modding the DF windshield?

Parson Green

So, the heat/humidity monster is about to arrive here, for a long stay, in greater Kicaster (TX). It's not so bad here as what Houston gets (been there done that) but it's bad enough.

Which means that the DF-supplied windshield (which was an ideal size in late winter and early spring) will soon be blocking too much airflow for comfortable cruising.

Can see a talented someone buying a sheet of plexiglass, laying said DF windshield down on it and tracing out the shape like they were going to make an exact copy. Can then see that talented someone modifying said tracing such that they get a final/smaller version that looks good and blocks way less airflow. Cannot see myself being that talented someone. (Can see myself being someone who can remove and store away the stock windshield until cooler weather comes back.)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
As much as I like my hood and the Texas paint scheme, I have already had the thought about running without the windshield AND the hood.

I DO live in Houston........ :cool:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Lots of builders have cut down the DF windshield (IDrvSlo,). Some have even made their own (Alex).
Justin Reed's car:

Version 1 Doyle cars

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
make a wave the way you want, and cut the DF screen. Now you become the talented someone.
It
Cover the lexan with some blue painters tape to protect it from scratches, and use a jig saw to cut the lexan/polycarbonate screen. Use sandpaper to remove sharp edges. Go slow with a fine blade, so the lexan doesn't start hopping away from the jig saw base. You can do it, and it will cost less to buy a jig saw and painter's tape than hiring me to do it. But if you're desperate, I'll do it.

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
I ordered a pair of Bake built air wings for a Polaris that I am going to try this summer. Have not yet installed them.

Brad

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I don't have any finished pictures at the moment, but I changed the rake of the windshield bracket from ~73* to 50* and it looks much less like a wall and gives the windshield a bit of a curve. The metal mounting tabs are easy enough to bend in a small vice. You will have to redrill the hood on the outer edge holes to make the metal bracket fit the curvature of the hood. With the new angle, it effectively shortens the windshield which means less needs to be removed if going even shorter.

Thanks Lonny for the cutting tips. If any other members have cut their windshield with success and have any feedback please share.

Indy Lonnie

I've taken some BIG bugs to the windshield and one rock. I wouldn't have wanted to take those to the face. Something to consider.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Not too hot in Houston, yet. But, enough that I realized the windscreen does indeed make the cockpit a fairly dead air space. There are times I can even feel the heat from the engine roll forward a little when starting and stopping.

So I figured why not try to modify it like others have above. Try to get a little more air through the middle of the windscreen.

I retained the full height at the peak of the arches. So, very little protection direct in line of sight was lost.
I measured up the windscreen and laid out several different lines in AutoCad. I printed it out full size and then traced a line on the painters tape. The jig saw blade was for metal with 36 teeth per inch. It is pretty slow feed rate, but no issues at all.

It sure changes the look of it! My son said it looked like some old time race car. Well, this will be one old timer that will kick your butt!!!.... :)

All I need now are a pair of vinyl eyeballs to stick on the windscreen while parked places.

IMG_8222.jpgIMG_8237.jpgIMG_8240.jpgIMG_8242.jpgIMG_8243.jpgeyes.jpg

Parson Green

First update with the cut windshield. Great improvement! Just enough breeze through the upper middle of the cockpit. Felt no engine heat roll forward.
Highly recommend it!!!! :D
Nice job indeed!

Myself and FCM#2 are having discussions in this regard with my position being that a two-windshield solution would be best; i.e., a reduced-profile unit for the hottest weather and the stock unit for when it's cooler. Which then raises the question of what to do about a registration sticker ...

Definitely a fact that a lot of hot air off the engine finds its way forward with the stock windshield in place.

(FCM = Family Consortium Member)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
To make this a little more permanent for those who come later, I found a low tech way to re-create the template.

If assembled correctly, the bottom edge is 43.5” wide, and the vertical lines are 8.75”.

I lined up the top of the arches with the top edge of the windscreen.

Attachments

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Thanks! I'm going to try and throw this on the CNC and cut it.

Nuker-

To make this a little more permanent for those who come later, I found a low tech way to re-create the template.

If assembled correctly, the bottom edge is 43.5” wide, and the vertical lines are 8.75”.

I lined up the top of the arches with the top edge of the windscreen.