MisterDave's - Ext. city Goblin - 09 SS/TC donor

MisterDave

My son(11) and I have started this project this past September (2019). I chose this project to get my kid learning about tools and how things work. That if you put the work in you can have some awesome results. This is also a big learning experience for me, as I have never done mechanic work to this extent. Most of my experience is mostly small engines and motorcycles.
We found an 09 ss/tc donor with about 85,000 miles on it. It has a salvage title from a rear end collision. The kit we are building is #165 and is a street extended frame.
Everything is out of the donor and the frame is in the process of being powder coated and I have set up a table in our basement to work on the wiring harness. It's getting a bit cold to work in the garage here in RI, so progress will be slow. But I am enjoying the time working with my son and we are learning a lot.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Your son's smile says it all!
Hours of time together is priceless.
Enjoy every minute with him!!!!!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Fantastic! You and your son will have a great time building your Goblin and he should learn a lot about many things mechanical and even some electrical if he is helping you with the wire harness. Keep the photos and reports coming!

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Just got the frame back from powder coating.
View attachment 11474
Not a great picture to see the color. Looks much better in sun light. The color I chose was black chrome II.
now back to the wiring harness. Haha
I'm still struggling to decide which color to coat. I've been looking at ultra black chrome but now see that black chrome II looks awesome. Can't wait to see some pics of yours chassis in the sunlight.

MisterDave

Getting ahead of myself a little.... I am looking at quick release steering wheel set ups. Could anyone recommend a quick release set up that works with the goblin? Is there anything I should be looking for as far as fitment? The NRG brand seems to be popular, but there are a lot of different models to choose from.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Here are the parts I have used The hub adapter is the one NRG makes for the Cobalt

Steering WheelHub AdapterNRGSRK-177H $ 102.631Amazon
Steering Wheel Quick ReleaseNRGSRK-250BK $ 100.371Amazon
Steering WheelDrivenDR000133S $ 118.621Amazon

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Ron: Great info. Thanks for sharing.
Does that mean the standard steering wheel included in the kit would not work? Or, Is it just not great and you upgraded? Or your reason to upgrade? Thanks!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Ron: Great info. Thanks for sharing.
Does that mean the standard steering wheel included in the kit would not work? Or, Is it just not great and you upgraded? Or your reason to upgrade? Thanks!
The DF provided wheel is 3 bolt. I think my new one is a 6 bolt. You could use the kit wheel by making an adapter. My wheel is a suede wrap and is pretty comfortable, it also kept everything black to match the hub and quick release. So the upgrade was more on appearance and ease of entry and exit.

MisterDave

Here are the parts I have used The hub adapter is the one NRG makes for the Cobalt

Steering WheelHub AdapterNRGSRK-177H$ 102.631Amazon
Steering Wheel Quick ReleaseNRGSRK-250BK$ 100.371Amazon
Steering WheelDrivenDR000133S$ 118.621Amazon
Thank you for the info! I was looking at the same adapter... Quick release I was debating between that model and the 200(i think). Steering wheel I haven't narrowed down at all yet.

MisterDave

Tonight we tried to pull the hoses through the frame.... First attempt failed. The hose is about half way through the first rail. Then the hose broke right at the washer at the end of the rope of the puller tool. Now I can't seem to get the hose back out. Any ideas?

MisterDave

Pull harder. Had the same issue and thought it was stuck. I filled the entire tube with tire lube before starting, which I think helped a lot... plus I had a winch from HF: http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/jeffs-extended-track-07-ss-sc-donor-chassis-91.594/post-15369
Thanks for the motivation! I watched your video and then went back into the garage... set up to pull... tried a bunch of times and it didn't even budge. Then finally it moved! and the rest of it came out easy!
I plan to try a different set up and try pulling it through again tomorrow.