have any splices in it. Figured it would be less chances for leaks.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
DF's instructions were to cut the rubber hose you have on the clutch master cylinder in two. Install one piece on the master and the other on the reservoir. Then, use the plastic hose with hose clamps to connect the two pieces. Not the cleanest, but it works.

MisterDave

Making progress. Feels good to get the sub frame on. I ordered some hose for the clutch to reservoir line. Just thinking I’d prefer it to be one solid line. Here are some progress pics. Be sure to let me know if you notice anything wrong. I thank you all for your input. I don’t think I would be able to do this without the help of this forum. Thank you

MisterDave

This is the blue wire that connects to the radiator fan wire right?

Assuming I have the right plug. Couldn’t I cut the blue wire at the original plug and use that to connect to the blue wire coming from the new fan?
Is the white just a ground? Do I need to do anything with the white?

Murcielago311

You can connect from where the original plug was or trace it up the engine harness farther and connect the new wire closer to where it comes out of the fuse box. That's what I did since the new light blue wire going to the new fan was already up by the fuse box.

The blue is the only wire you need from the two cobalt fans connectors, since the new fan should already be grounded up front.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Leave the yellow wire though, to the secondary fan, just Incase you want to use it or as a “failsafe“.

MisterDave

Thanks for the help, I did cut that blue wire from the plug and connected it to my fan wire. The white wire I just capped off with some heat shrink.

This morning I tried to mount my inter-cooler water pump. I got the mount plate(diamond shaped) bolted on to the oil pan. Now the next session of Dave's dumb questions.... There are two screws that go into that plate to mount the water pump clamp. These screws are 3/4" long. With the plate being 1/4 thick and clamp mount is only about 0.1" that 3/4" screw seems too long. Am I missing something? the screws bottom out and hit the oil pan.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the help, I did cut that blue wire from the plug and connected it to my fan wire. The white wire I just capped off with some heat shrink.

This morning I tried to mount my inter-cooler water pump. I got the mount plate(diamond shaped) bolted on to the oil pan. Now the next session of Dave's dumb questions.... There are two screws that go into that plate to mount the water pump clamp. These screws are 3/4" long. With the plate being 1/4 thick and clamp mount is only about 0.1" that 3/4" screw seems too long. Am I missing something? the screws bottom out and hit the oil pan.
yep on the screws. I used shorter ones.

MisterDave

Anyone have any tips or tricks for cutting this elbow to complete the turbo plumbing? I haven’t cut into it yet because it feels too much like I’m just guessing.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'm running an HHR, so mine is a bit different, but thats all I did, guess. I just cut off about half inch and kept shortening untill it looked close.

MisterDave

I ended up cutting just about an inch off one side of that elbow and everything seemed to work out....

If everything works out as planned for today.... I might attempt my first start!!!
Let me know if there is any advice on things to check before the first key turn.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Like JB said, I don't think anyone's going to be able to give you exact numbers. I know I cut at least an inch off the tight elbow that goes under the intake manifold, and I cut off at least 2 inches off the thinner tube that goes from the turbo to the intercooler.

What did you do with the coated clamp that's part of bag L23D, "Intake hardware for TC"? I don't see anywhere it can fit my build .... just curious.

MisterDave

Like JB said, I don't think anyone's going to be able to give you exact numbers. I know I cut at least an inch off the tight elbow that goes under the intake manifold, and I cut off at least 2 inches off the thinner tube that goes from the turbo to the intercooler.

What did you do with the coated clamp that's part of bag L23D, "Intake hardware for TC"? I don't see anywhere it can fit my build .... just curious.
I was actually hoping your build log might provide an answer for that coated clamp. I was waiting to see if you had any replys to that one. Mine is still in it's bag.

Goblin Guru
I'm sure it's there to keep the heater hose on that side, off of the alternator pulley. I just don't see anywhere it fits. I'll look at it with fresh eyes later.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Guys, guys, guys!!!!! I got you. You know I can only help with the trivial stuff. :)

Yes. It secures the coolant line.
Jeremy, you installed your metal intake tube opposite of mine. I have the vacuum line on the outside. Just for reference.

IMG_8440.jpg

Goblin Guru
Silly me, looking for a bolt hole that matches when the **** clamp CAME WITH a bolt and a nylok nut. DERP!

Interesting on the intake tube. I followed the images in Adam's helpful pics album for mine, and don't I recall reading somewhere that the further the MAF sensor is from the actual intake/air filter, the better?